The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug In small/medium town  (Read 18359 times)

GoNative

Re: Bug In small/medium town
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 12:42:07 am »

The military, realistically, wont be much good. I know on a local level, our Armory does not have a plan of action in the event that something like this does happen. The general consesus through the ranks is Screw command, I'm going home to care for my family.

My community has a pinch over five hundred people. Its a hub for two highways merging together and continuing north toward the mountains. Our exposure to the two big city/towns to the west consists of sportsmen traveling through on their way to hunting camp or the lake. I predict mass exodus of refugees from these two cities. I know our community has enough integrity to develop joint responsibilities and structure. That is the only real hope to maintain our way of life.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 03:26:31 am »

Highways as in concrete with a divider?  If you are near any of those...............   A highway as in state maintained and 2 lanes of "twistytop"...........Maybe.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

GoNative

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 09:20:41 pm »

No, not a divided interstates style highway, just a two lane, dotted yellow line 55mph type of highways. And they join into one highway headed farther north/east. The real decision is what to do about it. Stubbornly build a roadblock and commit to stopping anyone and anything, or attempt to funnel the refugees around the town somehow...I really dont know. I just know that those refugees will be a headache.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2010, 09:59:48 pm »

Well, the determing factor imho will be...fuel...not a Mad Max type of situation, but when there is no fuel the "roving hordes of rapine zombie ninja bikers" will have a tough choice, walk, learn to ride a horse, or come up with some sort of Feudal arrangement in an area they dominate, like the "8ers" in the Postman.

Gas stays "good' for two years as JWR points out in Patriots.

As for a small/medium town, I'd say it would very much depend on what the town is like and what sort of people populate it from a fighting sense, a CA town will be very different from say "Somewhere, Texas".
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 05:13:10 am »

Any refugees will be trouble, from those trying to squat since they found a "nice" place, to those passing thru and trying to pick up anything handy that isn't nailled down or in hand.  I saw it in the desert, if we didn't make it clear that they had to keep their distance refugees would be picking up whatever they needed from our gear. 

Make careful evaluation of how you are going to channel them, and nice will get you nowhere with desperate people.  I have tried it and it doesn't work, telling them like it is without being mean will work.   You will sometime have to be firm, no matter how much you may sympathize, you have to be firm or get stampeded all over.

My first choice would be which/ what route can you start diverting them on?  Is there a combo barrier/diversion you can use? like a bridge down with signs pointing to "the camp"?  The further out you start, the better- preferrably out of site of your nice little place.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Wolfe

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 11:09:30 am »

The military, realistically, wont be much good. I know on a local level, our Armory does not have a plan of action in the event that something like this does happen. The general consesus through the ranks is Screw command, I'm going home to care for my family.

My community has a pinch over five hundred people. Its a hub for two highways merging together and continuing north toward the mountains. Our exposure to the two big city/towns to the west consists of sportsmen traveling through on their way to hunting camp or the lake. I predict mass exodus of refugees from these two cities. I know our community has enough integrity to develop joint responsibilities and structure. That is the only real hope to maintain our way of life.

My communtiy has just 2500 with the nearest town at 45k. My "retreat" had been with the in-laws out in the country but they are still off of the same kind of highway..yellow dotted two laner. "out in the boony's" isn't that great when you have traffic running by it.

Wolfe

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 11:30:58 am »

As for a small/medium town, I'd say it would very much depend on what the town is like and what sort of people populate it from a fighting sense, a CA town will be very different from say "Somewhere, Texas".

A question I have wresteled with for a little while now. The town we live in now is small: 1gas station, school k-12, post office, one tire repair/change and several "self-employed" companys that do most of thier business out of town.

I am not from here it's going on 2yrs. I do think the town would band together but I know there are certain families that are less then scrupulous and would consider them no better then the "gang/looter".

gaurdduck

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »

I've been considering this myself. Moving to a small town rather than the middle of nowhere would be easier on my family and budget.
Due to a recent hospital visit and some other assorted family emergencies, I'm going to have a big delay in buying land anyways. I may as well rent a place in a small town in my chosen county in the meantime.

