The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gun Control  (Read 2363 times)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Gun Control
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:13:36 pm »

This is almost a good reason to have gun control...  Almost.  :laugh:

http://www.motifake.com/gun-control-funny-gun-oldie-pie-movie-funny-humor-demotivational-poster-73482.html

Seriously who doesn't like a good "p..." fight?  :ph34r:

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Gun Control
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 04:54:33 pm »

I don't get the connection, myself. Does this belong in "silly stuff?"
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 09:05:17 pm »

ML,

I've debated that myself. It is a threat to "return" to pie fighting.   ^_^

Which IMHO, is always funny.

The reason I decided to put it in here because it is serious about gun control. The poster talks about "returning to days of yore". However, in the real days of yore, the rights of self defense wasn't even an issue.

The poster was an attempt at humor of the so-called debate of gun control which, we both know, is stupid. Which the poster points out.

However, if you do feel that this post is in the wrong place, then by all means, move it.

S.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:07:29 pm by S. Jester »

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2009, 07:21:47 am »

I'm in no tearing hurry to move it, just think it needs a little more explanation and development to become a useful topic, perhaps.

I've read a considerable amount of history with an eye to self defense and "gun control" issues. You might be surprised that the "controllers" have been around from the beginning. Originally, firearms were rare and very expensive, of course, so only the rich and powerful had them. I'm sure it was very clear to them just how exclusive possession of such a device increased their power! From the start, there have been many "laws" to limit the possession of firearms to "approved" classes and persons - just as there had been with swords and other tools of war/defense. Why else do you think the peasants had to storm the castle with pitchforks? <grin>

Firearms became much more commonly distributed in the new world, but whole classes of people were still restricted or outright forbidden their possession. The need for them increased as people moved west, naturally, and many of the barriers came down or were overlooked - but not all. But I feel confident that centuries of considering such possession as something that should be restricted to certain people/classes remained a part of how people thought about firearms. And I suspect that this conditioning over hundreds of years contributes more than a little to the prevalent mind set today.

One way to explore that is to ask those who support even some restrictions on gun ownership to use all of their arguments for "gun control" for restriction of access to any other dangerous tool. They simply can't make the connection sound logical, even to themselves. Why it sounds logical to them regarding guns is the question I like to ask next...

Now, what all this has to do with pies is still the mystery! LOL

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2009, 11:41:26 am »

Originally, firearms were rare and very expensive, of course, so only the rich and powerful had them. I'm sure it was very clear to them just how exclusive possession of such a device increased their power! From the start, there have been many "laws" to limit the possession of firearms to "approved" classes and persons - just as there had been with swords and other tools of war/defense. Why else do you think the peasants had to storm the castle with pitchforks? <grin>

Firearms became much more commonly distributed in the new world, but whole classes of people were still restricted or outright forbidden their possession. The need for them increased as people moved west, naturally, and many of the barriers came down or were overlooked - but not all. But I feel confident that centuries of considering such possession as something that should be restricted to certain people/classes remained a part of how people thought about firearms. And I suspect that this conditioning over hundreds of years contributes more than a little to the prevalent mind set today.

One way to explore that is to ask those who support even some restrictions on gun ownership to use all of their arguments for "gun control" for restriction of access to any other dangerous tool. They simply can't make the connection sound logical, even to themselves. Why it sounds logical to them regarding guns is the question I like to ask next...

Now, what all this has to do with pies is still the mystery! LOL

You mean such conditioning has become a cultural thing? In the days of "Yores" it was common for the "elites" to keep certain things only to themselves. When people first came over here, they saw the writing on the wall, so to speak, so they did everything they could to get guns. They save their asses off to aquire a gun. Saw how good it is to have one, so guns became more a part of our society.

I spoke a little about the cultural thing here:

http://www.thementalmilitia.com/forums/index.php?topic=24408.0

Gotta go. Catch you later.

S.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 09:23:11 pm by S. Jester »

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 01:55:39 pm »

You mean such conditioning has become a cultural thing? In the days of "Yores" it was common for the "elites" to keep certain things only to themselves. When people first came over here, they saw the writing on the wall, so to speak, so the did everything they could to get gun. They save their asses off to aquire a gun. Saw how good it is to have one, so guns became more a part of our society.

Depends on which culture you are talking about. In colonial days, the British governors could and did enforce the blanket prohibition of arms to the Scottish immigrants. Indians, blacks and others were usually prohibited from owning guns as well.

Further west, the prohibitions continued against indians and, mostly, blacks far into the more modern history of this country.  Many of these prohibited people did own and use them, of course, but it was always at great risk. Those who set themselves up as the elite will always practice such prohibitions against an unempowered minority. It is up to the minority to empower themselves and tell the elite to get lost - or drop dead, whichever comes first - even if they have to help the process along.

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 09:38:45 pm »

Hmmm, interesting, I've heard that the NY's Sullivan law was the country's first gun control laws. I do see what you're getting at with certain classes of people not being allowed to have guns. I also heard that the Sullivan law was secretly an attempt to prevent the hated Irish population from owning arms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_Act

All this is just a denial of rights that have been going on since time immemorial. All this some have more rights than others, BS.

S.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 11:21:22 pm »

Hmmm, interesting, I've heard that the NY's Sullivan law was the country's first gun control laws.

The post-War of Northern Aggression Jim Crow laws included gun control measures and pre-date the Sullivan Act.

I also heard that the Sullivan law was secretly an attempt to prevent the hated Irish population from owning arms.

Ironic, if true, since Sullivan is an Irish name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sullivan_(surname)
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

dubber308

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 11:52:26 pm »

If I remember right, the Sullivan act was targeted at the Italian, Jewish and other "swarthy immigrants" that were moving into NYC and fighting for turf in the established neighborhoods. 
Force shites upon the back of reason. -Ben Franklin

FREEEEZE GOPHERRR!!!!!!!  -Carl the groundskeeper

I'll bring you precious contraband
And ancient tales of distant lands
Of conquerers and concubines, and
Conjurers from darker times
Betrayal and conspiracy
Sacrilege and heresy
     excerpt from Steve Earl's "I Feel Alright"
Pages: [1]   Go Up