The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Patricia Neal (The Fountainhead) dies at 84  (Read 1703 times)

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
Patricia Neal (The Fountainhead) dies at 84
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:57:20 am »

I just heard the news on the radio and it brought to mind the movie which I saw again on TCM a couple of months ago.

I'd seen it a few times and, while I thought they got the message out fairly well and pretty true to the book, it really wasn't a very good movie. I heard that Ayn Rand was involved with it and dictated some of the script--which may account for the speechifying in it. It ended up being dry and preachy. What worked in a novel just didn't work on film, alas. Then later, I heard, she dissed the movie. Sour grapes?

I've always liked Gary Cooper, and not just because he was such a stud. He was excellent in Capra's "Meet John Doe"  which also has an excellent message (I'll always remember Walter Brennan railing against the Helots). He does a good job in the Fountainhead's trial scene (i.e. he gets to put some emotion into it) but for the most part, he and Pat and Raymond Massey are just Randian characatures--emotionless, impersonal. Maybe true to the strict Randian philosophy, but not a good way to get folks into the cinemas and spread the word.

I know that Pat Neal was considered a very good actress, but I never got it. I've seen her in "Hud" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still". Probably some others. I don't know, I just never really clicked with her.

I've heard that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have bought the rights to "Atlas Shrugged". Anybody know any more about this? Heck, I started a screenplay of it 30 years ago. Maybe I should dig it up and send it to them lol.

Coyote
Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

Bennie

Re: Patricia Neal (The Fountainhead) dies at 84
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 04:56:20 am »

I liked Patricia Neal in Hud (the movie characters and setting always remind me of being a kid in the 50's growing up in my family, and leaves me a little bummed) and The Fountainhead (fairly true to the book, Cooper walked the talk, Neal played the part, and the movie makes me feel good). RIP Patricia Neal.

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 12:26:22 pm »

I've heard that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have bought the rights to "Atlas Shrugged". Anybody know any more about this? Heck, I started a screenplay of it 30 years ago. Maybe I should dig it up and send it to them lol.

Apparently that fell through.  But another film is in the works. 

http://www.atlassociety.org/filming-atlas-shrugged-wraps1

July 25, 2010 -- I spoke with Dagny Taggart the other night. “It’s a huge honor to be part of this film,” said Taylor Schilling, who plays the heroine in John Aglialoro’s independent production of Atlas Shrugged. Tuesday evening, July 20, marked the completion of filming. We caught up with Aglialoro and his team in a weary but ebullient mood as shooting wrapped after an intense five-week schedule.

The movie covers Part I of Ayn Rand’s novel, with two more films in the planning stage to tell the rest of the story.  With six months of editing still to go on “Atlas Shrugged, Part I,” Aglialoro expects it to be ready for release by next March—unless it is accepted for Cannes or other major festivals, which would probably mean a June release. ...<snip>...

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 04:30:24 am »

Wow, Basil, thanks for that link.

Looks like things are on track and maybe multi-part is the way to go. Heck, Peter Jackson got lots of bad press while he was making Lord of the Rings but, as a fan since 1972 and having read it close to 30 times (I was a real LOTR geek), he did an amazing job with it. I hope this guy can pull off the same magic act. Seems like his heart is in the right place. Hope it come out well. Hell, I may have to pay full price at the theaters to see Part I--not something I do often. Last was V for Vendetta and worth it.

I find it interesting that Atlas Shrugged has surged on the book sales lists in the last couple of years--enough so that the WSJ has commented on it. Maybe there is hope.

Coyote
Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 09:59:21 am »

You're welcome, Coyote.  I too am looking forward to it.  I think the last movie theater showing I attended was V for Vendetta as well. (My favorite movie, I've watched it several times on DVD.  I hope the Atlas film can surpass it in my affections.)

Basil
Pages: [1]   Go Up