The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.  (Read 42891 times)

Winston

• Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
Re: If one ever needed a reason to homeschool - you might find it here.
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2010, 10:29:59 am »

On the bright side; A would be teen mother got an abortion....

Believe it or not, the abortion is not the key issue here. The issue is the apparent  blatant superseding of parental rights.

We can "what if" this to death with all of the possibilities that could have been discussed among the Family, however that option was removed by the State.

That is the issue.

I get it, hence the "on the bright side" comment...

While I don't disagree with abortion, even abortion without a parents approval, I don't think the public school system should have any say whatsoever in such matters.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2010, 12:23:05 pm »

I get it, hence the "on the bright side" comment...

Okay. I didn't know it was TIC and I was thinking "What is Winston Thinking?"  mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

motomom

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 04:52:38 pm »

I really don't care if someone is gay.  I really don't care if they are straight.  I just don't think it is any of my business, and I don't think they should tell me.  I NEVER heard my parents discussing the particulars of their bedroom.

My MOM taught me about sex, and I still think it should be the parent's job to teach this stuff.  NOT the school.  It just has no place in the school. 

In school, we need to be teaching hot and heavy in math and science.  Not this crap.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It merely wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Winston

• Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 07:14:04 pm »

It just has no place in the school. 

Yeah it does...it's called the lunch table ^_^

gaurdduck

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 02:00:39 am »

Knock it off W, you're gonna scare her. Schools ain't the way they used to be.

motomom

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 09:00:44 pm »

Knock it off W, you're gonna scare her. Schools ain't the way they used to be.

Nah, I was a middle school teacher for 5 years.  I've already seen that.  I just don't think we need to be teaching it.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It merely wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Junker

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2010, 12:51:25 am »

You know, I just realized that my line in
the sand will be an attempt to restrict or
even outlaw homeschooling. I will go
underground and live in a shanty with
my children before I'll surrender them
to state control.

The base proposition comes to who owns whom...
even the 'little bit' of slavery starts the growth
pattern. Then soon enough, there's a big group
of us in those underground-shanty villages. And
of course, "they were just trying to help."

The trends don't look like they'll be stopping any
time soon, so shanty towns ought to be on the way.
(Perhaps even Detroit will grow again.)

DreamingWest

• Put the glasses on
    • Dreaming West
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 04:08:08 pm »

The base proposition comes to who owns whom...
even the 'little bit' of slavery starts the growth
pattern. Then soon enough, there's a big group
of us in those underground-shanty villages. And
of course, "they were just trying to help."

The trends don't look like they'll be stopping any
time soon, so shanty towns ought to be on the way.
(Perhaps even Detroit will grow again.)

I agree completely. Statist tyrants always couch their bullying in sentiments like "Think of the children!" and "It's for your own good!" I believe most of them are pretty stupid but not flat-out evil, so they have to come up with good excuses for their wicked behavior so they can sleep at night. (There's no shortage of evil statists, but your average slave isn't evil--just incapable of critical thinking and terminally scared of life without Mommy State. It really is a mental defect, IMHO.)

On the bright side, the shanty villages will turn out the next generation's brightest minds and best thinkers. And having grown up with nothing they'll be tough, resourceful, and self-sufficient. The slavers don't stand a chance against them. :mellow:

Junker

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 09:17:02 pm »

On the bright side, the shanty villages will turn out
the next generation's brightest minds and best thinkers.
And having grown up with nothing they'll be tough,
resourceful, and self-sufficient. The slavers don't stand
a chance against them. :mellow:

:laugh:

motomom

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 12:57:42 am »

On the bright side, the shanty villages will turn out the next generation's brightest minds and best thinkers. And having grown up with nothing they'll be tough, resourceful, and self-sufficient. The slavers don't stand a chance against them. :mellow:

YES!!!

We ended up living in a mobile home park for a bit of time when my kids went to school, the only MH park in a town full of very ritzy high-dollar houses and a school with kids driving Cameros, Corvettes, and Mercedes.

Out of our little MH park, there were, while my kids were in that high school, 10 members of the top 10 percent of the class, the valedictorian (my kid) and the salutatorian.  Boy, were there some really pissed off rich kids that year.

Bennie

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 05:18:17 am »

This is the story that the teachers unions wish had never happened. This is the story that proves all their hysterical demands for more money are nothing but a sham. This is the story that makes the unions and education bureaucrats sick to their stomachs. This is the personal story of my daughter Dakota Root.

A few days ago, Dakota Root achieved her lifelong dream. She was accepted at both Harvard and Stanford. She was also accepted at Columbia, Penn, Brown, Duke, Chicago, Cal-Berkeley, USC and several more of the elite schools in America, an unheard of record for a home-school kid. She actually had the confidence to turn down an offer from the Yale fencing coach before she had gotten her other acceptances. The kid turned down Yale!

http://whiskeyandgunpowder.com/homeschool-to-harvard/

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 08:16:24 am »

Thank you. mutti
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2010, 11:48:11 pm »

This is the story that the teachers unions wish had never happened. This is the story that proves all their hysterical demands for more money are nothing but a sham. This is the story that makes the unions and education bureaucrats sick to their stomachs. This is the personal story of my daughter Dakota Root.

That's wonderful!
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

mutti

• Mutti

Proposed Sex Ed Has Parents Outraged in Montana

Most of a new health studies curriculum currently on the table inside the Helena, Montana, school district is a virtual nonissue going into the 2010 school year.

But the sex education component dominating the news in the past week or so is still as contentious as ever, inspiring parents from all across the Big Sky capital to descend on the school board in a collective voice of strong opposition.

This is a "one way" news source, so I tried to determine where the guidelines come from.

Here: SIECUS (Sexual Information and Education Council of the United States) -
didn't know such an animal existed. 

For those who have children in PSing, you may want to read the 112 page PDF of the guidelines that are currently what "should" be taught in school. Some of it is banal "everyone deserves to be loved" and some is a bit out of my acceptability level (i.e. Kindergarten discussion of Masturbation, STDs, and Religion).

As a HSing parent, these "Standards" tend to irritate me more than alarm me, but "forewarned is forearmed" applies for others.

Jarel

• restackthedeck.wordpress.com
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2010, 08:02:22 pm »

+1, Rarick. Well said. IMHO.
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in the cage?" Pink Floyd

"and if you don't like the way I'm livin', ya just leave this long-haired country boy alone"--Charlie Daniels

"perfectio propter imperfectionem." -- 'perfection requires imperfection.'

Carpe Libertatem
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up