The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: This yard has a lot of moles  (Read 13101 times)

Grim_watcher

This yard has a lot of moles
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:06:13 pm »

I believe there a large number of moles.  Moles typically are UTR.  I am a little more above the R as I desire but I seek others such as myself.  We need to hook up with those around us.  For example I am in NE OK.  Looking for fellow moles in the area.  Moles are where it is at.

gaurdduck

Re: This yard has a lot of moles
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 12:46:55 am »

There are A LOT of moles in my backyard too. I'm worried that they might eat my potatoes and onions.
Stupid state law says they are a protected species. So how do I get rid of them?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 08:25:05 am »

I have a sneaking feeling that you are not talking about the same thing...

Grim, I suspect you won't get many others to say anything here...

PKL, think of target practice for a pellet gun. SSS
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:33:12 am »

Most moles rely on stealth to perform their underground tasks. Hence, as ML said, they're unlikely to want to out themselves.

Oh, for the time when the moles can come out of the closet!
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:22:51 pm »

I had gophers, really bad, in my back yard.  In fact, they totally ruined it.

I learned, though, that gophers just love Juicy Fruit brand gum.  They can't resist it.  Trouble is, it gums up (pun intended) their digestive tract, so that they can't eat anything and have it pass through.  They literally starve to death with a full belly.

I can testify to this fact, as I have used Juicy Fruit gum to eliminate gophers in my yard.

Such a thing may work for moles as well.

How to do it (if you feel inclined to accept my advice):

1) Find the mole hill (reasonably easy to do);

2) Using a steel rod (about 1/4 to 3/8 inch diameter and about 4 feet long or so), push into the mole hill, gently, at different angles; the purpose of this is to find the direction of the surface tunnel to the main tunnel, where the mole actually move around and lives and moves around; when you feel the rod pressing through without much resistance, you've found the surface tunnel; when the rod suddenly moves into the ground as you press it through, then suddenly stops, you have found the main tunnel;

3) Dig down to the main tunnel, using the angle of the rod as a guide;

4) When you reach the main tunnel, place some sticks of Juicy Fruit gum in the main tunnel, on either side of the hole;  the mole (or gopher, as I suspect you may have) will come toward the light source, intending to close it up again, and come upon the gum, eat it, and then close up the hole again.

5) You may have to do this several times, at different holes, but it should be done with in about two weeks.

Hope this helps!
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

gaurdduck

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:21:55 am »

Gophers are big, moles are tiny. I can't find the entry holes of the mole tunnels for some odd reason. I find the tunnels every time my foot falls through their roof.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 06:41:32 am »

Probably not going to work for moles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(animal)
A mole's diet primarily consists of earthworms and other small invertebrates found in the soil. The mole may also occasionally catch small mice at the entrance to its burrow. Because their saliva contains a toxin that can paralyze earthworms, moles are able to store their still living prey for later consumption. They construct special underground "larders" for just this purpose; researchers have discovered such larders with over a thousand earthworms in them. Before eating earthworms, moles pull them between their squeezed paws to force the collected earth and dirt out of the worm's gut. [7]

They are controlled with traps such as mole-catchers, smoke bombs, and poisons such as calcium carbide and strychnine, which is now banned in Britain. The most common method now is Phostoxin or Talunex tablets. They contain aluminium phosphide and are inserted in the mole tunnels, where they turn into phosphine gas. More recently high grade nitrogen gas has proven an effective remedy, with the added advantage of having no polluting effect to the environment.

Other common defensive measures include cat litter and blood meal, to repel the mole, or flooding or smoking its burrow. There are also devices sold to trap the mole in its burrow, when one sees the "mole hill" moving and therefore knows where the animal is, and then stabbing it. Humane traps which capture the mole alive so that it may be transported elsewhere are also options.

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 11:11:21 pm »

Thanks for the correction, ML.  :mellow:

PKL, just use the metal probe, like I described.

Alternatively, the next time you find one of their tunnels with your foot, dig out the ends and apply the Juicy Fruit (again, assuming you have ground hogs/gophers).

