The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Westboro Baptist stymied in Brandon, MS  (Read 12478 times)

mutti

• Mutti
Re: Westboro Baptist stymied in Brandon, MS
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 03:51:36 pm »

FBI utilizes Westboro to train Agents for domestic terrorism - why do I think being a fly on the wall in those sessions would have been interesting?

FBI Wanted to Learn of Domestic Terrorism From Westboro Church

The FBI confirmed Wednesay that members of the controversial Westboro Baptist Church were part of a training program for agents and police officials at two separate bureau facilities, a move that has now been abandoned.
Law enforcement officials who attended the session said it was focused on domestic terrorism. They were told that interacting with Westboro members they could observe extremists up close and understand what makes them tick.

The program was brought to halt when Thomas Browne, assistant director for the FBI, strongly objected to bringing the extremist group that pickets at military funerals to a military facility. Browne’s one-line-long memo discontinuing the training program read: The FBI is not to invite Westboro to any of its training sessions again, NPR reported.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2011, 05:49:17 am »

Amazing how broad the domestic terrorism definition is, isn't it?   If I were a thinking person (?) in that group I would be considering the warning inherent in the FBI invitation...........

........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

freewoman

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2011, 07:13:30 pm »

These folks are planning to stage a protest at the funeral of a local soldier killed in Afghanistan.  The commentary has been interesting.  Most are in favor of eliminating their right to free speech.  A few folks plan to surround the family of the dead soldier to form a barrier between them and the Westboro people.  The Westboro people want to do their protests in Florida because there's an attempt in this state to provide a 500-foot distance between protestors and soldiers' families during funerals.  The protestors feel that is unconstitutional. 

The Constitution demands that these folks be allowed their opportunity to express their views.  I agree that they should be allowed to show up if they'd like; I do hope the counter-protestors don't start a fight, which will just exacerbate the situation. 

One thing I can't figure out, though; besides the obvious fact that the Westboro people are getting lots of attention for their cause by protesting at soldiers' funerals, I really don't see any other point to it.  The dead soldiers were not gay, at least as far as I've been able to determine in reading articles on the protests.  There doesn't seem to be any evidence that these dead soldiers supported gays in the military.  Other than the media frenzy, it makes no sense for these protests to take place at funerals.  Gee, I wonder why they don't have a stream of protests in front of the Pentagon?  Or near the offices of the Congresscritters who voted to get rid of "don't ask, don't tell"?  If the Westboro "family" is so worried about the military's stance on gays, why don't they go to the source of the problem?

Here's the linky for the local story:  http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2011/jul/10/anti-gay-westboro-church-to-picket-st-lucie/

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 07:24:02 am »

People will interact, where most people would probably tolerate a dissenting voice from a neighbor or a lest "Local" county level, they probably would not respect the same from a stranger.   When the stranger comes across as virulent and hateful as this Baptist group, other more primal and harder to manager refelxes get triggered.  Hence my comments.   

I believe freedom of speech applies more to the attempt at effective communication, rather than the typical screeching like monkees I see in a lot of these protests.  I will make some effort to find out what the hominids are screeching about since we are the same species, but at some point a human being will walk away or take steps to protect himself from the savages...........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • Moderator Group
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 06:47:01 pm »

People will interact, where most people would probably tolerate a dissenting voice from a neighbor or a lest "Local" county level, they probably would not respect the same from a stranger.   When the stranger comes across as virulent and hateful as this Baptist group, other more primal and harder to manager refelxes get triggered.  Hence my comments.   

I believe freedom of speech applies more to the attempt at effective communication, rather than the typical screeching like monkees I see in a lot of these protests.  I will make some effort to find out what the hominids are screeching about since we are the same species, but at some point a human being will walk away or take steps to protect himself from the savages...........
... or at very least insist upon the borders of their personal private space.

Just being helpful Rarick.
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 06:51:11 am »

Takes money to be traveling around doing these "demonstrations." Wonder where they get it...  Don't those people have jobs and families? What is it they hope to accomplish, besides being self styled martyrs when someone gets a belly full of it and puts out their lights?

None of it makes any more sense than the suicide bombers or an awful lot of shit going on. The whole world has gone absolutely bonkers.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Ailin

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 10:06:56 am »

They protest military funerals, as many as they can get to, because they believe that every soldier's death is a punishment from God for the acceptance of homosexuality in America, as well as other moral depravities in American culture.

The core of the Westborough Baptist Church is an extended family of lawyers, and they've made their living for decades off of the lawsuits they file against cities, states and anti-protestors.

freewoman

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 07:44:01 pm »

I see the Westboro crowd as the fundamentalist Christian version of ACORN and their ilk.  Just traveling around, garnering media attention wherever they can. 

amagi

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 11:57:01 am »

If you think about it, their methods have been very, very effective.  After all, we have all heard of them and know what their cause is. Wasn't that the point?
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

freewoman

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 04:33:20 pm »

Update on the fallen solder's funeral--the Westboro people didn't show up, several community groups were there to shield the family in case they did, and the solder received a fond farewell.  No comments from the Westboro staff were obtained to discover if they abstained from attending because of the groundswell of support for the soldier's family, or if there were other reasons why they didn't attend as they had said they would.  Might have gotten ugly if they did, and Port St. Lucie has been in the news too much lately!  (A local kid beat his parents to death with a hammer, and it was on the national news.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up