The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preparedness in college??  (Read 3247 times)

jkharrer

Preparedness in college??
« on: March 27, 2011, 01:28:46 pm »

So I'm a college student at USD, and I live in the dorms on campus. I believe in being prepared for the unexpected, but it's kind of hard to gather and maintain the necessary supplies (especially weapons!) in order to survive in a SHTF situation. Right now I've just got my BOB supplies locked up in a footlocker (I use my backpack for school, its comfortable). In my footlocker I've got my camelbak, water purification tabs, my M3 medic bag, a small waterproof bag with matches/tinder and a flattened roll of TP (essential), two MREs, a very small basic hygiene kit, a small am/fm hand crank radio, my surefire light, and a small tool kit (mostly bike/weapon stuff that isn't on a gerber tool), and of course my various knives/backup knives/backup backup knives, and the essential gerber multitool. All this fits in my BOB and only weighs about 45lbs which isn't too bad. If I had to GOOD, it would probably be by bike, and the situation would dictate where I went. Anybody have any suggestions for how I can be best prepared in a place like school? Thanks in advance!

jamie

Re: Preparedness in college??
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 07:42:10 pm »

Go through your gear and cut weight. Strip the MREs,  get rid of redundant knives, etc. I don't see  any shelter, sleeping or cooking system.   Get a good sidearm, holster and magazine carriers with two extra (at least) magazines and practice enough to have some confidence and competence if you don't already have those things. Maybe join an IPSC or IDPA club. 

Take your rucksack and all the gear you intend to take and go for a long walk or bike that is close or at your limit.  Do it again the next day preferably at night.  Then later or at the same time, go without sleep or food for 24 hrs and do the same thing. Live only with what you brought. That is if you have never done anything like that.

Don't see anything about Maps or navigation. But then I don't know your plans, what your thinking is, or exactly what your situation is.

If you think you will have to get out by bike preselect and learn several routes with bypasses around choke points and danger areas.

Read and study the Zombie Survival guide by Max Brooks.  Kidding, but a fun read.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 04:46:01 pm by jamie »

MommaHen

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:45:16 pm »

Hi JK :)

My family and I are pretty new to planning for when SHTF, however I'd like to chime in anyways.

I think a key factor that would help you out- is to have a friend (or a family that you can friend) that live nearby so that you can in fact have your sidearm, and a possible overnight before you can leave town etc. Maybe even find a family that is like-minded and rather than GOOD offer the family your services (weither that be a skill you have, or just extra eyes and weapons for security etc). If you can't have your sidearm on campus (which I believe is the case) then check and see if a local gun range will rent you a locker or safebox - and get in some good range time.

Glad to see someone from a younger than me generation thinking ahead :) We have hope!

jkharrer

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 11:48:34 pm »

thanks for the replies!
MommaHen you're right about no firearms on campus, although I do have a Mini 14 w plenty of ammo back home, along with all of my other survival goodies. I like your idea about meeting up with a family and offering my skills... I think my medical training (although just basic combat lifesaving) and basic soldiering skills would be valuable to some people, especially a family.

jamie, I didn't mention my MREs are field stripped, and I only carry three knives when I'm moving that is: edc pocket folder, fixed blade gerber LHR (fantastic knife!), and boot knife. But I hadn't thought about sleeping arrangements... I'll have to see what I can do there. And like I said I can't have firearms on campus so I'm just going to have to rely on avoiding contact with others to keep me safe until I can arm myself properly. I'm pretty confident in being able to pick up and use just about any firearm. As for maps and nav I have a topo of the area and a lensatic compass that I forgot to mention (from ROTC)
as for the Zombie Survival Guide, well it was actually that book and JRs "How to Survive the End of the World as We Know It" that got me interested in all of this!

thanks again!

jamie

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 02:13:42 am »

Things have changed, I kept a 1911 in my dorm room at MSU in Bozeman, I don't know whether it was legal or not, I just figured it was none of their business.

ohtomt

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 08:44:31 am »

What about getting a storage locker/unit off campus but still close enough that you could get to it? That might expand your preparedness a little b/c you'd have more room and wouldn't be under the restrictions of the school. However, GOOD would still hold all of the same issues as discussed above. Personally, I am a bug-in kind of girl but obviously, you don't really have that option in a dorm full of oblivious, unprepared college kids. ;-) 

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 09:01:17 am »

a couple of footlockers under the bunk?  The dorms are definately not anywhere you want to stay for even a hal second if you can figure out how to GOOD.  A bike with a kiddie carrier outta do ya if you don't have a car.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up