The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Girl Who Owned A City  (Read 1788 times)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
The Girl Who Owned A City
« on: June 21, 2011, 04:09:44 am »

Recently finished the kids book "The Girl who owned a City".

http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Owned-Young-Adult-Fiction/dp/0822596709/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308646906&sr=8-1

I know this is a kid's book, but I was curious about how the topics of freedom, personal property rights, and earning your way would be "translated" so kids would understand them. I think the book does the job very well.

If you have kids or are an Uncle or Aunts of kids, then get them this book. Since most books are written for the targeted age of the protagonist in books, this book must be targeted for the pre-teens.

Now the thing is, I think that not only should kids read this, it could be a good primer for some adults as well.

Recommendation: Get this book. Have it in your library ready for kids and adults to read.

S.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:16:27 pm by S. Jester »
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

mutti

• Mutti
Re: The Girl Who Owned A City
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 07:45:39 am »

Thanks. I'll add this to our "read along book list". We purchase two copies and I read aloud while milking (the 8 yo follows). Then the second copy goes off to other people we think can benefit while we keep one copy.

Please pass along any other recommendations as I follow your book list intently!
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:55:51 am »

I finished (as well as 10 year old minion).

Her critiques:

In the end progress was not truly made, just shifted onto the shoulders of another.
Is "one person rule" the only effective way?
Are there only two paths after the "end" warrior and warred upon?

“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 12:52:53 pm »

I was reviewing my posts when I came back to this one.

When I finished this book, it was obviously meant to be the first of a "trilogy"? Or perhaps a "series"? The book did end very open ended which is why I thought it was supposed to be a first book.

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein
Pages: [1]   Go Up