The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 2010 WINTER Olympics  (Read 4200 times)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
2010 WINTER Olympics
« on: February 15, 2010, 02:54:26 pm »

Anyone following the winter olympics?
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Bear

• Curious Bear
Re: 2010 WINTER Olympics
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 03:05:35 pm »

An American man placed 9th in the mens Biathalon (skiing and rifle shooting). That's the best
the US has ever done. Next best result was placing 18th in the last winter olympics.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

gaurdduck

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 03:21:55 am »

Nope. Not really interested. The summer games have all the good ones except hockey, which I'll watch if I can.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 04:43:30 am »

I will poke my head in after the little ones are asleep.  If nothing else to at least watch these amazing athletes in action.  I love the helmet cam footage they will sometimes show.  I have no idea how these people do what they do.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 02:36:29 pm »

Yep, they sure are amazing to watch KNOBSTER.

Though I'm a tomboy at heart, there's just enough "girl" in me that I have this uncontrollable need to watch pair figure skating!

Go USA!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:59:13 pm »

OMG!!!

I had no idea the Russian women's CURLING team was excruciatingly beautiful!

MTA:  I remember when they were commies, female Soviet atheletes all had beards and shit.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 09:00:23 pm by Klapton »
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 07:04:23 pm »

KLAPTON - Hahahahaha! I actually find that sport intriguing. When I first saw it being played I thought, "Wow. That looks like something DIS would do to pass time in the winter."

The USA women's ice hockey team destroyed China and Russia.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 11:30:30 pm by Moonbeam »

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 04:34:48 pm »

Ok, the nastiness has been deleted, and the troll deleted himself, so you folks can continue to discuss the Olympics now.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »

Thanks, ML...

I need to google 'curling' because I do not understand the rules. I've watched curling for about the third winter olympic in a row and I have no idea what I'm watching! I'm such a ding-dong  :laugh:

Oh, does anyone else watch the men's figure skating? I was watching last night and kept waiting for Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy MacElroy to perform!!

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 05:30:42 pm »

Apollo Ohno is doing his usual glide to victory thru the pile ups his detractors seem to bring on themselves...........    Pretty tactful guy in responding to reporters too regarding his detractors.   Good amusement.

The Flying Tomato is looking impressive too, haven't check his runs on the web yet.  I skip Figure Skating, they have too much Trauma/Drama going on and questions about the judging, maybe in a couple more olympics I will look again.

Luge is another matter- a death this year- as far as I am concerned it is a risky sport and I am surprised that this hasn't already happened.  The Luger went out doing what he chose to be doing, so it isn't a tragedy in that respect, but he was young, that is a tragedy.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Who...me?

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 08:30:08 pm »

Ya I generally avoid anything that has a judge involved. Folks just competing against each other without any "interpretation" .
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 09:31:42 pm »

Okay, Moonbeam did a little googling and now understands curling a tad better (and who the 'Flying Tomato' is!) :)

RARICK - Chazz Michael Michaels (Will Ferrell) and Jimmy MacElroy (Jon Heder) are characters from the movie Blades of Glory...

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 03:36:18 am »

Blades Of Glory....... :puke:  I may as well watch Bill and Ted, or go do something useful.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 03:35:23 pm »

Oh I love Blades of Glory! Oh well :) And hey, I like Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, too  :laugh:

gaurdduck

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 06:37:58 pm »

I watch mostly animated stuff, so IDK what you guys are talking about.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up