The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Man cleared of killing cop in second trial.  (Read 8616 times)

Who...me?

Man cleared of killing cop in second trial.
« on: January 15, 2010, 01:46:03 pm »

http://www.thestate.com/154/story/1001209.html

Thomas Grover Rye, who killed a man in a 2004 incident that followed repeated shootings of Rye's pet cats on his Lower Richland property, has been found not guilty of murder.

Odam was a Beaufort County deputy when he visited Rye's neighborhood and - carrying an AR-15 semi-automatic assault rifle - went onto Rye's property in Eastover on Aug. 14, 2004. The property was fenced and posted with No Trespassing signs, according to testimony.

In 2004, in the two months prior to Odam's shooting, someone had gone onto Rye's property and shot to death 13 cats and wounded several others, testimony at the trial indicated. A structure on the property also had been broken into and some $600 worth of tools taken.

Rye, who had owned the property 30 years, kept cats he rescued there. He visited the property almost every day and lived elsewhere.

On the fatal day, Rye had found more dead cats on his property and called 911. Then, hearing gunshots, he grabbed his rifle and ran to where the shots were fired, according to testimony. His intent was to hold the shooter until the deputy arrived.

On encountering Odam at the rear of his property, Rye said, "Put down your gun."

Evidence at the trial indicated Odam refused, saying "I'm not doing anything wrong - you go ahead and put down your gun."

Rye immediately fired and killed Odam. Rye testified he shot Odam because Odam was pointing his gun at him and he feared for his life.

Odam was struck four times from a distance of about 10 feet, testimony indicated. The jury was shown pictures of the body.

Nancy Odam, Robert Odam's mother, said the verdict was a painful end to a years-long process that repeatedly has traumatized the family.

The family, she said, was "completely shocked" by the outcome.

She said she is concerned the case could set a precedent that could allow killers who claim they were defending their property to go free.

"It's the worst travesty of justice that has ever been displayed in a courtroom," she said. "My son died a senseless, cold-blooded death, and nobody's paying for it."

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=53420

A man convicted of murder for killing an off-duty law officer who was shooting cats on the man's property should get a new trial.

So apparently the off duty cop was trespassing on private property killing someone private property and  got his dumb ass killed for it.¬† I hope it does indeed set a precedent for those defending themselves and their property. Maybe if he had been raised to respect others property and that his action will have a consequence he would still be alive.

"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
Re: Man cleared of killing cop in second trial.
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 03:26:51 pm »

There should have never have been a trial.

"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 03:33:35 pm »

There should have never have been a trial.

Perhaps a coroner's inquest, but I agree. A trespasser, shooting the livestock (however economically inconsequential) and pointing a gun at the owner... definitely a good way to get shot.

The question would be if the trespasser actually pointed the gun at him or not. And maybe why four rounds were fired. If one or more were fired after the guy was dead... that's not good - though it could easily happen, of course.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

kel

• resident montanarchist
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:55:04 pm »

If someone holding a gun threatens to shoot me, odds are good that I will shoot them several times given the chance. 
I wasn't picking my nose, I was pointing at my brain.

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 04:53:21 pm »

Yeah...................and he'll turn up dead or framed found guilty of something entirely digusting in a few months or even a year down the road too.................after all, he killed a pig..............
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 01:02:08 am »

If someone holding a gun threatens to shoot me, odds are good that I will shoot them several times given the chance. 

Exactly.  You shoot until the threat stops.  Just because the first round is fatal doesn't mean that it instantly incapacitates.

Good for Mr. Rye, though.  I'm glad things turned out for him.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 04:07:51 am »

About the only way you could make a case for "execution" would be if the shooter then shot the tresspasser, who was unmoving, on the ground.  If he looks like he is still trying/able to point the gun, you keep shooting to make him stop/unable.   That often results in death.

Off duty, trespassing, destroying property, armed, pointed gun at landowner............Got what he earned, free all expenses paid ticket to the afterlife.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.¬  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.¬  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Who...me?

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 02:25:00 pm »

Exactly.  You shoot until the threat stops.  Just because the first round is fatal doesn't mean that it instantly incapacitates.

Good for Mr. Rye, though.  I'm glad things turned out for him.

And also you don't fire one round and stop to see what effect it had.  You keep firing until the desired effect is achieved.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Tiecuando

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 04:18:07 pm »

What kind of a sick #$%^ (can I say that?) trespasses and kills cats?

Tiecuando

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 04:18:59 pm »

Yeah...................and he'll turn up dead or framed found guilty of something entirely digusting in a few months or even a year down the road too.................after all, he killed a pig..............

It might turn out that way.

