The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Move to the Mountain States--The American Redoubt  (Read 7633 times)

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
Move to the Mountain States--The American Redoubt
« on: March 29, 2011, 07:44:54 pm »

http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/03/move_to_the_mountain_states--t.html

Move to the Mountain States--The American Redoubt

By James Wesley, Rawles on March 28, 2011 9:39 PM ...

See the discussion at

http://thementalmilitia.com/forums/index.php?topic=28373.new;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 07:46:28 pm by Basil Fishbone »

DK-9

• Dogs are the most practical companion.
    • Dunetos K-9
Re: Move to the Mountain States--The American Redoubt
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 07:42:29 pm »

One of my questions reference this call, and I think it is a great idea, is:

"How do we procure land that will not be taken from us, if we encounter a severe economic inflation and large numbers of people lose their jobs?"

It is great to talk about buying property and moving there, it is my short term goal at this point, but I have a nagging in the back of my mind regarding about carrying a mortgage when there is a good possibility that my income will be significantly reduced.  If the land is paid off, no issue, but if I owe on it, this could be a big problem.

Thoughts?
Armed citizens are more polite and helpful citizens.  For they fear neither the one they are assisting or the one who may seek to do them harm at other times.  They are able to both protect and assist, and therefore are more willing to do both.  Arm yourself and encourage others to do likewise.  We will live in a friendlier society if we were all armed.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 05:51:29 am »

Yeah, that has been a concern of mine.  which makes the retreat a long term issue so you either have the mortgage paid off or have the gulch itself earning an income to pay for itself.......  I tend to think of the gulch as the family farm, mortgage and all, with a nice niche cash crop and a couple of back up money makers.

Something like Emu/ Ostriches for the goument meat market and exotic boot market with the ability to convert to local dairy/ eggery and biogas factory when SHTF comes.

The rub there is always paying the property tax, which is a state/ county issue.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

BigSky

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 03:18:24 am »

Please the last thing you should do if something goes down is move too Montana. If Montanans wake up one day and here theres a mass exedus out of the citys too find "safter places to homestead" ...The sound of raking automatic weapons will be heard all over the State.  And people will be very protective of there land, people will be shot. This crazy idea that everyones just going to waltze into Montana and eat up all the food and resources from our farmers markets and everyones going to be hunkydory is complete BS.  Once peoples food and land gets threatened.... It will get real ugly real quick.  Not too mention the winters here, you gotta have at least 2 kords of wood to last through the winters here..... People who come unprepared for blistering below zero wheather will most likely die. So rethink this idea...In an Extreme situation the first thing that will happen is mass exedus out of the citys....everyone will be on the roads going to places like Montana, take my advice Sometimes its better not too follow the crowds in extreme situations, go where nobody will be going.

Rarick

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 09:13:48 am »

There is a metroplex called "The Front Range"  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Front_Range  You may want to steer clear if you can, if they grew out to your retreat.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 11:25:53 am »

While no one wants a mortgage if they can avoid it, I would not be hung up on that.
My thinking is that there is no guaranteed "safe" situation where your land cannot be
taken from you, so don't let the mortgage stop your plans.

My hope is to keep making mortgage payments until things are so far down the drain
that everyone else is in the same boat and it doesn't matter.

I DO think it's important that you get on to your land as soon as possible so that you
can start building relations with your neighbors, so you can be considered 'one of us'
instead of an outsider. This takes time, and there are no short cuts. Get started now.

Best of luck,

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 11:28:52 am »

Wow, Rawles is now pimping the northwest?  I thought he was big on sending his followers to Colorado and Arizona before.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Hutch

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 12:04:56 pm »

Wow, Rawles is now pimping the northwest?  I thought he was big on sending his followers to Colorado and Arizona before.

Arizona and Colorado are ranked 9 and 10.

http://www.survivalblog.com/retreatareas.html

Hutch

Mountain Prepper

• Observation, logic, communication, and acceptance is the only rational path.
  • Crafty Mountain Coyote
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:07:10 pm »

Best news ever, now Coloradans don’t have to worry about a bunch of delusional statist religionist fascist moving in an ruining the state even more.

At least the typical california dope smoking liberal doesn’t own guns or wants to force you to pray “their way” - keeps Colorado safer.
The majority of the populace remains willfully and blissfully ignorant of the fact that they are simply trained apes owned by the oligarchy. The act of voting is only another delusion to distract, similar to sports, controlled media manipulation, and religion. Nothing is ever fixed because normal is both mediocre and cowardly.

Hutch

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:15:39 pm »

Best news ever, now Coloradans don’t have to worry about a bunch of delusional statist religionist fascist moving in an ruining the state even more.

At least the typical california dope smoking liberal doesn’t own guns or wants to force you to pray “their way” - keeps Colorado safer.

That doesn't describe me but I've been thinking Colorado for awhile.

Ft.Collins to be specific. I went thru there once and really  liked the town and location.

For some reason,I consider this an added bonus:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=54-02-05-00

Any thoughts on FT. Collins?

Hutch

jamie

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »

That doesn't describe me but I've been thinking Colorado for awhile.

Ft.Collins to be specific. I went thru there once and really  liked the town and location.

For some reason,I consider this an added bonus:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/main/site_main.htm?modecode=54-02-05-00

Any thoughts on FT. Collins?

Hutch

If Ft Collins is of interest then why not Larimie, Wy?  They are both college towns.  Colorado is less likely to be a free state than Wyoming.  That would seem to be an important consideration.

Rarick

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 08:51:24 pm »

I will second Bear's suggestion twice over!  I nearly had to move on in the first 2 years due to the perception I may have been one of "Them" coming "Up" from down south.  fortunately I did have some family already in the area, who I knew were somewhere around.  I did not know them by sight (I last saw them 15+ years ago) but would recognize them by name, a few deals to prove I was not a black sheep and a willingness to pitch in after some real nasty storms to prove I was part of the community.........   It takes both work and time, the shorter the time-the harder the work.

Oh, I now have a machinist and mechanic relatives that have woken up.  I am glad I made plans for a water wheel/ additional power in the long run, it may be needed......

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 01:11:33 am »

I considered Colorado, but a friend told me that the CIA moved their headquarters to Denver.  Or so I heard.

Now onto more important things.  I drove several routes through Colorado this year.

The terrain is beautiful!  The cities are pretty, especially the small towns east of Fort Collins, and north towards Cheyenne.

The turn off is the "smog scanners" or "vehicle scanners" or whatever they are, the JBT vans at every freeway ramp north, east, west and south of Denver.  BLECH!  The enviro police is up and strong.  Also saw two meat warehouses going through past Denver.  For the uninitiated, that's prisons!  Wow, either they have a lot of real criminals, or more likely too many freaking pointless laws.  I was disgusted enough to never want to return.  Too bad, since the business people I dealt with, were remarkably polite, had their stuff together, but that's the case with any competent business people, anywhere.  The problem is that most of us who did and do good work (not just "get it done" but GOOD work) end up quitting and quitting the world at large.

I'm not there yet, but if another pasty faced lacy panties kill joy shitmonkey comes up to tell me what I can and can't do on my own freaking property, or in my own house, methinks I'll have a conniption.
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Hutch

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 10:17:45 am »

Hmmm...Thanks for the feedback.

Hutch
Pages: [1]   Go Up