The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie you might NOT want to see  (Read 2836 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Movie you might NOT want to see
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:01:09 am »

Why put your money in the pockets of these hypocrites? Go shooting instead. :)

To Stallone and Schwarzenegger, your guns are 'the expendables'
David Codrea - National Gun Rights Examiner  http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-national/to-stallone-and-schwarzenegger-your-guns-are-the-expendables
"Action heroes" (!) Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger and a host of other Hollywood adventure movie stars will once more pretend they have the physical courage and paramilitary skills to put their lives at risk while executing deeds of derring-do, all to save the less competent and bold, and of course, using guns to accomplish their ends. The Expendables opens Friday at theaters throughout the U.S.

Too bad their character's real life portrayers don't trust you with guns.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
Re: Movie you might NOT want to see
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 09:34:19 am »

I may feel bad about putting part of my $10 ticket fee in the pockets of gun grabbers, for a few milliseconds, but I expect to have a roaring good time at this movie when I see it, probably tomorrow evening.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

modpod77

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 06:02:19 am »

For this Summer, they're Eclipse and Salt.
Salt because I don't like Angelina Jolie at all!
And Eclipse because I'm so tired of Edward and Bella...they sucks a boring couple!

bar stools clearance sale going on now...

canadian

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 09:12:01 am »

I don't watch movies any more. I have better things to spend my money on than Hollywood propaganda and psychological conditioning.
Istum enim est bellum quibus necessarium, et pia arma ubi nulla nisi armis spes est.

cowboy up

• Yippie-Kai-Yay!
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 10:01:51 pm »

While I do love movies where lots of stuff gets blown up, as a rule, as I have gotten older, I just can't get into a movie when I know the actors politics. 

However, while greater than 90% of the ticket goes to the distributor, your local movie theatre basically depends on you spending money at their concession stand.  It's a tough choice sometimes:  Support Hollywood or support your local theatre.

Honestly, usually I just wait until it shows up on my cable about 3 years later, never seem to have 2 hours without an interruption or the timing to go to the movies.   ^_^

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2010, 06:05:20 am »

A movie you might not WANT to see--but you should...

Through a Netflix download, I watched "The Stoning of Saroya M". You can also get it on disk.

OMG. This is a horrifying movie but one everyone should see.

It's set in Iran after the ayatollah's revolution.  Saroya is the wife of a local bigwig who wants to marry a young 14 year old girl so he contrives to accuse Saroya of adultery. He bribes a guy to corroborate the charge and Saroya is stoned. I have a strong stomach, but I could not watch that scene.

This is based on a true story which was smuggled out of the country by a French journalist (Jim Caveizel in the film). Fans of "24", a couple of years ago, will recognize the woman who plays her aunt. She has a lot more to work with in this role.

If anybody thinks that Sharia law is ok because "well, it's just their culture which we should try to understand",they need to see this movie to see just how utterly barbaric that belief system is. There is a world wide cultural war going on. If the Islamic fundamentalists win, or any fundamentalists for that matter, we are well and truly screwed.

A difficult movie to watch, but very well done and worth your time. Just be aware it will appall you and piss you off.

BTW, the credits only say it was filmed "on location in the Middle East". I think they were afraid to name the country for fear of reprisals. Probably Pakistan. How sad.

Coyote

Also read the book or see the movie "the Kite Runner". Both very good.
Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

cowboy up

• Yippie-Kai-Yay!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 10:04:12 pm »

Through a Netflix download, I watched "The Stoning of Saroya M". You can also get it on disk.

It's set in Iran after the ayatollah's revolution.  Saroya is the wife of a local bigwig who wants to marry a young 14 year old girl so he contrives to accuse Saroya of adultery. He bribes a guy to corroborate the charge and Saroya is stoned. I have a strong stomach, but I could not watch that scene.

This is based on a true story which was smuggled out of the country by a French journalist (Jim Caveizel in the film). Fans of "24", a couple of years ago, will recognize the woman who plays her aunt. She has a lot more to work with in this role.

If anybody thinks that Sharia law is ok because "well, it's just their culture which we should try to understand",they need to see this movie to see just how utterly barbaric that belief system is. There is a world wide cultural war going on. If the Islamic fundamentalists win, or any fundamentalists for that matter, we are well and truly screwed.

