The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Nation of Cowards  (Read 2322 times)

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
A Nation of Cowards
« on: February 08, 2010, 02:29:02 pm »

This old chestnut will be very familiar to many veteran MM members, but I thought I would dust it off for the folks who might not be know it.

A Nation of Cowards by Jeffrey R. Snyder

OUR SOCIETY has reached a pinnacle of self-expression and respect for individuality rare or unmatched in history. Our entire popular culture -- from fashion magazines to the cinema -- positively screams the matchless worth of the individual, and glories in eccentricity, nonconformity, independent judgment, and self-determination. This enthusiasm is reflected in the prevalent notion that helping someone entails increasing that person's "self-esteem"; that if a person properly values himself, he will naturally be a happy, productive, and, in some inexplicable fashion, responsible member of society.

And yet, while people are encouraged to revel in their individuality and incalculable self-worth, the media and the law enforcement establishment continually advise us that, when confronted with the threat of lethal violence, we should not resist, but simply give the attacker what he wants. If the crime under consideration is rape, there is some notable waffling on this point, and the discussion quickly moves to how the woman can change her behavior to minimize the risk of rape, and the various ridiculous, non-lethal weapons she may acceptably carry, such as whistles, keys, mace or, that weapon which really sends shivers down a rapist's spine, the portable cellular phone.

Now how can this be? How can a person who values himself so highly calmly accept the indignity of a criminal assault? How can one who believes that the essence of his dignity lies in his self-determination passively accept the forcible deprivation of that self-determination? How can he, quietly, with great dignity and poise, simply hand over the goods?

The assumption, of course, is that there is no inconsistency. The advice not to resist a criminal assault and simply hand over the goods is founded on the notion that one's life is of incalculable value, and that no amount of property is worth it. Put aside, for a moment, the outrageousness of the suggestion that a criminal who proffers lethal violence should be treated as if he has instituted a new social contract: "I will not hurt or kill you if you give me what I want." For years, feminists have labored to educate people that rape is not about sex, but about domination, degradation, and control. Evidently, someone needs to inform the law enforcement establishment and the media that kidnapping, robbery, carjacking, and assault are not about property.

Crime is not only a complete disavowal of the social contract, but also a commandeering of the victim's person and liberty. If the individual's dignity lies in the fact that he is a moral agent engaging in actions of his own will, in free exchange with others, then crime always violates the victim's dignity. It is, in fact, an act of enslavement. Your wallet, your purse, or your car may not be worth your life, but your dignity is; and if it is not worth fighting for, it can hardly be said to exist.

http://www.texashandgunner.com/gunstuff/cowards.htm

Please do read it all.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: A Nation of Cowards
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:38:45 pm »

Incredible essay, as is Mr. Snyder's book of the same title.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 06:09:39 am »

Yes indeed, great stuff. I print off a little of it and share it with my self defense classes.  I send this link to lots of people, along with Spooner.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 06:57:07 am »

Another of my favorite Jeff Snyder essays is Walter Mitty's Second Amendment
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

socalserf

• Blue collar knucklehead
  • Riflemen are made not born.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:22:48 am »

Another gem, all right.
"Freedom's the answer. What's the question?"
~Author unknown to me

OlJarhead

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:00:38 am »

Nothing wrong with Mace -- my wife carries it along with her 5" S&W 686 .357magnum -- after all, the mace slows them down and makes them easier to shoot.

gaurdduck

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 03:56:54 am »

Shouldn't you shoot first then spray the mace into the hole?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:49:35 am »

Shouldn't you shoot first then spray the mace into the hole?

If your aim was good, what would be the point? Torture of the dead is a waste of mace. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

gaurdduck

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 01:28:12 pm »

True.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 05:45:53 pm »

Thanks. Hadn't seen that.
"Yet the people retained the right to keep and bear arms. Just in case their government..."
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 07:16:08 pm »

"Yet the people retained the right to keep and bear arms. Just in case their government..."

Yeah.................he sees the constant "picking away at the edges of the herd" too.............
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 07:33:52 pm »

... and I think his point(s) is each of these things has already occurred...
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 07:37:50 pm »

Or constantly reccuring.............
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up