The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The system...  (Read 3891 times)

dougmt

The system...
« on: December 16, 2004, 04:46:22 pm »

So it comes to this... We were self employed for a long time but recently found ourselves having to find employment. We are in Southern Oregon right now and we full-time RV so we're staying in a nice RV park looking at the Ocean (that's the nice part) The Mrs. found a job and that's good but the job basically requires you to have a bank account so that they may direct deposit your check. She was told "you can get a paper check but you can only pick it up during business hours and while the owner is here" So we reluctantly went bank shopping. U.S. Bank which also has an outlet in our home town in MT was the easiest to get into with the RV and was the only National bank in this small town. They would have worked but they wanted 2 forms of I.D. plus proof of where we lived. Well we have our drivers license but it shows our MT address and that's a PO BOX (we full-time RV). I told the gal that we had our RV lot rent proof and she said that would not work because it was "temporary". Long story short they would not let us open an account. So we go to another bank and sit for a half an hour waiting for someone to help us. I started reading their bank literature and what a bunch of $hit!!!!!!! They want ME to pay THEM for the privilige of housing MY money. Even there "free" checking cost money even if you keep $100.00 in it. I got up and walked out. All's I want is a damn savings account so that she can get her check on payday!!! But no.... that costs $$$$ unless you leave $200.00 in it.  I haven't banked in over 3 years and when I did it was at a credit union. The bank we used for our business was totally free. So it looks like we will now have to pay 5-10 bucks a month to cash the one monthly check she will get from the fast food place. (they pay once a month). BAHHHHH HUMBUGGGGG
D
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 04:47:43 pm by dougmt »

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
The system...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2004, 04:53:31 pm »

What kind of crap is that?
That's all I got to say.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

H.M. WoggleBug, T.E.

• DuckBites®
The system...
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 09:15:10 pm »

Sorry 'bout your troubles. Part of the Patriot Act to reign in outlyers.

I just left Southern Oregon, and had many interesting experiences with banks. If one is nearby, you might check out "Umpqua" bank. It is by far the nicest and most efficient bank I have ever seen.

You still might be required to get a DL, though - not Umpqua's fault. Your RV Park address is adequate - just don't tell them it's an RV park!

I lived in Eugene in an RV park for a couple of years. Just told them it was "4531 Franklin Ave #14" - that was sufficient. But that was 10 years ago, too.

Good luck. You may need it.

'Bugbite

Take care of the means, and the end will take care of itself.

UnstructuredAgain

The system...
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 09:27:22 pm »

It is sad, but it is also true.  Used to be, even in the 80's when you could shop banks and if you didn't like one, another would suit your needs.  This all changed in the late 90's with the Know your Cusomer Rules and more recently with the Patriot Act.  They are under heavy pressure to make sure you aren't a terrorist or money launderer.   The only thing you can still do is cash the check at the bank that issued it and if they ask for a fingerprint put superglue on it.  Credit Unions fall under the same regs so you can't go there anymore either.  Innocent folks have to suffer, or pay big dollars at check cashing establishments which will take your picture and fingerprint.  F*ck em all and hope they fall.  You know, if you know someone with an established bank account ask them if they'd be willing to have you sign the checks over to them.  They would then deposit them and pay you after a withdrawl.  If you want to get a great idea about how bankers think, check out http://bankersonline.com  I've infiltrated the place and am actually a "bank manager" by title.  I talk to these unsympathetic people all the time.  If you want to know any more about how to handle your situation, I'd be happy to help you out as much as I can.

Peace and Good Day

goingpostal

The system...
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 11:34:54 pm »

Umpqua Bank is now interstate. It recently took over several merged banks in northern California. My nephew worked for Tehama Bank, one of the taken-overs. Don't waste your time. They're all the same.
If banks had their way, they'd get you fingerprinted, photographed, DNA'd, credit searched,  and have you bend over -- unless you're an  "undocumented" immigrant in which case a forged Matricula Consular or Social Security card will suffice.
It wasn't too many years ago, maybe 10, that I was able to cash a large check from one of my customers at his bank with proper ID, and get cash in $500 bills to transport to my bank or just put in my wallet. If I tried something like that now, I'd be on a list, probably audited, or at the very least grilled by the bank manager,  told that only $100 bills are available to the public, and then offered a "bank transfer" or cashiers check. All this for one reason only, so the government could track me.
Sorry mine friends, when dealing with banks there is no such thing as privacy.
Banks are nothing more than an arm of the state. Act accordingly. Avoid them if at all possible.

