The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "The Hunger Games" Suzanne Collins  (Read 3118 times)

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
"The Hunger Games" Suzanne Collins
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:13:57 am »

I'm a member of the Science Fiction Book Club and this was one they offered. It's a young adult novel which looked good but I didn't pay much attention until the third one (Mockingjay) hit the Wall Street Journal bestseller list. So I bought this first one today at KMart.

Anybody read these yet? I'll start it as soon as I finish "Boomsday" by Christopher Buckley (son of William F.?)which is a very funny and yet sad novel about us Baby Boomers and the financial problems we cause to the younger generation. And everything negative you thought about DC is correct. lol

Anyway, the back blurb describes a dystopian future where teens are forced to compete to the death on live TV--reminds me of that awful movie with Schwartzenegger. But, since the 3rd book is enjoying such large sales, I figure maybe it's worth checking out.

I'll let you know when I finish it. It's not huge--like Harry Potter--so should be soon.

Coyote

Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
Re: "The Hunger Games" Suzanne Collins
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 04:48:48 am »

I finished it and yeah, I really liked it. I'll buy the sequels.

It's not superlative writing and the plot is a bit derivative, but the heroine is resourceful and likable and the plot moves a-pace.

We don't know the exactly when, but America went to hell in a hand basket due to climate change, lack of resources, and a few nukes going off. In the rebuilding, the new capitol became Denver (?) and it tried to assert authority over the rest of the country. There was rebellion which was violently quashed and the new country of Panem (pan America) was formed with The Capitol in total power. The country was divided into districts with specialized industry or agriculture. To me, this was very reminiscent of the Soviet Union as the people are forced to work in  particular fields and most at at near poverty levels to keep them quiet.

Our heroine Katniss, lives in what was the coal mining region of Appalachia. Before her father died in a mining accident, he taught her how to use a bow and hunt, which is how she keeps her mother and little sister alive. As a way of keeping the peons peaceful, and as punishment for the earlier rebellion, the Capitol has the annual Hunger Games. Each year, a boy and a girl ages 12-18, are chosen by lottery from each district to compete in a televised fight to the death, a la "The Running Man" or the ultimate "Survivor". When Katniss's younger sister is chosen, Katniss volunteers to take her place.

Here's where I thought the story really got going and stood out for me. The whole preparation for and hoopla around the games reminded me of the bread and circuses mentality we get around Super Bowl time. And the author really brings this out and does it well. At least I felt guilty about caring too much about football. For me, the actual Games was almost anticlimactic since we know Katniss survives for 2 more books. But there were still enough plot twists and well-paced action and poignant moments to leave me satisfied at the end and wanting to read the other 2. I give it a solid B+ bordering on A-.

Those of you with teenagers who may want to read this--and the popularity of the 3rd book seems to indicate that many do--be warned. This is dark. People die. People kill. Your kids will probably identify with the characters--I saw some of my teenage self in Katniss. But good triumphs and the lessons to be learned are worthwhile. Plus, there's some kind of rebellion against the Capitol still to come. Yee haw!

Coyote
Always keep your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. Robert A. Heinlein

gaurdduck

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 02:19:00 am »

I'll tell my Granma to look out for it. We often get advanced reader copies of books or stuff that didn't sell.

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 12:50:46 pm »

14 yo minion finished reading these - the 10 yo self moderated herself and is saving the last one for a year or two.

Apparently a movie will be made.

Here is something interesting. This set of books is being recommended as a 5th grade reading set in Illinois Public Schools - I'm thinking - really? Why? The plot encourages thinking, distrust of .gov, etc. - must be a "popular" thing.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:11:53 pm by mutti »
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

azcoyote

• Tom Paine wannabe
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 02:25:33 am »

I did finish all 3 books and, while things bog down a little bit in the 3rd, I really liked them.

In the second book, "Catching Fire", Katniss has to go back to the Hunger Games. I initially thought, oh no, this is going to be a rehash of the first one, but it turned out not to be the case. It did move the plot and our heroine along. The third one does drag a bit when Katniss gets basically drafted into the rebel army. I think that is because if moves from her story to the larger picture. But by the end, it works and I was very satisfied.

A co-worker of mine has a 14 year old grandson and he said the teacher is pushing these books. He went out and bought the kid all three. Aside from the fact that it is getting kids to actually read, this is a story of rebellion against the status quo and the more kids who read it, the better.

This guy also said there is a movie deal in the works. That will bring more kids to books like the Harry Potter and LOTR movies did. Good deal.

Even if you don't have kids, any libertarian will like these. I sure did.

Coyote

gaurdduck

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 07:55:24 pm »

I seriously forgot about this... I wonder if any p!r473 copies exist...?

Junker

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 04:35:33 pm »

Hey Otaku, you've made it into

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku

oh yeah, and a Collins' page at amazon
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 04:39:46 pm by Junker »

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 06:12:22 pm »

14 yo minion finished reading these - the 10 yo self moderated herself and is saving the last one for a year or two.

Apparently a movie will be made.

Here is something interesting. This set of books is being recommended as a 5th grade reading set in Illinois Public Schools - I'm thinking - really? Why? The plot encourages thinking, distrust of .gov, etc. - must be a "popular" thing.
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

gaurdduck

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:47:04 am »

Hey Otaku, you've made it into

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku

oh yeah, and a Collins' page at amazon

Wikipedia has had an entry for Otaku longer than I've been one, and it doesn't mention me at all.

I'm also not on the collins page.

IDK what you're trying to say.

Junker

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 11:56:58 am »

OK, I'll re-do it in long hand (more understandable that way).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
In reading Pirate King Luffy's post, I finally got curious enough about his 'Otaku' to
do a search on it. Google came back with a Wikipedia ref so I clicked to go
there and read about the otaku. If you're interested-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku

Oh yeah, and since the subject here is the Collins books,
here's a Collins' page at amazon showing her books there.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2011, 12:05:05 pm »

Sort of OT - Isn't there a way to order through Amazon whatever products one wants and have a small "commission" that goes to SB or Claire? I thought I read about that once.

mutti

Junker

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 01:08:00 pm »

See Claire's store

Update note:
ClaireWolfe.com is down, but Claire's Amazon store is still alive at http://astore.amazon.com/clairewolfeco-20/105-4750152-8362854

= = = =copy:
Re: Prometheus Awards  « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:44:31 PM »
Generous thought, feralfae!

Yes, it's still active and here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect-home/clairewolfeco-20

Many thanks,
Claire
= = = =
found on search for "claire amazon"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:12:02 pm by Junker »

FlyBoy

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 12:37:43 pm »

I saw the movie and it was really good.  Now iI'm going to read the book.

gaurdduck

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 02:36:52 pm »

I read all 3 books and am waiting for the film to come out on DVD so I can watch it on my lappy top.
Pages: [1]   Go Up