The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Maunderings On Leadership  (Read 8443 times)

mantispid

• http://www.mantispid.com
Maunderings On Leadership
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2003, 12:01:23 pm »

So you took a multiple choice quiz -- which I've taken for entertainment purposes several times and came up with wildly differing classifications each time, depending on my mood at the moment -- and gotten your alpha code. NT, NF, TJ, BS, ASPCA... So what?

Actually, the MBTI and Keirsey tests are extremely accurate, and have a lot of data to back them up.  They're probably the most proven of the psychological temperament tests in existence.

However, simply because you score a certain way doesn't mean you are 'locked' into that type for eternity.  The test just shows how you are at the point you took it (though core temperament can't be changed short of brain damage).  If you're an NT, you WILL be weak on logistics.  However, that doesn't mean you can't learn to be a master of supply lines.  It just means you don't typically *like* to do such things, so you never build up a logistical skillset.  Your temperament influences what you like and don't like to do.  As such, you get better at things you like, and do poorly at things you don't.

The MBTI/Keirsey tests are mainly to help a person recognize their strengths and weaknesses, and how to best deal with them.  

So no.. Never be complacent with your score... use it as a bit of useful roadmap information, and go from there.  I've intentionally built up my extroversion, and am currently working on building up my logistical skills.  And, it's working amazingly well I might add.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 12:03:34 pm by mantispid »
"The root of all corruption is the willingness to violate the peaceful free will of others." -mantispid

Mantispid's weblog, "The Free Mind".

Elias Alias

• Administrator
  • TMM
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2003, 12:21:58 pm »

Ben Irvin at his best...
:) Ben may not be a diplomat, but he does get things done while others are still wondering what to do.
I agree, Claire; and I agree, Hunter;

Ben (and Mike Fellows) did a great job in organizing the GWC this year. It was a great event, and I'm hoping to be helpful for him in a Bozeman GWC this coming April. As Hunter pointed out, anyone, even Ben, can be short-sighted enough to overlook the obvious, and I agree with Hunter that the online community should be embraced as well as the "real-time" participants. It takes more than one "leader" to get anything done, as that error in Ben's thinking shows. What I do think is that Ben does things. I'm not trying to make Ben a "leader", but it would seem today that anyone who actually "does" things is by that virtue already a leader. I think that if Ben decided to pitch another GWC, he'll pull it off in grand style. I'll sure participate.

Hmmm.....guess I better find out what the purpose of another GWC is, lol!

Elias
"Heirs to self-knowledge shed gently their fears..."

Sunni

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2003, 12:43:18 pm »

Scarmig, LOL!!! And thank you for the donation to FMN, and for all your other work for freedom. I especially like the age-inappropriate toys bit; we do that with our kids too -- but both age and gender appropriateness are cheerfully ignored. Too bad I don't have any pix of my son in my old pink satin nightgown ...  :o

Sunni

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2003, 12:47:29 pm »

I second Mantis' recommendation to read Please Understand Me II, and I wager at least one other person on the boards would as well. It's very helpful at thinking about what one's score means, how to relate to others, and perhaps most importantly, to see patterns and relations among the various groups (especially if one is a borderline type).

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2003, 12:47:30 pm »

And I made a pledge to break one stupid law a day, ... If only I could get my beer/wine production up over 50 gallons a year...
If only there were 280 million more of you, Scarmig!
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Augustwest

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2003, 12:57:43 pm »

If only there were 280 million more of you, Scarmig!

We'd be swimmin' in grape and ale, for sure.  :D

Carl speaks an uncomfortable truth. While I too make a point of breaking dumb laws, supporting smokeless powder and component manufacturers, bartering when I can, etc., there's plenty more I should do...
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2003, 01:16:04 pm »

280 million?  Of me!!??

Could some of me be female?  That way we'd get the chance to sleep our way to the,  top...  of....   me.     Waitaminute...
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2003, 02:00:53 pm »

280 million?  Of me!!??

Could some of me be female?  That way we'd get the chance to sleep our way to the,  top...  of....   me.     Waitaminute...

:) Well, come to think of it, Scarmig, I don't know you. Just how scary a thought IS 280 million of you? And would you be willing to sleep with you, if you were you? ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2003, 02:02:47 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Sunni

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2003, 04:30:44 pm »

:blink:

This thread is getting too Agent Smith-like for me ...

:ph34r:  

Hunter

• Hunter at TPoL
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2003, 04:56:00 pm »

Aww, that's all right. Plenty of "neo's" around with big egos to explode 'em.
from an undisclosed secure location far, far outside Ohio

Hunter's Seventieth Rule: The Internet needs a "three strikes and you're out" rule. Of the gene pool, I mean.

ladylearning

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2003, 10:18:16 pm »

I'm a bad, bad citizen.

Think about how really good you feel inside by doing those things. The things we do or don't do to suit our individual needs and wishes are all steps in the right direction. Its a joyful thing, the reclaiming of ourselves.

Could some of me be female? That way we'd get the chance to sleep our way to the, top... of.... me. Waitaminute...

Would that be a case of the left hand knowing what the right hand is doin...?  :rolleyes:

LL  

Dana

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2003, 12:21:14 am »

Anybody know what the most common temperament types for women are? I'll bet it's a drastic contrast with all the INTJ and similar babes hanging around here.
According to Keirsy, the four scales are distributed as follows in the general population:

[E]xtroversion (75%) vs. ntroversion (25%)
ensation (75%) vs. I[N]tuition (25%)
[T]hinking (50%) vs. [F]eeling (50%)
[J]udging (50%) vs. [P]erceiving (50%)

Keirsy writes: "The T-F dimension is the only pair of preferences which show a sex trend (Myers, 1963)" with roughly 2/3 of men preferring "T" and roughly 2/3 of women preferring "F."

From this I conclude the most common temperament types for women are ESFJ and ESFP, in marked contrast with the local babes.

Dana

Dana

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2003, 12:26:19 am »

I second Mantis' recommendation to read Please Understand Me II, and I wager at least one other person on the boards would as well. It's very helpful at thinking about what one's score means, how to relate to others, and perhaps most importantly, to see patterns and relations among the various groups (especially if one is a borderline type).
I'll put in another strong vote in favor of the book as well.  

I'll also point out (in keeping with the thread) that an entire chapter (chapter 9) is devoted to leadership.

Dana

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2003, 10:15:03 am »

From this I conclude the most common temperament types for women are ESFJ and ESFP, in marked contrast with the local babes.

Thanks for the analysis, Dana. So 75 percent of the population are extraverts, too? Wow. Somehow, knowing that makes me feel even more alone. (Not, of course, than an introvert minds feeling alone.  :D )

Claire

Scarmiglione'

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2003, 11:42:05 am »

280 million?  Of me!!??

Could some of me be female?  That way we'd get the chance to sleep our way to the,  top...  of....   me.     Waitaminute...

:) Well, come to think of it, Scarmig, I don't know you. Just how scary a thought IS 280 million of you? And would you be willing to sleep with you, if you were you? ;)
Well, the introvert in me says that 280 million people is too many, regardless of quality.

But the elitist streak in me says if there must be 280 million people, it couldn't hurt to have them all be me!  MWUHAHAHHAHAHAH
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up