If I had a job that only required once a month check cashing, I'd definitely go for the fee shops. Screw the banks.

postal

H.M. WoggleBug, T.E.

• DuckBites®
The system...
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 12:07:46 am »

Umpqua Bank is now interstate.

Are you sure you're thinking of the same bank? I still have a couple of accounts there, and haven't seen any sign that they were bought.

Still very helpful, too.

'Bug
Take care of the means, and the end will take care of itself.

UnstructuredAgain

The system...
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2004, 12:09:36 am »

Yeah, F the banks, do it nominee style or with a business, if not that then let's set up our own kinda like Hawala.  That's just late night tired talk, but seriously, there's coming a time real real soon when many folks are squeeezed right out of society, so capitalize on that and offfer a good service.  Noone has to know and you can set the service up anonymously.  Try it out with your friends and family first perhaps to see just how to go about it and expand that way.  There are millions out there who are shut out of the "bastard" banks and their Fed arms.  This country was about helping a brother out, sure make a buck in the process but let's help each other out, gulch style. Of course the one receiveing the service would have to pay with either service or cash and thangs.  :)  There's an idea.  In the mean time though proxy yourself from the banks and anyone who controls your money, and save it your way.

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
The system...
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2004, 01:34:43 am »

There's always alfii. And the more people who sign up for accounts, the more services can be provided. If a bunch of people from here sign up, I am going to wish I had signed up as an affiliate back when Wayne was first getting it started.
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Desertrat

The system...
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 07:17:06 am »

$500 and $1,000 bills haven't been given out by any bank for way over 20 years or more.  Those bills have had a premium for collectors for at least that long by personal knowledge, although I was more of a coin-guy than a "rag-picker".

:), 'Rat

Occupant No-name

The system...
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 09:42:40 am »

Sad to see that you're having such a hard time of it. In an "information based" society this stuff and related problems are gonna be an ongoing problem. I look it as a choice you have to make about privacy v. being able to live. Pay extra or do without.  :(  

Nedda of the Hill

• Stand
The system...
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 11:27:23 am »

I think I'd just take the extra trouble to pick up the paper check and screw the banks.   <_<  

goingpostal

The system...
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 12:00:48 pm »

Are you sure you're thinking of the same bank?

Yes. Umpqua wasn't bought, THEY bought a bank chain in northern California, which had bought other banks, etc. My nephew worked in the check clearance center for Tehama and then Umpqua.
All banks are basically the same. But maybe some of the smaller local banks are a bit better than the larger ones - they still must comply with federal regulations so no real difference.
postal

dougmt

The system...
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 10:41:12 pm »

Thanks for all the replys folks. Were gonna continue to do the no bank thing... Screw em' :-)
I did think that the "Know your customer thing" was, well, relatively ok but this thing about having to know your ACTUAL place of residence????? why????
D

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
The system...
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2004, 12:35:14 am »

I did think that the "Know your customer thing" was, well, relatively ok but this thing about having to know your ACTUAL place of residence????? why????
D
Because people think 'that the "Know your customer thing" was, well, relatively ok.'
chip
chip chip
chip
chip chip chip
the above is the sound of liberty being chipped away at. The people are the marble. They are handing the chisel to the sculptor.
Did any of that make any sense? The drugs are wearing off.
Must
get
booster toke...
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Desertrat

The system...
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2004, 08:50:13 am »

I started an account at Wells Fargo in Cuero, Texas. I can walk into any Wells Fargo bank anywhere in the US and cash a check.

My VISA card is issued by Bank of America.  I can walk into any Bank of America branch, Anywhere, USA, and pay my VISA balance with a Wells Fargo check.

Life is simple and easy...

'Rat
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up