The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening knives  (Read 13001 times)

casca-503

Re: Sharpening knives
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2011, 07:26:35 am »

in a different ...distant galaxy....a very long time  ago.../....no, really...   during  WW-11.....razor blades   were  sharpened   by  rotating them  flat  edge  against  inside  a  drinking  glass...or  on bottom     outside   of a ceramic    coffee  mug...with  great  caution...

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2011, 07:32:04 am »

Can also use the top of a car widow, but a razor blade you'd probably be better off using a pair of jeans.

Just strop them on the pant leg.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

http://tthelastcause.blogspot.com/

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2011, 07:34:25 am »

Can also use the top of a car widow, but a razor blade you'd probably be better off using a pair of jeans.

Hmmmm, probably not with the leg still in them... But I don't see how that can sharpen anything, padre.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 03:12:26 pm »

Hmmmm, probably not with the leg still in them... But I don't see how that can sharpen anything, padre.

The wire is what is causing the edge to be dull MML, next time you have a dull knife, if you look at the edge with a magnifying glass, you will see -----_______------ on the edge.

The ----- is fine bit of metal that has worn loose from the edge, if you remove that via rubbing it on a semi abrasive surface, your blade will be sharp again.

Assuming of course, you have not chipped the edge, to get the knife to cut again you have to remove metal until there is one long, straight, line along the edge.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 03:16:15 pm »

Just ordered a whole set of various sized, shaped diamond files. About $10. Ought to give me something to experiment on, for sure. I have all kinds of tough leather too... May make myself a "strop." I think I'll skip honing on the pants leg. LOL

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2011, 11:41:14 pm »

Just ordered a whole set of various sized, shaped diamond files. About $10. Ought to give me something to experiment on, for sure. I have all kinds of tough leather too... May make myself a "strop." I think I'll skip honing on the pants leg. LOL

Where is your sense of adventure?

:laugh:

Works on disposible razors as well.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

kirgi07

• Moderator Group
  • Acting as a Curmudgeon unless otherwise specified.
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2011, 11:56:58 pm »

Heavy cardboard works as well. Ought 7.
If you look like food you will be EATEN.

I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 12:04:48 pm »

Would any of you recommend sharpening razor blades?  I go through a couple a month with my box cutter and I do have a pack of extra blades but if TSHTF and Home Depot goes away...

If Home Depot, etc. goes away... how long will you have boxes to cut? Just kidding. I know how useful the cutters are. I have one - a "utility knife" that has blades much heavier than "razor blades" and never thought about sharpening them. They seem to stay sharp a long time, but I don't use it a lot, really. Must get another box of those blades for sure! I suppose you could sharpen them if you used a small C clamp to hold them.  A fine stone would probably work best, wouldn't it? I'll add that to my experimentation.

I use my nail-file shaped diamond hone to dress my utility knife blades until they are Obviously shape changed. [from the original shape]
Then they get the very fine file and we start over. CAREFUL though in most of those utility knives the blade is held in place by its shape filling the blade holder. Too narrow of a blade and they will be loose and Dangerous to use.  NOT recommended.

The edge of the sink in my bathroom is very rounded in profile [I just knew you were all wondering  :rolleyes: ] and I drag the edge of my disposable blades along it a couple of times when the edge begins to "bite" or "drag". It cleans it up enough to finish the shave and I can usually get 6 to 10 shaves out of a double blade disposable razor.

{I'm  trying -- not very hard mind you -- to train myself to use the straight razor that I already own because it will last decades.}

Shaving will probably "go-by-the-board"* after TSHTF. For me at least. Vanity is the only reason I still shave as it is.

*Translation from sailor talk:
Go-by-the-board = go overboard to never be seen again.
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Hutch

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2011, 01:53:03 pm »

Very interesting, Hutch. Thanks!  Those guys are pretty much outside my class, however. :)

synchro

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 09:28:24 pm »

My high Carbon Steel butchering setup involved:
Setting a properly angled edge and correcting previous damage with a Lansky
Diamond set.  Touch ups in process with Arkansas stones.  Regular use of the Steel.
I start with Lots of Very Sharp knives.
Dressing or Processing a Large animal will tend to consume whatever you have.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 08:49:35 am »

I got the diamond files. They all seem to be the same "grit," but are different shapes. One is flat, one is a half round, but tapered. One is a triangle, again tapered to a point on the end. Another is a tapered full round, and the last is a three cornered thing that almost looks like a knife itself.  This will be very interesting. :) They are actually a bit smaller than I thought they would be.

