The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vacated body  (Read 17511 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Vacated body
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2003, 11:15:48 pm »

If it were me and I were caught and some sort of restitution was demanded, and I were capable, I pay for the cost of the dog and any inconvenience caused.  (Even though I would think the owner I stole the dog from was dastardly bastard [bastardly dastard?]).
If I was the dastardly bastard, I'd pick up a couple of mutts from the pound, slap them around, and then let Claire buy them from me at twice what I paid plus costs.  Then pick up a couple more and repeat.
ROFLMAO! Okay, you guys. Mantispid, enemyofthestate, I award you the joint championship of the bastardly dastards argument. I'll take my puppy-stealing elsewhere. And may we all have peace and happy dogs, cats, parrots, snakes, lizards, etc.

This thread has mostly been too sorrowful, painful and depressing for words. I'm going exit now that there's laughter to ride out on. See you on other threads where, I hope, our differences won't be matters of life and death.

And pc93, if you're still out there, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Herself

Vacated body
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2003, 12:53:14 pm »

I hope I do not come off too harsh when I wonder aloud if treating this situation as just another nine days wonder to be boggled at only so long as it and the emotions it stirs in onlookers are fresh, and shelved once the sadness becomes more bother than novelty is altogether inappropriate.

The individuals in these fora have already shown themselves to have greater depth than a Malibu Barbie and those leading lights among them especially so.  A "snack platter" approach to issues of pith and moment smacks rather of a failing Unitarians are especially prone to (though, at least in my experience, quite aware of): "cultural tourism," treating the serious and sacred of others in a manner all too facile and glib.

Consider it: we will move on, touched by little more than bumper stickers and website banners for as long as they remain where we stuck them; those persons whose struggle and direct involvement with these issues filled minutes of airtime, inches of column space and a few megabytes of bitstream are still faced with them, their circumstrances little changed by the great sound and fury that, for an eyeblink, caught them in its searchlight's glare.

--Herself

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Vacated body
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2003, 01:12:57 pm »

Herself,

No, you don't sound overly harsh. You make an important point (for which I'd like to see you open a new discussion thread).

"Cultural tourism" and treating tragedies as nine-day-wonders ARE a problem -- for us and everybody else in this connected, over-info-saturated age. I've often thought about my own responsiblity to *pay attention* and *do something* beyond the span of the news coverage, and I really don't have any good answers for what I should (or can) do, or what anyone should do.

I'm very, very glad there are people like pc93 who have dropped everything to focus on Terri's horrible plight.

But the question also remains: When you're the kind of person who cares about what's happening in the world, and especially cares about ending cruelty and injustice, how long can you care about how many issues, with how much intensity before you just crack? Before, instead of caring and being effective, you just have to shut down and not care anymore about anything outside your own little world -- because it's all too painful? That's especially true when you don't feel you can DO much about the particular tragedy that's before you.

In my own case, I've staked out three areas I give a lot of energy to -- privacy, gun-rights, and animal rescue. I can handle about two of the three on any given day, and can handle all three over time. If I try to take on more -- to care vitally about more issues, more human tragedies, more parts of the world that need an injection of freedom or humanity -- I just become overwhelmed and useless.

I'm desperately glad that pc93 has dedicated himself to Terri Schindler, that Henry Lamb fights for property rights with such dedication, that Wendy McElroy takes on gender feminists with such intelligence, that Jason Sorens dreamed up the Free State Project and that Debra gave so much to it and that Mary Lou Seymour and Amanda Maxwell and others are working hard to keep it going. I'm glad FIJA works so hard and long to restore the jury system ... and on and on and on.

I'm glad they do it because I can't. I am going to leave this thread and I realize I probably did sound cavalier about it. I'll still report on Terri when I can, and be glad that others are doing more. I'm not sure how we distinguish between being guilty of cultural tourism and simply knowing how much we, personally, can handle. But you bring up questions we do need to consider.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 01:17:55 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
Vacated body
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2003, 01:19:10 pm »

<Shrug> We each do what we feel we can. That decision has to be up to every individual, or the whole freedom philosophy is meaningless. That very diversity gives us incredible strength, too, because every individual ends up pouring a lot of passion in that statists and conformists and "Men Who Would be Kings" oppressing as a 9-5 job just can't match.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 01:19:51 pm by Hunter »
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up