The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Is it me..." FSP Strategy  (Read 3930 times)

Augustwest

"Is it me..." FSP Strategy
« on: November 06, 2003, 09:12:26 am »

As a Friend of FSP, my thoughts should (and do) have less weight than those who have actually committed to moving, but I don't think the idea of creating an even greater climate of freedom in NH in order to attract more members is a particularly bad one, as long as it doesn't take focus and resources away from the organized recruitment that should be going on.

What freaked me out more about the November newsletter was the suggestion of an FSP "Social and Cultural Club." Granted, it's a trial balloon, and not official policy. Granted, too, that it's not suggested that it be a compulsory facet of membership.

But, "We're all too solitary by nature?" Whose frickin' business is that?

Ahem...

There are some really cool freedom lovin' folks out there, including some who post here, with whom I'd like to have a cuppa joe some day. But I don't see me attending any "Free State Mixers" anytime soon.

I am feeling kinda crotchety this morning though. Maybe tomorrow a pledge pin will seem more appealing...  :D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 09:12:54 am by Augustwest »
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2003, 09:46:07 am »

(note to moderator, should this thread be moved to the FSP section?)

From what I know of libertarian organizations, they need to stay focused...  it's way to easy to get distracted off on a tangent, and then never get anything done.  The personality type a majority of libertarian-minded folks tends to be sorely lacking in logistical skill... and therefore a single focus is usually best.

As for 'porcupine mixers'...  I think that's just the extroverts doing their thing.  Those of us introverts will look at such a request and wonder if they'll be asking to do polar bear club skinny dipping next... but to the extroverts, those social functions seem like the fun thing to do.

"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".

Augustwest

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2003, 09:58:39 am »

(note to moderator, should this thread be moved to the FSP section?)

Me 'n myself debated that one for a while (woulda fun to watch), and one of us finally decided that since Claire's blog got our thinking rolling on this, it would start here. Could just as easily go under FSP.

they need to stay focused...

Agreed, absitively. And the more I think about it, the more I think FSP should stay outta changing NH for now. Still wouldn't get too riled about what was in the newsletter though.

See, now Polar Bear Skinny Dipping I could prolly get into.  :D

Got no problem with Porcupines playing together. Just seemed like a strange and "unfocused" thing to have appearing on the front page of the newsletter.

Kay surah, or whatever...

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the Smith Model 19 that's calling to me from the local boomshop out of my head?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2003, 10:07:03 am by Augustwest »
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Sunni

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2003, 10:38:48 am »

AW asked:
Anyone have any suggestions as to how to get the Smith Model 19 that's calling to me from the local boomshop out of my head?

Oh, that's easy ... buy it and put it in your hands!  :D  

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 11:16:26 am »

Indeed!  :)  
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Jack Harrison

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 01:44:29 pm »

Aarrgghh....I've been talking about this on the FSP forum. Rather than repeat myself, how about I just copy and paste it instead?.........

Now that the movement has gotten off the ground, we got our first 5K members and decided on a state, I'm not sure exactly what we need continued leadership for anyway, besides membership drives. From my view, the FSP should run itself on goals alone from this point on. We know the marching orders - move to the state and orient yourselves and your neighbors (and politicians) in a more freedom oriented fashion. What more, other than increasing membership, is needed in order to move those goals forward? UNLESS its for a takeover, unless its to enhance the role and influence of the NHLP, what else could that be? Personal power trips? Hhhmmmmmmm...

I'm smart enough to know where to find New Hampshire. I'm smart enough to know how to move there, get a job, and continue promoting freedom oriented lifestyles in my daily activities.

Why do I need a "leadership"? I'm my own leader, and follower. I know where to go, now get out of my way. I'll pass on the mixers.

Who will survive and what will be left of them?

debra

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2003, 02:45:04 pm »

I dunno, Jack. Someone has to accept donations, sign for bank accounts, decide what ads to place, "officially" speak for the organization to reporters or at speaking engagements, update the website, keep track of how many members have joined, contact members when (if?) the 20K is reached to let them know...

So I can see a reason for leadership. But that all involves the basic idea of recruiting. To have FSP leadership suddenly focusing on political strategy and ignoring recruitment is unnerving to say the least. It certainly makes your questions about power trips, takeovers, and enhancing the NHLP appear spot on.  

Hasher

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2003, 08:00:39 pm »

Augustwest

There is only one way to get that Model 19 out of your head. Simply go back there give them the appropriate ammount of FRN's and see that it has a good home.

Now just so you feel better I recently rean into a Model 66 with the very hard to find 3" barrel. It now has a good home. Far far away from someone who woule ever think of selling such a gun.

Hasher

Augustwest

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 07:28:39 am »

Better mood today, so I'd be happy to attend the Porcupine Cotillion  ;)

I'm liking the "new direction" of the FSP less and less the more I think about it. Hopefully they'll rethink this and stay on target.

Dunno about the Model 19. Prolly oughta just go get it, but I'm not made of money, and I'm more interested in adding more .41s than .357s right now. May try to drown out the call of the 19 with loud humming for a while longer. ::grin::
Pages: [1]   Go Up