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 08:21:18 am »

Let's be honest and agree that his only crime was to kill a 'sacred person' in the form of a badge holder.
The fact that the cop was a crazed gun toting tresspasser matters to the Powers That Be not at all.
They can't allow the peasants to get uppity, it would set a bad precedent.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

wayneroberts

• Provisional
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 11:09:18 pm »

I HAVE LOST FAITH IN MANKIND PART 1

I HAVE LOST FAITH IN MANKIND! and cant wait until JESUS comes back and separates the Righeous from the Wicked. I am from Laurens SouthCarolina and watched this case on TV Live in sessions court.
THESE ARE THE FACTS OF THIS CASE:
(1) Deputy Odam was a Veteran of our Military and a Deputy Sheriff who swore a oath to protect and serve the citizens of his state of SouthCarolina and his Country not Stray Cats or Pets or Animals!
(2) Deputy Odam killed the cats on his neighbors property and had he been caught doing this he would have been a convicted felon, lost his job in law enforcement forever and probaly would have done some jail time for cruelty to animals as this is illegal in South Carolina. Never would have beeen allowed to vote or own a gun again!
(3) Deputy odam was 22 yrs old a little imature at that age as he was a young man as we all probaly was at that age. Grover Rye was 57 years old at the time he killed Deputy odam. Grover rye had 35 years of Knowledge, wisdom, understanding and self growth on Deputy Odam.
(4) Grover Rye Knew who was killing his cats from the start but didnt have the proof to give to the police and admitted it on court Tv.
(5) If grover rye who is a Regular Deer Hunter would have placed deer cameras out around those cats or a $50 dollar camera from walmart he would have had proof to give to police and Deer hunters know what Deer Cameras are they work very well!
(6) Grover Rye showed no remorse in killing Deputy Odam over those cats and you heard this on Court Tv on the 911 call!
(7) In the Eyes of our FATHER GOD ALMIGHTY no animal or pet and even all the animals on this planet is worth the life of one(1) man or woman as we are the sons and Daughters of the most High. GOD loves his animals though! but loves mankind more more as HE died for us! GOD wasnt nailed to a cross for animals!
(8) If groover Rye had knocked on the door of Deputy odam and asked him to stop or went to his supervisor at the police department this would have not have happened also.

wayneroberts

• Provisional
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2010, 11:10:41 pm »

I HAVE LOST FAITH IN MANKIND PART 2

(9) Groover rye in my opinion wanted vengeance for his cats and ambushed Deputy odam the first chance he caught him on his property and probaly shot that dog for killing his cat too.
(10) Deputy Odam made 2 mistakes:(A) He killed those cats.(B) He trespassed and killed the cats of a deranged, evil, cold blooded killer who felt his cats where worth more than the life of his Neighbor , a human being, son of GOD, and law enforcement officer who could have done a lot of good for the citzens of South Carolina. Groover Rye should have reached out to Deputy Odam confronted him set him back on the right path been a Neigbor. What would JESUS our CHRIST have done! Grover Rye didnt because he was a coward unlike his father who also was a Deputy Sheriff of Richmond County.
(11) You know that we are living in the end days and that the comming of Christ is near even at the door when the american people spend billions of dollars on there pets almost as much money as they do on there children and yet we have 100s of thousands of starving children and homeless people and children in our nation its clear that americans value there pets more than they do human life as this was not a criminal that was killed but a outstanding member of our society a hero Deputy odam.
(12) Quoting the bible:
(A) Love thy Neighbor as thy self Deputy odam was Grover Ryes neighbor
(B) Blessed are the peace makers for they shall see GOD ( I think Deputy Odam was a peace maker as he was a peace officer of the law) and killing cats is not a death sentence!
(C) Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain MERCY
I pray for the Odam family that GOD give them peace there son shouldnt have been shot and killed 4 times for killing there nighbors cats. When Groover Rye passes away may GOD judge him even as Groover Rye Judged Deputy Odam and GOD can see into Groover Ryes heart as a human Jury cant. This all could have been avoided and the odam family has a right to justice even if they didnt get it in a court of law. They should sue Groover Rye for wrongful death and if it were my son i would take matters in to my own hand.(13) As a veteran of both gulf wars I want to say Groover Rye is a yellow belly Coward, has no honor, and deserved to be jailed for life for the murder of Deputy Odam and the people who loved cats more than human life on this blog or website here you make me sick FIND GOD OR JOIN THE WICKED WHEN CHRIST RETURNS.

Kyle D

• Government is essentially the negation of liberty
    • Liberty Over Safety
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 11:43:57 pm »

