The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone wanting to gulch and share twinkies?  (Read 7291 times)

Grim_watcher

Anyone wanting to gulch and share twinkies?
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:40 pm »

There is a growing potential for some gulching in my area.  I live in northern OK.  Message me if interested.

Hotel23

• Provisional
Re: Anyone wanting to gulch and share twinkies?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 02:26:49 pm »

Too many Tornadoes. 
Chuck Norris ordered 2 pizzas, to go.  So they left.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 04:23:32 pm »

Too many Tornadoes.

Among other things... but name any location guaranteed free of natural disasters. I can't think of any. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:30:44 pm »

Too many Tornadoes.

It's not THAT bad, and here's a picture to completely invalidate my argument:

But seriously, yeah, we get some tornadoes.  But we only get blizzards every couple of years...unless you're out toward the panhandle, then it's pretty much every year.  But we only get about 50 measurable earthquakes every year and most of those can't even be felt...  And we've only had the one hurricane....
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 05:42:21 pm »

Too many Tornadoes.

What's really astonishing is that there is any life form still present in that area. You can easily put on more clothes and hot up the fire in an blizzard, but a tornado is pretty much overwhelming no matter what you do. If you have a storm shelter... fine, but you are still going to have to rebuild your house.  .. or move west, it seems.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:47:12 pm »

Too many Tornadoes.

What's really astonishing is that there is any life form still present in that area. You can easily put on more clothes and hot up the fire in an blizzard, but a tornado is pretty much overwhelming no matter what you do. If you have a storm shelter... fine, but you are still going to have to rebuild your house.  .. or move west, it seems.

I have lived in Oklahoma for 31 years now (my whole life), and have never seen a tornado.  I've seen rotation in the clouds, I've seen funnel clouds, but never a tornado.

But if you live around here for very long, you learn how and where to take shelter, just in case, and you learn how to read weather radar.  And sometimes you cuss the weather men for saying "Our storm spotters are reporting a tornado on the ground at <location X>!" and you have to call BS because if that were the case, there would be storm chasers in your front yard watching a tornado destroy your house, and you would KNOW there was a tornado there.  So you look on the radar and in a couple of seconds realize that the tornado they are claiming is destroying your house is actually 5 miles north and you go back to sleep...  True story.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:49:35 am »

And sometimes you cuss the weather men for saying "Our storm spotters are reporting a tornado on the ground at <location X>!"

Oh yeah... the weather forecast is truly a joke where I am... the "reports" are generated about 30 miles away in another town... not real accurate in some ways. But the killer is that the county has started a "robocaller" recorded message deal to warn people when they predict severe weather or a spotter sees a tornado close by. One night (I go to bed early), the phone woke me and it was the recording to warn of a tornado... I was already in the basement... where my bedroom is. Then, just a week or so back, they called to warn of a blizzard coming. Got the message on the answering machine, since I had gone to town to stock up on coffee creamer. I just HATE being snowbound in a blizzard and not having creamer for my coffee. LOL

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 11:56:27 am »

I just HATE being snowbound in a blizzard and not having creamer for my coffee. LOL

There are two things I'm dreading when TSHTF: 

1) no insulin for my wife and daughter
2) no coffee
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 05:45:43 pm »

I just HATE being snowbound in a blizzard and not having creamer for my coffee. LOL

There are two things I'm dreading when TSHTF: 

1) no insulin for my wife and daughter
2) no coffee

Knobster,

Did you try making that evaporitive cooler pot for chilling the insulin?

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 07:24:20 am »

Knobster,

Bear
Sure did.  Had mixed results.  Temp inside the pot dropped 10 degrees from the outside air but I left the pot in direct sunlight so evaporation occurred too quickly.  What I need to do is put the pot in a shady and breezy place.  Will give it another shot next summer.

What I might do this winter is wrap a thermometer up in a rag and other insulation and see if I can keep it from freezing.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 12:51:46 pm »

Knobster,

Bear
Sure did.  Had mixed results.  Temp inside the pot dropped 10 degrees from the outside air but I left the pot in direct sunlight so evaporation occurred too quickly.  What I need to do is put the pot in a shady and breezy place.  Will give it another shot next summer.

What I might do this winter is wrap a thermometer up in a rag and other insulation and see if I can keep it from freezing.

For the winter test, you might find or make a sunny southern exposure that is back stopped with bricks
(just stack them). Put some water and anti-freeze mix in some used, plastic soft drink bottles and lay
them next to the thermometer. You want to glue the tops on so no one tries to drink it. For "extra credit"
you might spray paint the bottles black.

Just a thought.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear
Pages: [1]   Go Up