The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy Independence Day, Everyone!  (Read 3936 times)

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
Happy Independence Day, Everyone!
« on: July 04, 2003, 01:54:36 pm »

Well, as bad as things are, there are still a few things we can celebrate.

So, Happy Fourth! ;)

--Jac
I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2003, 12:21:48 am »

There're definitely things to celebrate! We're here (for all the problems in theUS, I don't know of anywhere I'd be better off), and we can work to make things better.

All the fun fireworks are illegal and difficult to find in my area...so I touched off some cylinders full of blanks from a cap-n-ball pistol instead. I don't know if that was legal, and I don't care either. I do know that twenty-three grains of black powder makes a nice big gout of flame at night, though.  :D  
And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Loxosceles_Reclusa

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2003, 01:04:26 am »

:(

No offense intended to anyone here, but the Fourth has made me feel sad for several years now. I don't think we really have many of the freedoms being celebrated anymore. It seems like a hollow mockery to me now. :(

Lox

Tempest

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2003, 06:00:50 am »

I'm with ya on that one, Lox. Yesterday, the fourth, I got to hear my baby being told she has two mamas and when she heard my voice on the phone, she started whining and didn't want to talk to me. Family courts are corrupt and kids go to the highest bidder no matter how obvious their lie. The good part of yesterday was they played the movie "The Patriot", with Mel Gibson.  

ladylearning

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 12:17:07 pm »

No offense intended to anyone here, but the Fourth has made me feel sad for several years now. I don't think we really have many of the freedoms being celebrated anymore. It seems like a hollow mockery to me now.

None taken Lox.  Some do still celebrate July 4th as Independence Day, keeping the original spirit of the celebration in mind, but those that do seem to be the minority.  Many do not even know the events that led to such a celebration. I asked two people yesterday, one about 19 years old and one about 43, what the holiday commemorated and received very different yet similar answers... incorrect ones.  
The 43 year old lady said it had something to do with the Constitution. The 19 year old young man said it was the only holiday where one could do whatever one wanted. His interpretation of celebrating Freedom... a day off work, drink beer all day and play with pyrotechnics.  Lovely.  
Retailers celebrate it for an equally dismaying reason..... an increase in sales. Freedom truly does ring.... at the cash register.  
I chose to overlook the ignorance of the vast majority and instead to ponder the evolution of American Freedom ideals.
So, without even taking part in various activities or fireworks displays, I had a pleasant day enjoying thinking on the possibilities within our grasp at preserving and protecting our American heritage of freedom.    
We can't afford to let the lethargy and apathy of our fellow Americans dilute our own honor or patriotic fervor.
As in most things, the choices we make in how we see things can make all the difference.
IMO, there is cause for celebration.... our history and our ability to shape our future.  
Does that make sense?

LL
Pages: [1]   Go Up