The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 63   Go Down

Author Topic: What are you listening to?  (Read 108677 times)

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
What are you listening to?
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2005, 05:16:26 pm »

I like country music.. which is actually quite odd for me considering that country music is often associated with blind patriotism and faith, neither of which I particularly wish to be associated with...

Country has a history of that. Merle Haggard recorded, "Fighting Side of Me", and "Okie from Moskogie" which were pro-military songs during the Vietnam war. One of the lines in Fighting side of me is love it or leave it.

$
Both country music and blues are steeped in old-time southern religion.  Personally I love it when I hear Loretta Lynn or Jerry Lee Lewis singing one of the hymns I grew up with, but with that said, you're right.  I can't stand most of the current country music because it's so schmaltzy and syrupy.  When I heard Darrell Worley's "Have You Forgotten" I wanted to puke.  I actually have it on my hard drive just so I can revel in how much I despise it. :huh:   It's such a blatant cashing in.  When I read Johnny Cash's autobiography, I was struck by his observation that country music as a genre had become largely a caricature of itself, the symbols themselves having taken on greater significance than that which they symbolized.  For years I had felt the same way about the outlaw biker image.  Hell, it's happening all over this country.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

Chris

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2005, 06:29:50 pm »

Progressive rock, jazz, celtic, and I have Ian to thank for getting me into bagpipe music.  

Lately -

Shadow Gallery - their new album, Room V, is the greatest thing to hit the progressive rock scene since Metropolis Part 2 - Scenes From A Memory.
Kings X
Alex Skolnick Trio
Counting Crows - just got their "best of" album - all their good songs in one CD.  Nice.
Tempest
Dave Brubeck, of course...
Chick Correia Electric Band
The Wallflowers
Diana Krall
The Pogues - really fun stuff!

- Chris

Thunder

• Go away, boy! Ya bother me! -Foghorn Leghorn
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2005, 06:46:00 pm »

Dream Theater (all albums)
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Metallica
Megadeth
Bif Naked
Pokerface
80's hair bands
southern rock
classic rock
bluegrass
Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
Brian Setzer

There's a bunch more, but I like a lot of different stuff and I can't name them all.

Thunder[/color][/font]

There are times, sir, when men of good conscience cannot blindly follow orders.  -Capt. Jean-Luc Picard

Wars will cease when people start loving their children more than they love the government.

People use the term 'chaos' only when they can't see far enough to view the big picture.   -Deepak Chopra

There are no illegal guns, only illegal gun laws.

JustaCaveman

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2005, 06:47:32 pm »

Earthmover
Suicide Machines
Fugazi
Rage Against the Machine
Tool

that's what I'm listening to now!

Take it easy!

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2005, 11:58:50 pm »

Skyclad (when I just want to scream)
Marley's Ghost (esp. their song "Aura."  "I've seen your aura and it's ugly...")
Madison Greene (Balafon Intro/Crywater Prayer makes me want to dance, but I don't care about most of their other songs)
Mary Chapin-Carpenter
Leslie Fish
country music when I'm in my car
Motley Crue (sometimes)
Pink Floyd (thanks to my older brother and my 1st husband)
classic rock
Tom Chapin's kid's music

I also like classical piano, James Galway, celtic music (not the modern stuff), and bluegrass.
Like rockchucker, I like to sit down and enjoy my music without interruptions or distractions.  Since I have way too many of both of those, I really don't listen to much.

Vydunas

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2005, 08:29:01 am »

I've been immersing myself in David Diamond, who died a couple weeks ago at 89.

Diamond's career was really hot in the '40s, but in the 50s he moved to Italy for a decade or so (partly because he got a Guggenheim and could, partly because of McCarthyism.). He came back and taught at Juilliard for a number of years.

His earlier works (say through 4th Symphony) alternate between great energy and optimism (both of which I need these days) and tragic grandeur. In the late 50s his music became thornier and more chromatic, without losing its power to communicate. He made a comeback in the 90s, mostly through the advocacy of conductor Gerard Schwarz.  To a certain extent his case was that of a relative conservative writing against the trends of the times, but he was also somewhat personally prickly, and not afraid to argue that he wasn't getting his props.

Best introduction is his Symphonies 2 & 4 on Naxos...great music, cheap price.

HRearden

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2005, 09:05:15 am »

I've been immersing myself in David Diamond, who died a couple weeks ago at 89.

Was he Neil's father?

$

The Cabinet Man

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2005, 10:30:01 am »

Mike Ness

Ah, yes, another Social D fan.  "White Light, White Heat, White Trash" is certainly their finest work.  IMO, anyway...

Recent runs thru the CD player:

"The Woods", Sleater-Kinney
"Bleed Like Me", Garbage
"Physical Graffiti", Led Zep
"Pawn Shoppe Heart", Von Bondies
"American Idiot", Green Day
"Mezmerize", System of a Down
"Pubic Fruit", Curve
"The Silent Circus", Between the Buried and Me

Anxiously awaiting Tool's new release...

TCM

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2005, 11:32:39 am »

I'll listen to most near anything, but not quite.  I can't stand opera, rap, or classical (with very few exceptions to the latter and none to the formers).