I HAVE LOST FAITH IN MANKIND PART 2

(9) Groover rye in my opinion wanted vengeance for his cats and ambushed Deputy odam the first chance he caught him on his property and probaly shot that dog for killing his cat too.
(10) Deputy Odam made 2 mistakes:(A) He killed those cats.(B) He trespassed and killed the cats of a deranged, evil, cold blooded killer who felt his cats where worth more than the life of his Neighbor , a human being, son of GOD, and law enforcement officer who could have done a lot of good for the citzens of South Carolina. Groover Rye should have reached out to Deputy Odam confronted him set him back on the right path been a Neigbor. What would JESUS our CHRIST have done! Grover Rye didnt because he was a coward unlike his father who also was a Deputy Sheriff of Richmond County.
(11) You know that we are living in the end days and that the comming of Christ is near even at the door when the american people spend billions of dollars on there pets almost as much money as they do on there children and yet we have 100s of thousands of starving children and homeless people and children in our nation its clear that americans value there pets more than they do human life as this was not a criminal that was killed but a outstanding member of our society a hero Deputy odam.
(12) Quoting the bible:
(A) Love thy Neighbor as thy self Deputy odam was Grover Ryes neighbor
(B) Blessed are the peace makers for they shall see GOD ( I think Deputy Odam was a peace maker as he was a peace officer of the law) and killing cats is not a death sentence!
(C) Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain MERCY
I pray for the Odam family that GOD give them peace there son shouldnt have been shot and killed 4 times for killing there nighbors cats. When Groover Rye passes away may GOD judge him even as Groover Rye Judged Deputy Odam and GOD can see into Groover Ryes heart as a human Jury cant. This all could have been avoided and the odam family has a right to justice even if they didnt get it in a court of law. They should sue Groover Rye for wrongful death and if it were my son i would take matters in to my own hand.(13) As a veteran of both gulf wars I want to say Groover Rye is a yellow belly Coward, has no honor, and deserved to be jailed for life for the murder of Deputy Odam and the people who loved cats more than human life on this blog or website here you make me sick FIND GOD OR JOIN THE WICKED WHEN CHRIST RETURNS.

Let's get this right:
Trespassing (check)
Shooting of animals not under his possesion (check)
confronted by the property owner and told to cease and desist (check)
didn't follow the obviously right commands of the property owner when told to drop his firearm (check)
turned and demanded the property owner drop his weapon, no doubt brandishing his own (check)
 :laugh:

How does the property owner respond otherwise in such a situation? He no doubt could be fearful for his own life in such situation. The officer is obviously off mentally (who thinks of this stuff? sneak onto someone else property to kill cats???). The owner was right to defend himself and his property. That a "son of GOD and law enforcement officer" was the sick individual who was shot was nothing more than the officer's choice. The property owner didn't go out and force this sick asshat to do this, he merely responded to it, in kind.

in response to your quoting the love thy neighbor part of the Bible: does trespassing and killing cats of thy neighbor imply love?

wayneroberts

• Provisional
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 01:18:12 am »

To: Kyle D   
                     Trespassing on a mans property and killling of animals on that property is not a death sentence or the right to shoot a man down.  This is not the wild west Kyle D.  What about the 10s of thousands of deer hunters in the southern and northern states that go deer hunting and most of them dont own there own property. So they trespass and hunt on someone elses property. Do I go out and kill a deer hunter because he is  tresspassing on my property after all he has an assault rifle and he is killing defenselless animals and I can argue to the court and the law that I feared for my life because the hunter has an assault rifle. and I can say he pointed it at me and I shot him.     
(2) There are a whole lot of things that dont add up  and that is clearly a lie in this case like for example groover rye being  a radical animal lover who clearly believes animals lives are worth more than a man or womansi:
  (A) like deputy odam being shot in the back 3 times
(B)  Groover rye states the deputy shot at him at point blank range 3 times and missed  with an ar 15 thats impossible deputy odam sure hit those moving casts
 thats 20 times less smaller target size than groover rye. As a veteran of both gulf wars I can telll you that some one with down syndrome couldnt miss a target that close with 3 shots and with a ar15¬† lol if you believe that¬† you believe in Barak hussein obama
(C) and then grover states he charged the deputy and in X man fashion  fires one round into the boy  then spins around and pumps 3 rounds into him
(D)  The deputy was invited on that property didnt know about police reports being filed 4 times before that. His 2 friends did know though and knew they shouldnt be there.
The bottom line is no damn animal is worth more than a man or womans life. this was a good boy that made a mistake to tresspassing and killing a deranged evil¬† murdering coward mans property.¬† ¬†This boy would have done a lot of good for south carolina,¬† if he had been caught killing those cats by¬† law enforcement he would have been a convicted felon lost his job forever in law enforcement, couldnt vote or own a gun.¬† ¬† ¬†The judges now and the liberals will be out to do away with self defense laws in south carolina¬† just you wait!!¬† This is what they have been waiting for.¬† This would have been differant if Grover Rye life had really been threatened and someone was breaking in to his¬† house.¬† ¬†and not breaking into some damn old hillbilly shack with some stray cats on it.¬† If you are going to kill someone you better get it right¬† because GOD is watching and violence is always the last resort when killling a person.¬† ¬†This was not self defense it was a man being angry because someone killed¬† his cats and pissed off because he didnt get what he wanted from law enforcement who are over whelmed with cases such as murder drugs rape and child molestors.¬† Grover rye could have put a deer cameral out there took it to law enforcement and case closed no one is dead.¬† ¬†Hes a deer hunter and knows what a deer camera is I can tell you that.  This case is not over as far as descent people in south carolina are concerned Grover Rye is the new OJ Simpson.   Grover rye should be sued for wrong ful death of Deputy Odam by his family and retried in federal court for his death.   Then most importantly Grover Rye has  to wak the long walk when he stand before GOD  who sees into our sould and knows whats in our heart. Cant deceive HIM!   Murderers is a tough one helll will be full of them!   
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up