The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: BBC America to air 'Survivors' on 2/13/10  (Read 6708 times)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
Re: BBC America to air 'Survivors' on 2/13/10
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 02:40:56 pm »

Holy record-breaking virus travel Batman! Did not know that it was based on a book, thanks again BEAR!
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2010, 02:14:01 pm »

For the 2/27/10 episode...

I was a little surprised that the gov't lady killed the female thief. And of course it's ironic that she was a part of a gov't that banned guns, but is now wanting to create a gov't that will use guns to kill others? Anyway, I don't know about the book, but sticking to this TV program, I was curious why the group didn't do any intelligence gathering regarding the two thieves? (Or did I miss that?) DH and I discussed what we would do in that situation. I don't know that there is a blanket rule that must apply to all... If the two thieves acted alone, then wouldn't it be safe to assume that they are in need of food and perhaps shelter? Would it behoove anyone to have the thieves pay restitution so to speak by working? Have them help work the land, build, gather supplies, etc.? Was the only choice to kill her?

When the father turned away his daughter I asked DH if he could do that. He said he didn't think he could do...

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 04:40:18 pm »

For the 2/27/10 episode...

I was a little surprised that the gov't lady killed the female thief. And of course it's ironic that she was a part of a gov't that banned guns, but is now wanting to create a gov't that will use guns to kill others?

Right. Guns are for Government, because Only Government Knows Best!  :puke:

Anyway, I don't know about the book, but sticking to this TV program, I was curious why the group didn't do any intelligence gathering regarding the two thieves? (Or did I miss that?) DH and I discussed what we would do in that situation. I don't know that there is a blanket rule that must apply to all... If the two thieves acted alone, then wouldn't it be safe to assume that they are in need of food and perhaps shelter? Would it behoove anyone to have the thieves pay restitution so to speak by working? Have them help work the land, build, gather supplies, etc.? Was the only choice to kill her?

I got the impression that the Govt' Lady (tm) found herself pushed into making a decision
that she wasn't really prepared to make. She need to show force not just as A Warning to Others,
but to show the group she had the backbone to lead.

Perhaps if she had shown more leadership in dealing with the problem proactively, such as telling
everyone exactly what she wanted to do and what she expected, she might have not painted herself
into a corner.

When the father turned away his daughter I asked DH if he could do that. He said he didn't think he could do...

I could not turn away either my wife nor my daughter. (OTOH, I have some other relatives ....) :D

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

gaurdduck

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2010, 08:24:13 pm »

I have but one relative I would enjoy turning away.
Several I'd give starter kits to, and several more I'd
actually help.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2010, 01:33:47 pm »

Good points, Bear! I gotta tell you, I'm much more riveted with this show than I was with The Colony...

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 02:29:34 pm »

Okay, unless I missed it, why is Tom Price bothered that Dr. Anya Raczynski is a lesbian?

Back to a real issue... Seeing the spiritual leader lose his mind because he cannot take meds for his mental issues got me thinking: what would I do if I came across someone like that? There are going to be a lot of crazies not on their meds (no doubt that many don't even take meds pre-WTSHTF). If you had a community or a small group of folks and someone began to manifest their mental issues, what do you do with them?!

gaurdduck

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2010, 05:05:52 pm »

Depends on their issues and the circumstances.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 06:58:05 pm »

Good points, Bear! I gotta tell you, I'm much more riveted with this show than I was with The Colony...

I tried to watch The Colony, but that made so many bad decisions that I got too frustrated
and had to do something else.

Bear
-- Bear

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 01:59:49 pm »

What the heck? Is it coming back?

Byte Me

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 01:16:55 pm »

I found the original 3 seasons (series to you Brits) on youtube.  Check out the channel AftermathShow.  He's been posting them the past few months and I think he's nearly done posting season 3.  Was made back in 1975-1977.

Pretty decent watch overall.  They don't completely write guns out but they're horribly portrayed and the lack of a realistic portrayal of how violent it would be is also lacking.  I did enjoy watching it through though.

Byte

Actually watching sn 3 ep 5 right now.
They'll vote themselves free at about the same time they spend themselves rich. - MamaLiberty

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 05:59:54 am »

Just finished the first season. (I love Netflix)  It is a great story - 99% of the population gone.  The layers of humanity that are revealed in the days and weeks afterward were interesting to see.  I was surprised how anti-gun nearly everyone was.  Must be a British thing.

It really made me think though.  It would be hard to 'go it alone' but you are then stuck with (most likely) complete strangers who also happened to survive.  What would you do first once the reality sunk in?
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Hammer

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 06:50:50 am »

Versus those strangers finding hemselves in my compound would flinch asking how I aquired the Armory! Holy crap!!

I would kind of like to see that show back again. It was entertaining, but not much operational knowledge.
If some is good... more is better... and too much is just about right - me.

In the land of the pig... the butcher is King! - Meatloaf

F42

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2010, 09:55:08 am »

I found the original 3 seasons (series to you Brits) on youtube.  Check out the channel AftermathShow.  He's been posting them the past few months and I think he's nearly done posting season 3.  Was made back in 1975-1977.

Pretty decent watch overall.  They don't completely write guns out but they're horribly portrayed and the lack of a realistic portrayal of how violent it would be is also lacking.  I did enjoy watching it through though.

Byte

Actually watching sn 3 ep 5 right now.

I am also watching the original series. Haven't seen any of the new one as yet, but I would assume that it is way more PC than one done 35 years ago.

On the realistic portrayal of violence' thing, I doubt that if 99% of the people were dead, that violence would be as much of a problem as it would from a collapsing society.

The poor portrayal of guns in the 70's serries was just about what I would have expected from that era in England. Remember they were a respectfull society for many generations. (the old honor thing) We here in the US are far more violent than most Europeean's.

I'm enjoying the 70's version, and have been downloading it to compile some DVD's for others.

People who think they know everything, are particularly annoying to those of us that do.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 11:43:01 am »

One thing that bothered me a  bit about the portrayal of violence/guns in the remake
was that the escaped prisoner made good judgement calls often, and yet the argument
seemed to be that 'violence is bad, period', without any discussion of how it could be
an appropriate response in some circumstances. I expected to the escaped prisoner to
point that out in his defense, but he never did (or I don't remember him doing it).

Bear
-- Bear
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up