The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blizzard rescue gives couple reason to be thankful  (Read 2095 times)

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
Blizzard rescue gives couple reason to be thankful
« on: November 28, 2010, 01:33:00 am »

A harrowing tale from the recent blizzard.  It is instructive that if you live in the Montana boonies, especially if you are older, a bad Winter storm may be more than you can handle if you are not cautious and  something goes wrong.  Small towns do have their advantages.

Basil

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_b4508e50-8143-51fd-ac88-dbaf15ea5b87.html

Blizzard rescue gives couple reason to be thankful

By ROB ROGERS Of The Gazette Staff The Billings Gazette | Posted: Saturday, November 27, 2010 12:15 am

PAUL RUHTER/Gazette Staff photos

Pat Latraverse kisses her husband, Jerry, on Friday after talking about Jerry's rescue outside Big Timber on Thanksgiving Day. Jerry suffered frostbite on his hands, below, after being stranded outside his home during a blizzard.

Jerry Latraverse lay in a snow drift, his pants dragged down to his knees, caught on the backyard fence he'd just managed to climb, his gloves clutched in one of his hands.
It was about 8 p.m. Wednesday, the night before Thanksgiving. The wind was blowing in 70 mph gusts, and the snow was coming down fast. Just 200 feet away stood the back door of his house, lights shining brightly.  ...<snip>...

Bennie

Re: Blizzard rescue gives couple reason to be thankful
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 02:11:31 am »

WOW & JEEPERS !!! That was kinda touching.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 07:50:53 am »

Amen! And it can happen so easily. I locked myself out of the house the day before Thanksgiving when stepping out the front door to empty the ashes. It was zero outside, but I'd not put a coat on because I wasn't going to stay outside. I thank God I had on my wool socks and heavy boots. No coat, no hat, no gloves, no keys - and my bag of extra clothes and socks had been taken out of the car last summer to repack, and never got put back. I had a plastic poncho and an old flannel shirt in the car. With the shirt on my head and the poncho over all to block the wind, I walked about 1/2 mile to a neighbor's house. He gave me a ride to a friend who has my spare set of keys. I'm very, very grateful it was daylight and no snow was falling. I don't think I would have made it in the dark. And I'm thankful the neighbor was at home during the day too!!! What a blessing.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 11:55:29 am »

ML,

Try having one of those things with a secret compartment for a key somewhere outside the house. Most people feel they don't need it. Until it happened to them.

And if you're usually alone, then you need it.

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 12:36:53 pm »

Try having one of those things with a secret compartment for a key somewhere outside the house. Most people feel they don't need it. Until it happened to them.

And if you're usually alone, then you need it.

Well, I don't usually go outside without my gunbelt on - which has the main set of keys attached. I'm going to work hard to see that doesn't happen again. Don't feel comfortable with leaving keys outside anywhere, which is why my neighbor has a set. I also put the spare clothing bag back into the car, along with the box that has the fire starter stuff. Cleaning out the car in July is NO excuse not to have important stuff back in by November. sigh

Mostly, in serious blizzard and cold conditions, I simply don't go outside beyond the wood pile - and not even that if it's bad. I'm extremely aware of the danger of older folks living alone. sigh The man in this first story would surely have died if his wife had not been there.

Just have to work harder to mind the little details. And the lock on that storm door that shut me out is now disabled until spring. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: [1]   Go Up