I primarily listen to country, everything from Hank Williams, Sr. up through the more modern stuff.  I've been known to listen to most styles of rock, the blues, and most of the stuff played on the local mix station (which is mostly rock and pop).  I station surf a lot and if it sounds good, I'll hang out.

I'm currently listening to "Train Travelin'" by Dierks Bently with the Del McCoury Band, which is the last track on Dierks Bently's self titled CD...which I bought solely for the song "What Was I Thinkin'", which is the first track on the CD.  As a bonus, most of  the songs on it are pretty good and the rest are tolerable.

I'm also currently carrying with me Toby Keith's "Honkytonk University", Jet's "Get Born", Jamie Cullum's "Twentysomething" (with an excellent cover of "Wind Cries Mary" among others), and the deluxe edition of Norah Jones' "Feels Like Home" album.

I recently took several CDs out of my daily carry including a live album from Ricky Skaggs which contained an interesting cover of "Cat's in the Cradle".  My Doc Watson CDs are all at home, as are my standard edition of "Feels Like Home" and Norah's "Come Away With Me" album, which has an excellent cover of Hank Williams' "Cold, Cold Heart".

Something that really draws me is purity of voice.  And by that, I mean that their voice sounds the same live as it does on the album.  For example, Jamie Cullum's CD was recorded on analog equipment for 2 reasons:  1) they didn't need all the tracks digital recording requires and 2) the boy can sing.  Well enough, in fact, that he doesn't need digital editing to make his music tolerable.  I discovered his music the same way I did Norah Jones, which was stumbling across Austin City Limits while channel surfing.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Jac

• CPC? I'd tell you, but I'd have to kill you...
    • http://www.russmo.com
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2005, 11:53:16 am »

If it's not rap or real heavy metal "rock" I'll listen to it, and probably like it. Eclectic seems to be a trend around here.

I've most recently been on an Oasis kick (Nostalgia, baby; can't believe it's been 10 years since What's the Story, Morning Glory) and diggin' on the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack.

I like EVERYTHING the Eagles have done. They're probably my favorite band, because I've never heard an Eagles song I don't like, and I've heard them all. B)

A lot of PSM's list can be moved into mine; Stray Cats, REO Speedwagon :P (no, really), CCR, Stevie Ray Vaughan, &tc.

I have never regretted that I chose to "take the red pill." But there are days, just rarely, when the truth is so ugly, so brutal, so unmerciful, so relentless, that even if I wouldn't rip the truth from the wall socket and hurl it out the window to crash on the sidewalk below, I wouldn't mind if it featured a snooze button so we could savor just a few more moments in slumbered pretension and warm, fuzzy lies pulled snugly up over our heads.
--PSM

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2005, 12:10:33 pm »

Some more stuff I like to listen to. securitysix mentioned purity of voice.
Barbra Streisand - I have loved to hear her sing since I first heard My Name Is Barbra in '65. At that time, she and I didn't have such opposing political views.  :rolleyes:  Whadda voice.
Linda Rondstadt - I've enjoyed everything she did - from the Stone Poneys to the work she did with Nelson Riddle and her Latin and Mexican stuff.
Mel Torme
Kiri Te Kanawa

These are not necessarily purity of voice.
John Mayall
The Harmonicats
Harpo Marx
Chico Marx - I love his style - the scene in The Big Store where Ravelli is teaching the kids and they play with the same style is a classic.
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
Asleep at the Wheel
Zoot Sims, Dexter Gordon, Thelonius Monk, Grover Washington, Lou Marinin - oh, that reminds me - the Blues Brothers

The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2005, 01:56:18 pm »

Anyone else here like the Squirrel Nut Zippers? Hmm, thinking of swing, how can I leave out Lyle Lovett?

Oh, and REO Speedwagon -- them I like too.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

rockchucker

• ... death awaits you all with nasty pointy teeth!
    • FreedomSight
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2005, 02:00:03 pm »

purity of voice.
[...]
Kiri Te Kanawa
Well, you might like Sarah Brightman then. I know, I already mentioned her. She originated the role of Christine in Phantom of the Opera, and I believe was hooked up with Andrew Lloyd Weber for a while.

Also, there's a somewhat obscure group called Renaissance, featuring classicaly trained Annie Haslam on lead vocals. Very nice, IMHO.
... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Put a little birdhouse in your soul. -- TMBG

FreedomSight

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2005, 02:02:34 pm »

Anyone else here like the Squirrel Nut Zippers?
Yes.
Interesting side note. I don't know if you are/were aware of this. And I don't even know if it is relevant. When we stopped off at Mount Airy, NC on our way down to SC last month, we stopped in at Opie's Candy Store. It was, obviously, an old fashioned candy store with bulk candy in jars. They had a candy called Squirrel Nut Zippers.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2005, 02:11:23 pm »

In addition to Renaissance, I believe Annie Haslam worked with Mike Oldfield. I do really like her voice.

Other things I've had on the playlist recently include:

Skyclad
Heather Alexander
Shadow Gallery
Sirenia
Nightwish
Transatlantic
Lullacry
Edenbridge
Dire Straits

And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 63   Go Up