The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting Quote.  (Read 2905 times)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Interesting Quote.
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:34:00 am »

Got this from a Sci-Fi story:

As Von Clausewitz wrote four centuries ago, all wars are political by nature. But, as human civilization came to realize by the 21st Century, all politics are cultural at their base.

"All politics are cultural at their base."

Interesting, if this is true, then it may be that we'll have to figure some way to change the culture to a more freedom oriented one.

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
Re: Interesting Quote.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 07:16:47 pm »

Got this from a Sci-Fi story:

As Von Clausewitz wrote four centuries ago, all wars are political by nature. But, as human civilization came to realize by the 21st Century, all politics are cultural at their base.

"All politics are cultural at their base."

Interesting, if this is true, then it may be that we'll have to figure some way to change the culture to a more freedom oriented one.

I'm not sure I agree with the assertion, but your conclusion is nonetheless correct.

But I just have to include the obligatory "All your base are belong to us" as the first rejoinder that comes to mind. Which, now I think on it, seems to be the goal of most, if not all, politics.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

Junker

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 02:46:28 pm »

Yo, 'Chucker!

Sorry, I missed yer earlier posting. I've updated your site address.
It shows http://freedomsight.net so I've added http://jbaer.cotse.net so either
can be used.

Welcome through here again.

ubik380

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 05:02:42 pm »

Think of it this way: The means for conflict resolution are culturally/socially determined. For example, duals weren't outlawed until AFTER the general population believed that they were abhorrent.

It might be said that slavery in the USA would have been eliminated by social prohibition and later by laws (or the elimination of...) but the Civil War got in the way and prevented the completion of changes in cultural beliefs (which were occurring before the war), resulting in racial conflicts that might not have happened except for the war.

The mystic said: You can't push the river; it flows by itself.
True, but an engineer can build a canal and redirect the flow. Not an task to be taken lightly.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
                                                              -  Albert Einstein

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 05:39:57 pm »

Yo, 'Chucker!

Sorry, I missed yer earlier posting. I've updated your site address.
It shows http://freedomsight.net so I've added http://jbaer.cotse.net so either
can be used.

Welcome through here again.

Well howdy, Junker. Guess I picked an interesting time to poke my head in. My domain redirecting over to COTSE is a benefit of using DynDNS, whom I highly recommend. If I can manage to string together 6 months or so when my budget doesn't whacked with unexpected expenses, I'll get the blog fired up again, and then the COTSE site will switch to redirecting over to it -- or maybe not 'cause my resume is hosted over there, not that there's been any legitimate interest in that.

Looking forward to chatting a bit with the folks here. Especially with what I see coming down the pike.

FreedomSight

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 05:45:42 pm »

For example, duals weren't outlawed until AFTER the general population believed that they were abhorrent.
[...]
The mystic said: You can't push the river; it flows by itself.

Cool! I own an outlaw turntable! (And it's for sale.)  :thrbiggrin:

I like that quote. Though I'll note there is one kind of river that's definitely being pushed. It flows from D.C. and we all know what's in it. (It has to be pushed, because it's so thick.)

FreedomSight

Junker

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 07:20:59 pm »

DynDNS? hmmm...

DynDNS.com: Free DNS Hosting, E-mail Delivery, and VPS Hosting
Dynamic Network Services provides world-class DNS(Domain Name System) hosting and management services, domain registration, email services, ...
https://www.dyndns.com/
Dynamic DNS
  Update Clients  Tools  Support  Domain Services  Custom DNS  What is DNS  Account

DynDNS.com - Services -- Dynamic DNS Free (DDNS) Service
Dynamic DNS Free (DDNS) is a free domain name service allowing aliasing of dynamic (DHCP) IP addresses to static hostnames. DDNS is perfect for a home ...
www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

DynDNS.com - Support -- Update Clients: Downloads for update ...
If you're like most DynDNS.com customers, you have a dynamic IP address which changes periodically (monthly, weekly or even daily). ...
www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

DynDNS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dynamic Network Services, Inc. is a network services company best-known for its free DynDNS dynamic DNS service, which allows users to have a subdomain that ...
www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DynDNS

Dynamic DNS Providers List
http://www.dyndns.com/, N/A, $50/year, Right now, they will only accept registrations for ... Domains: *.dyndns.org, *.homeip.net, *.ath.cx, *.shacknet. ru, ...
www.technopagan.org/dynamic/

rockchucker

• FreedomSight
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2009, 10:27:35 pm »

DynDNS? hmmm...

Yeah, I use them for a hostname for my home machine, so it's easy to SSH in from work. I also use them as registrar and DNS for freedomsight.net. That way, when I switch from one hosting company to another, I don't have to go throught the doman transfer rigamarole. If other folks are interested in this, we can start a thread over in the tech gulch.

[...] it may be that we'll have to figure some way to change the culture to a more freedom oriented one.
I have my doubts about this. Call me a cynical observer of humans, I guess, but I think that culture trends towards dependency. There will always be those who hunger for political power who will rise to take advantage.

FreedomSight
Pages: [1]   Go Up