The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: This yard has a lot of moles  (Read 12917 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: This yard has a lot of moles
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 03:53:49 pm »

Barn cats work too ML, and owls work even better than cats, especially for barn rodents, according to some ranchers in Eastern MT I know.

Keeping the owls around might be a challenge. LOL  We had a big white one in our barn in Southern California for years. The number of mouse bones in the pile below his perch was impressive. But we never had an overabundance of barn cats  either... because he was just as fond of eating tiny kittens. :(

Propane must be really expensive wherever you are. 

Yes, it is very expensive here. I thought you were talking about a house size tank, not a 10 gallon tank... Didn't read carefully enough.

My biggest objection would be the burning itself. Unless you had NOTHING growing in that area, I would think the burning would do as much or more damage to the roots of plants and trees as the varmints. The "collapsed" tunnels would compact the soil and make further problems for the roots - not to mention making a lawn look pretty horrid. So, it might be a solution for a BIG infestation of the critters on land that was not planted with desired trees, etc. But I'd go for the cats myself... more consistent control. Owls would just be an occasional icing on the cake. :)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:26:28 pm by MamaLiberty »
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Jarel

• restackthedeck.wordpress.com
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »

I have family in eastern MT that had barn cats galore, and mice galore, then a neighbor gave them a barn owl couple. Three years later, mouses gone. One more, year, cats all gone. Twenty years later, no mice, no cats, just the occasional divebombing owl, but they don't attack per se, they just get a little pissy when you first walk in. Me, I like cats, so I don't know what I'd do about that. And it could play hell with the landscaping I suppose, but if you have horses or cattle you breed for good money, like the Santa Gertrudis breeder I got the trick from, the tunnel compaction is just the ticket, especially if it's done the first time in early/mid spring (for the rains).
BTW, the burning is done in about three or four seconds, over an entire acre. Something to behold. It makes the weirdest sucking sound I've ever heard.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:10:16 pm by Jarel »
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in the cage?" Pink Floyd

"and if you don't like the way I'm livin', ya just leave this long-haired country boy alone"--Charlie Daniels

"perfectio propter imperfectionem." -- 'perfection requires imperfection.'

Carpe Libertatem

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 04:30:34 pm »

Hmmm, I'm wondering how that propane thing would work with prairie dog colonies. Might be a lot better than poisoning the little monsters. The boys have a ball shooting them, but that doesn't do much to reduce the population, and it doesn't get rid of the damned holes. I'll have to tell them about it.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

anvil

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2010, 09:39:04 pm »

moles not in my yard   Rodenator kicks them good, 223 just below a mound thats moving  and calcium carbide & water in a tuna can in one end a railroad flare in the other end or  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgztUzqaL3E   

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 03:08:36 pm »

... Before eating earthworms, moles pull them between their squeezed paws to force the collected earth and dirt out of the worm's gut...

Allow me to be the first one to officially say, "Ewwwwww!"

DH got one of the sound repellant thing-a-ma-jigs. Seems to be working...
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up