The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: making music  (Read 5976 times)

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
Re: making music
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 10:09:12 am »

The Adult Ed Blues Band project is working.  Not exactly as I had imagined, but it doubled the minimum number of 5 signups in order to go forward as a class.

I went to the first night prepared for ten horn players of various skill levels, but all with a foundation of music reading and some familiarity with their instruments.

I found myself in front of ten guitar players, one who could read music, two who could read TAB and the rest auditory learners who just have to hear a song over and over to get it. 

Week two I had guitar-friendly music, having discarded the  F, B-flat, E-flat keys horns normally use in exchange for the keys of C, G and D that the string guys live in.  I ended up working one tune for half an hour, discarding three and touching on two more that seemed to work.

Next Saturday evening we will continue to evolve that pattern. I have four more songs that are similar to the ones that we were able to play tolerably last week. I am thinking this can be made to work.

I also continue to attempt recruitment of a second or more lead instruments.  It is way too lonely at the top.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
Re: making music
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 11:37:05 pm »

I tugged, pulled, pleaded and cajoled, but could not keep the Bitterroot Blues Band project alive.  Darn spectator society anyway.

Tonight I packed my upright bass off to the regular Thursday evening bluegrass jam for the first time in a year.  I was pleasantly surprised to hold up my end of the bargain. It came right back to me, and my fingers lasted as long as the jam did.  There is something to be said for working with a really simple musical form.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up