GoNative

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 06:00:16 am »

You really cannot beat a smaller state like Idaho. All of the small towns are commuting distance from a larger town/city with industry in it for employment. Seriously, anyone wanting to cowboy up and get out of wherever you call hell, look up ATK. There are plants in Idaho and Washington. Clearwater Paper Products, a mill in Lewiston, ID. I mean a BIG mill. Those two industries have almost entirely supported a population center of 35,000 people. Thats including your other support jobs. THink your usual retail, food, city services, etc. There is enough work out here for someone who actually wants it. There is also military/LEO/corrections....Baby steps.
I was reading that what to do today to prepare. Baby steps. Before you can buy recreational property to BUG out on, you need ANY property to live on. Any property requires steady, gainful employment. After gainful employment is achieved, any of your preparedness steps are within reach. Rant done.

gaurdduck

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 09:03:51 am »

But stay out of the panhandle if you are dark-skinned or Jewish.
Alot of Aryan Nation guys live up there...

GoNative

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 12:49:52 pm »

Okay, while CNN can be entertaining, its not an accurate portrayal of Northern Idaho. Yes, every fourth of july, White Supremicists of various groups/callings meet at Lake Couer d'Alene and brood hate for a couple days. Big deal. Most of those people have civilian employers, and still have to answer to the law, so aside from shooting guns alot, and pounding their own chests behind closed doors, they are pretty harmless these days. Alot of minority families are starting to settle up here, after Moscow got crowded. (For those who dont know, Moscow is a sort of Liberal heart of Idaho, where UofI is located. When they graduate, quite a few decided they dont want to leave idaho. So they settle.)

gaurdduck

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2010, 07:40:58 pm »

Actually got that from Faux News but whatever.

motomom

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2010, 08:51:38 pm »

I would never survive in Idaho, being born and raised in TX, I would freeze to death.

Speaking of those white dudes, we have a little town near us where I spent a few years living.  Hico, TX.  And if you are from around here, it is pronounced with long vowels.  Very long.

When I lived there, there was a little cafe, the Koffee Kup Kafe, that made the best homemade pies you ever put in your mouth.  Well, the rumor was (and it was just a rumor, I knew the lady who named it and she was just trying to create a catchy name) that, of course, it really meant KKK. 

So, the actual Klan decided to have a rally in Hico.  They reserved the local park for the event.  Made the news, Hico became branded as a white supremacist town, blah, blah.  The town council decided, at the urging of the townsfolk to cancel the permit.   Big hub-bub about it in the papers all around.

Klan was unsuccessful in getting the permit restored, especially since NO locals were members.  They moved the event out to a local ranch, where the rancher was in need of dough and they were going to pay him for the use of his land.

Weekend of the rally arrived.  They had a party, but nobody came.  It was a total non-event.  Nobody showed up for the rally except the organizers, who went home fast to avoid embarrassment.

Well, you can't say that nobody came.  The local hotel parking lot was FILLED with all makes and models of COP CARS.  Texas Highway Patrol being the most common.

And, of course, since they were sitting around bored stiff, but the hotel was already booked, they just dispersed into the area and issued traffic tickets out the wazzoo to every local.  I got one, too, I think everybody in town did.

End of the story?  The Koffee Kup Kafe changed their name.  But every time the town of Hico is mentioned, someone brings up the klan story.  Bleah.
Never try to teach a pig to sing.  It merely wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

Radio Flyer

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »

But stay out of the panhandle if you are dark-skinned or Jewish.
Alot of Aryan Nation guys live up there...

As GoNative native said, that is not true, in fact look at the political structure there and you will find that the panhandle has almost been taken over by liberal Californians. Outside of a few front groups (likely supported by the FBI) that outlook on Idaho is over 15 years old and has in fact never been that way.

Radio Flyer

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2010, 10:18:30 pm »

I would never survive in Idaho, being born and raised in TX, I would freeze to death.

Colorado is far colder than Idaho, and every year more people die of the heat in TX than die of cold in Co...

As far as the "widespread hate groups" they are in decline, most of the big groups have splintered or disappeared, and from all the government sources I have looked at lately the membership in groups like that has dropped to less than 1/10 what is was when Clinton was president.

Why do you think that the SPLC is going after Oathkeepers, and the Tea Party? - They don't have any boogie-men to chase after anymore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up