The directions for the file in those articles here say to only stroke away from you to avoid clogging the file. Is that rule the same with a diamond or is it a multi-directional file? There are zero instructions with these things.

I'm going to go to the seller's website and see if they have anything. The invoice advertises "sensor cleaning instructions, cleaning digital cameras, and watch repair tool kits! Sounds like some interesting stuff. www.Micro-Tools.com, CleaningDigitalCameras.com  and WatchRepairToolGuide.com

Lots of cool possibilities. :)

I also bought a "Dremel" type rotary tool thing. I should be able to screw up all kinds of things now. LOL

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2011, 04:37:01 pm »

I got the diamond files. They all seem to be the same "grit," but are different shapes. One is flat, one is a half round, but tapered. One is a triangle, again tapered to a point on the end. Another is a tapered full round, and the last is a three cornered thing that almost looks like a knife itself.  This will be very interesting. :) They are actually a bit smaller than I thought they would be.

The directions for the file in those articles here say to only stroke away from you to avoid clogging the file. Is that rule the same with a diamond or is it a multi-directional file? There are zero instructions with these things.
The diamond stones/hones are uni-directional. Pull-Push-Slice whatever your li'l heart desires.
[Angle is important ... maintain a constant angle ...]

A "regular" file is directional because in cross section you are using a series of very small "chisels" to wear away the metal. Drawing the work INTO those chisel shapes would gradually "clog" the cutting edges with metal scrapings.

I'm going to go to the seller's website and see if they have anything. The invoice advertises "sensor cleaning instructions, cleaning digital cameras, and watch repair tool kits! Sounds like some interesting stuff. www.Micro-Tools.com, CleaningDigitalCameras.com  and WatchRepairToolGuide.com

I also bought a "Dremel" type rotary tool thing. I should be able to screw up all kinds of things now. LOL

I love my Dremel tool but it can do good things AND bad things very fast.
It is a tool that truly needs lots of practice to master but once mastered is nearly irreplaceable.

stay safe
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

padre29

• Cavaliere d' Onore
  • Civily Dead
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2011, 02:10:31 pm »

ML, the diamond sharpeners come in different grits to first remove metal, then to hone it, the rougher grit is for an edge that is beat up, once you smooth it out, then you use the softer grits to hone the edge/remove the wire.

A blade works as an extension of force, the edge uses the pressure you provide to force it's way through materials, cloth, muscle, etc, the finer the edge the better it cuts.

But the quicker the edge dulls.
Video in Venitur

Gotblog?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2011, 02:47:16 pm »

The diamond stones/hones are uni-directional. Pull-Push-Slice whatever your li'l heart desires.
[Angle is important ... maintain a constant angle ...]

I've now got a terrific edge on all of my butchering knives and my field knife. That last had seen a lot of abuse since it was used to dig up roots and things on my last wild herb/food trek. I used the diamond and then the steel to hone them. Very pleased with the results so far. Even my oldest pocket knife now has a good edge again. It is a "cheapie" that I use for all sorts of goofy things and it was dull as a stick.  The package says the files are all 180 grit.

A "regular" file is directional because in cross section you are using a series of very small "chisels" to wear away the metal. Drawing the work INTO those chisel shapes would gradually "clog" the cutting edges with metal scrapings.

Got it. And I suspect that's why the few files I own have been pretty useless for a long time. Is there some way to clean them out, or should I dump them and buy new? I've used them to sharpen the shovels and hoes here for a long time.

I love my Dremel tool but it can do good things AND bad things very fast.
It is a tool that truly needs lots of practice to master but once mastered is nearly irreplaceable.

Oh yeah!  Like the difference between a regular lawn mower and my neighbor's "brush hog" mower. That thing could clear cut a virgin forest, I think. Too much machine for this kid.  I plan to set up some pieces of wood I've saved from the woodpile and practice cutting them with the rotary tool. Not sure what else to do with it, but I'm sure I'll think of something. LOL 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:31:02 am by MamaLiberty »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up