The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I Pull People Over - For Fun!  (Read 1570 times)

Ailin

I Pull People Over - For Fun!
« on: August 26, 2011, 03:43:39 pm »

I guess this isn't technically abuse, but as I was slipping out during a narrow window of time I have available to be away from work for the sole purpose of picking up my sick wife some cold medicine, I take a waste of my time as a sore point. A little anecdote about something that happened to me this morning.

I'm driving up this hill that ends in a perpendicular intersection. That's one that looks like a T for all those who are younger than six or went to public school. At the top of the hill, I slow down and see a police car sitting on the corner. Normally I blow stop signs when there is no opposing traffic. I understand that it's not a good practice, but I always slow down just in case there's opposing traffic or a cop...because I don't want to get hit (or get hit with a ticket.)  As there was a cop sitting on the corner I did in fact stop, lock eyes with the windshield of the patrol car, engage the blinker and count to three. I assumed I was staring at the police officer. If you knew what perpendicular meant than you should have some idea where the story is headed at this point.

I make my turn and drive off. The road is a paved ridge route, so it bends and turns and by the time I got past the second long curve I forgot about the police car. When I see the lights in my rear view mirror I assume (see that word? I do that too much) the officer's responding to a call, so I pull out of the way. No, wait, much to my irritation...I'm not politely pulling out of the way, I'm being pulled over. I speed a lot, could it have been that? My phone's in the back seat so I wasn't playing with that. I pulled out all of my information to make sure it was current, in fear that I had let my insurance or registration lapse without noticing. I don't have any tickets or outstanding warrants for my arrest, so what could have popped up when my plates were run that was worth pulling me over?

When the officer arrived at the window of my car at long last, I'm sure you could predict verbatum what she said to me."Sir, my name is Officer [not so bright] and I pulled you over for running that stop sign back there. You blew through it and didn't even bother to slow down." If I were wearing a hat, and wouldn't get shot for doing it, I'd have thrown it on the ground. Are you serious! Practical joke, right? No, she wasn't laughing. Neither was I. Wrangling in the first words that came to my head; foul, inappropriate, hateful words. Instead I said, "No I did not. I came to a full and complete stop. I even counted to three while looking at your car." In the long pause that followed I invisioned the little wood beads in the abicus of her mind flitting back and forth in mad confusion, until they grew exhausted and quit entirely. Whatever did transpire, she asked me for my paperwork and went back to her patrol vehicle.

I take the next ten minutes to catch up on my mindless phone application games. I'm now level 9 in the Android App 'My Country!' Hooray! Oh wait, she's back.

"Sir, do you have a Cali driver's license?" the police officer asks me.
"I did, when I lived in CaliFORNIA." I told her, not sure what this had to do with my 'running a stop sign.'
"How are you maintaining two state driver's licenses?"
What? The situation was getting bizarre, I was struggling not to shout that my old California license had nothing to do with me being unlawfully detained. Still, I was in uniform and the last thing I need is to get slammed onto the hood of my car and dragged off kicking and screaming. I continue to be polite. "No idea officer. They took and shredded my old one when I got this one in Kansas."
"You mean they clipped the corner?"
"I mean I left it there, I didn't need it anymore." I watch her frown, and look at my license like it would hold the answers.
"At the license place, the one on...uhm" Here she flounders for a bit. It's maddening.
"Delaware." I interrupted here. I didn't want to seem like I was being a smart ass to the cop, but it needed to stop.
"Right, so you don't-"
"No, I don't have anything to do with California anymore." Again, I cut her off and skirt the edge of rude category, but I wanted her to make her point.
"Okay. Here's your" she hands them to me one at a time, "registration, insurance and license. Drive safely."

...that's it? Yep, she walked away. My guess is she was asleep, or fiddling on her phone (maybe she's level 14 in 'My Country?') and only looked up as I was accelerating out of the turn. I wasn't going to press the issue.

As an MP this makes me look bad. I only wonder how many others she's hassled. Unless there was a dash cam in her vehicle, she could have written that ticket to cover her ass and it would have been my word against hers. Just makes you want to break something. I realize I have to make people's lives suck as part of my job, but at least I'm aware of what is actually going on when I do it.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: I Pull People Over - For Fun!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:02:26 pm »

Can you just IMAGINE how much fun it would be to drive in Washington DC right about now?

Payback is going to be such a bitch... even for just the stupid cows like this. sigh
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Ailin

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:13:38 pm »

I'm most concerned with making sure I'm not the anonymous recipient of 'payback' until my contract is up and I can get out.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 04:17:44 pm »

I'm most concerned with making sure I'm not the anonymous recipient of 'payback' until my contract is up and I can get out.

I hope that's soon! This freight train isn't going to wait for anything, I'm afraid. :(
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Ailin

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 04:27:16 pm »

Yeah, I hope it's soon too. It really depends on what kind of work I can find in the next year.
Pages: [1]   Go Up