The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Welcome to the Desert, Claire  (Read 4937 times)

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
Welcome to the Desert, Claire
« on: November 28, 2009, 02:24:46 am »

Claire,

It absolutely sucks that the PTB forced you out of your home, but I am glad that you have found a place of like-minded folks to start anew. You wouldn't be our heroine if you couldn't land anywhere and make a place for yourself.

Living here in southern Arizona, about 4000 ft lower than where you are, I read your article with even greater interest than I usually give to BHM. I both chuckled and commiserated, remembering how I felt when I moved here in 1991.

Water, of course, is the big thing. I moved here in April before it got hot but often found myself getting faint before I realized I was dehydrated. Even in winter, the lack of humidity can get to you. Sometimes more so, as you think it's not hot so you don't need to drink as much. Wrong. The cold and dry will suck moisture out too.

Speaking of moisture, don't neglect your skin and not just for the typical feminine reasons. The sun and dryness take a toll on the largest organ we have, which has an effect on the other organs. If your skin is too dry, you are not drinking enough. Stock up on moisturizers. I've found that Bag Balm is not just for udders anymore. It's great stuff.

Here are some signs that you have adapted to desert life:

You automatically shake out your shoes or boots in the morning before putting them on--spiders and scorpions.

You have a glass of water always at hand and you actually drink from it. Frequently.

Whenever you are outside and not actually moving about, you will find whatever shade there is.

Your eyes are constantly scanning the ground for rattlesnakes and you learn what times of the day/nite/year when you can relax your vigil.

You find tarantulas fascinating and not just big, ugly, hairy spiders and that lizards are your friends--they both eat bugs.

Dust is no more a big of a deal than cat or dog hair. You breathe it, you eat it--oh well.

You can smell water.

You accept monsoon storms with an equal mixture of fear, awe and joy.

You wrote very well about the metaphysical aspect of desert living. Courtesy of the US Navy, I spent a year in Antarctica which is the largest "desert" of them all. Living here is not really all that different. Nature will do what nature will do and all we can do is try to adapt. There is a stark beauty here and, yes, that sense of pure survival that folks in woody, watered areas just can't comprehend.

That holds true even for those of use who are dependent on piped in utilities. In the back of our heads, many of us always have the thought of "what if.." The current economic woes have created a huge interest here in Tucson in rainwater harvesting and gardening and solar power.  It's gratifying to see people ripping up their grass lawns. Some folks, at least, are seeing the light.

Thanks again for your article and I most certainly look forward to more.

From one desert rat to (soon to be) another, welcome.
Coyote

Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

coloradohermit

Re: Welcome to the Desert, Claire
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 06:29:54 am »

Article here. Good one Claire.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.

What luck for rulers that men do not think. - Adolf Hitler

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 03:53:51 pm »

I hope everyone writes to her at the address below the articles at BWH. She needs to hear from us, and may not be seeing these posts.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

gaurdduck

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 02:46:35 am »

I wonder how much it costs to ship twinkies???

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 06:09:39 am »

Don't know, but I'm pretty sure Claire would prefer apricots to Twinkies.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 09:17:03 pm »

Are Twinkies available with an apricot glaze?
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight
Pages: [1]   Go Up