Here's an article I found on moles and how to get rid of them.  Apparently, the best way is to trap them.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Pests-730/ground-moles.htm
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

jeremy mcilroy

• Finding Sanctuary, libertarian science fiction
    • Finding Sanctuary Book
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 12:10:15 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(animal)
A mole's diet primarily consists of earthworms and other small invertebrates found in the soil. The mole may also occasionally catch small mice at the entrance to its burrow. Because their saliva contains a toxin that can paralyze earthworms, moles are able to store their still living prey for later consumption. They construct special underground "larders" for just this purpose; researchers have discovered such larders with over a thousand earthworms in them. Before eating earthworms, moles pull them between their squeezed paws to force the collected earth and dirt out of the worm's gut. [7]

Wow! Moles are paranoid hoarders. Oh well. I guess it's because they don't have the US fedgov to care for them.
Emulate the mole.
Jeremy McIlroy, author of Finding Sanctuary, a libertarian science fiction novel.

Jarel

• restackthedeck.wordpress.com
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 05:21:39 pm »

I had gophers, really bad, in my back yard.  In fact, they totally ruined it.

Know what else works? a full, camper-size propane tank, 5 feet of hose. Hose to propane, hose into burrow, (whistle, whistle). 5 minutes later, when propane tank is basically empty, one lit match into the hole and pow! all gophers in the tunnel system are toast. Exercise due caution with your bodily safety, as with anything.

Makes a wicked cool whuuuuuuuuuump, a bit of a dust cloud, and a few pillars of flame, but once or twice a year (respect of fire season awareness is extremely important) should take care of your infestation for a square acre, as well as flattening the tunnels themselves. And it's big fun to boot, relieves certain itches,...bwahaha. I don't know if it works for moles, but if they network their tunnels like gophers and 'chucks, it's a pretty good bet.

Now, about those moles of a different sort,... most of them have a kind of transparency to their skins. Patient observation and listening should net results, they tend to out themselves by being curious little ratlike critters. After all, they're rodents, some of them scavengers, and not as bright as one might think.
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in the cage?" Pink Floyd

"and if you don't like the way I'm livin', ya just leave this long-haired country boy alone"--Charlie Daniels

"perfectio propter imperfectionem." -- 'perfection requires imperfection.'

Carpe Libertatem

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 07:06:57 pm »

"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Jarel

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 08:39:26 pm »

Well, not quite like that, but if you used a tankfull designed to feed your house for a month or three, fer sher. It's actually a fairly common practice for the "eradicators" in western MT; I found out from a rancher when I lived in the Gallatin canyon when I was younger.

I always loved that scene. Thanks for the big belly laugh, Klapton.
"Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in the cage?" Pink Floyd

"and if you don't like the way I'm livin', ya just leave this long-haired country boy alone"--Charlie Daniels

Carpe Libertatem

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 12:02:46 am »

There are A LOT of moles in my backyard too. I'm worried that they might eat my potatoes and onions.
Stupid state law says they are a protected species. So how do I get rid of them?

Buy them one-way bus tickets to California?

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 07:12:25 am »

I'd think some barn cats would be a lot more effective than 2 or 3 hundred dollars worth of propane... and a lot less dangerous.  :rolleyes:

Jarel

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 02:57:13 pm »

I'd think some barn cats would be a lot more effective than 2 or 3 hundred dollars worth of propane... and a lot less dangerous.  :rolleyes:
Barn cats work too ML, and owls work even better than cats, especially for barn rodents, according to some ranchers in Eastern MT I know.
Propane must be really expensive wherever you are. It only costs about 25 bucks to fill one of those little (10 gallon?) travel camper or barbeque-size bottles here, and cats don't flatten the tunnels and make it more difficult for new tenants to move on in. We are NOT talking about an explosion per se like in Caddyshack; it's more like a very fast hot underground burn that cooks whatever is in the tunnel system, and I know people who do it every year. The size of the tunnel system is a gauge for how much gas it takes; one person turns it on, while another sniffs at the entrance to the furthermost hole. When you smell it at the far point you have enough in the system. Works like a charm.

Carpe Libertatem
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up