A difficult movie to watch, but very well done and worth your time. Just be aware it will appall you and piss you off.

BTW, the credits only say it was filmed "on location in the Middle East". I think they were afraid to name the country for fear of reprisals. Probably Pakistan. How sad.

Coyote

Could NOT read "The Kite Runner" or the other book by the same author.  Too much of man's inhumanity to man stuff.  Same reason I could never sit all the way through "Schindler's List", despite about 6 attempts, even when I rented it.

Ya' Buddy, give me more of the Sharia Law, NOT!

This is the kind of thing where PC will get you KILLED, if you are lucky.

gaurdduck

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 10:35:57 pm »

Coyote

Could NOT read "The Kite Runner" or the other book by the same author.  Too much of man's inhumanity to man stuff.  Same reason I could never sit all the way through "Schindler's List", despite about 6 attempts, even when I rented it.

Ya' Buddy, give me more of the Sharia Law, NOT!

This is the kind of thing where PC will get you KILLED, if you are lucky.

Granma rented some movie called The Kite Runner. It sucked so bad, we quit watching less than 5 minutes into it.

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 07:51:27 am »

You won't find anyone around here who thinks it's OK.  But you will find people like me who will speak out against the latest craze among frothing conservative hate-mongers:  "oh noes!  If we don't persecute muslims enough sharia law will become law in America!!!  Islamo-fascists are hiding under my bed!!" etc. etc.

There's this thing called the 1st Amendment in their way.  And if that ever failed, (good luck to them on their efforts to pass a constitutional amendment, btw) America is full of gun-toting rednecks who won't go along with it.  That is, of course, if we don't expend all of our gun-toting rednecks invading other countries trying to "prevent" the spread of "Islamo-Fascism."
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 05:05:05 am »

Klapton,

You get no argument from me on the islamo-fascist scaremongering. However, the Sharia-philes do seem to get most of the press. lol And you are right, invading their countries to combat it ain't gonna do more than bolster their troop strength.

Heck, Christian fascists scare me too. Anybody remember the Inquisition?

Ref "The Kite Runner":  It is one of the best books I have read in years, IMHO. Husseini has a writing style that wraps you up like a warm blanket and he is excellent at pulling a Western reader into a very foreign culture and making it real to them. His second book, "A Thousand Splendid Suns", was not quite as good but still wonderfully written and an eye opener about what women went through during the Soviet war in Afghanistan and the Taliban regime afterward. It is much more depressing than "The Kite Runner" which is a story of redemption, and so, has a happy ending. The movie was not as good as the book, but I didn't think it was all that bad. I'd watch it again.

cowboy up: If we don't learn about man's inhumanity to man through books and movies, how are we to learn about it? Through personal experience? Art is about generating an emotion in the viewer. It can be joy, intrigue, sadness, disgust, wonder, awe, anger...the whole gamut of human experience. Something like "Schindler's List" can move us to make sure it never happens again. Germany produced both Beethoven and Buchenwald. Humans are capable of both great wonders and great evil. Art captures them both and hopefully teaches us something about ourselves and how we can evolve. You can't do that by shutting out the dark side. It is a part of us. While "Saving Private Ryan" may not have stopped many kids from going to war in Iraq, it helps to change us as a culture. It's a slow process, but we need those kinds of books and movies to remind us of where we have been (or are) and where we want to be.

Lecture over, lol
Coyote

Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 07:16:45 am »

Coyote, unfortunately, history is filled with these examples - over and over and over again. Most people don't seem to learn anyway. :(

But the reason NOT to see this movie has nothing to do with the history and everything to do with not financially supporting statists.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 12:48:50 pm »

While I do love movies where lots of stuff gets blown up, as a rule, as I have gotten older, I just can't get into a movie when I know the actors politics. 

I know what you mean... However, I just have to give Clooney a pass in "O' Brother"  :laugh:
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Winston

• Where am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 01:34:17 pm »

I knew about Arnold but I had no idea that Stallone was anti-gun. I was just talking the other day about how he's cool for not taking every gay chick-flick film that gets pushed at him. So much for that...
Pages: [1]   Go Up