The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canning 2012  (Read 14869 times)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
Re: Canning 2012
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2016, 03:58:47 pm »

Couldn't find a current thread -but maybe all the canning stuff should be combined? I tried my hand at canning last fall after getting a full bushel at a local orchard. I made homemade apple sauce -adding cinnamon and a little bit of vanilla extract. Now I have to worry about botulism...  :icon_pale:
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2016, 05:19:56 am »

Couldn't find a current thread -but maybe all the canning stuff should be combined? I tried my hand at canning last fall after getting a full bushel at a local orchard. I made homemade apple sauce -adding cinnamon and a little bit of vanilla extract. Now I have to worry about botulism...  :icon_pale:

Botulism is very serious, but it is also rare. I would imagine you used a regular recipe for your applesauce, with sugar. Between the acid of the apples and the sugar, if you did a good water bath canning process, you should have no worries. I've been eating home canned fruit all my life. Never had a problem.  Open a jar. If it smells good you are safe.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2016, 11:44:59 am »

I thought botulism was unsmellable*? Or am I just looking for general rancidness? Anyway, DH bought me some lovely canning equipment for Christmas and I am eager to try my hand at some preserves with the late spring/summer fruits!

*I like the word!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

Who...me?

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2016, 12:37:20 pm »

With canned good the first step is to make sure can or lid is not swelled from gas buildup within.  Home canned goods lids will be flat or slightly depressed. A swelled lid is an indication that it was not sealed correctly and the nasty has set in.  You should be able to remove the ring after cooling and have the lid still be firmly attached with a popping sound when you pry the lid off indicating a vacuumed.  If not do not eat it.

Of course if you open it and it smells bad. squirts out or foams...

With store bought cans do not buy dented cans especially dents on the rim.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/shelf-stable-food-safety/ct_index

http://www.cdc.gov/features/homecanning/

"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2016, 02:11:34 pm »

With canned good the first step is to make sure can or lid is not swelled from gas buildup within.  Home canned goods lids will be flat or slightly depressed. A swelled lid is an indication that it was not sealed correctly and the nasty has set in.  You should be able to remove the ring after cooling and have the lid still be firmly attached with a popping sound when you pry the lid off indicating a vacuumed.  If not do not eat it.

Pretty good advice, but do NOT remove the rings from home canned goods. They should be slightly loose, but not removed because they protect the seal lid from bumps. My mother in law removed the rings from hers, and she gave me several jars that had lost the seal.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2016, 02:21:07 pm »

I thought botulism was unsmellable*? Or am I just looking for general rancidness? Anyway, DH bought me some lovely canning equipment for Christmas and I am eager to try my hand at some preserves with the late spring/summer fruits!

There should be no question but that the food is spoiled, but a few people manage to ignore it for some reason. The most important thing to do before you do much canning is to thoroughly read the best canning book you can find. I have a tattered old copy of the "Ball Canning" book, and recently bought a new one! I read the directions every single time, and follow the recipes exactly. I actually weigh the fruit/vegetables and the sugar or other ingredients called for. An accurate timer and good, clean canning jars with new seals is also important.

Before you use them, feel the top edge of each jar and discard any that feel rough or have the slightest chip. Look at them with a magnifying glass if you need to. Those jars need to be marked with something permanent if you plan to use them to store dry goods or for refrigerator storage of leftovers, but don't ever use them for canning. I've got a whole box of them, bottoms spray painted RED.

I canned some meat exactly once and didn't like it, so never tried it again. It can be done, and done safely, but you need a pressure canner and you must follow the directions religiously.

Who...me?

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2016, 02:39:11 pm »

Pretty good advice, but do NOT remove the rings from home canned goods. They should be slightly loose, but not removed because they protect the seal lid from bumps. My mother in law removed the rings from hers, and she gave me several jars that had lost the seal.

You are right...I just meant that if you take the ring off the lid will remain tightly sealed...thanks for the clarification.
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2016, 12:09:01 pm »

Anyone have a strawberry jam recipe? And do I really need to use pectin?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2016, 01:19:15 pm »

Anyone have a strawberry jam recipe? And do I really need to use pectin?

No, you don't HAVE to use pectin, but if you don't you can't be sure of the jam not winding up syrup instead. :) It depends on the fruit and how ripe it is.  If you have a "Ball" canning book, you'll find all the information you need there.

Standard recipe with pectin: http://www.freshpreserving.com/recipes/strawberry-jam

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/38410/strawberry-jam/
Strawberry Jam

Recipe by: Katharine
"This is by far the easiest recipe I have found for strawberry jam without using a pectin. The jam is soft, spreadable and delicious."

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2016, 09:35:58 pm »

Thanks, Mama. I think this will be a good recipe (time will tell). Most of the ones I was perusing were for smaller batches and used an incredible amount of sugar. I did add a few shakes of cinnamon (goodness me I love cinnamon and strawberries together!). It took about 3 hours tonight to do five pounds of strawberries. I got to use some canning equipment DH gifted me last Christmas and those supplies were awesome! The stock pot alone could probably handle quadrupling a recipe.

FOR ANYONE:
I was curious about canning my bolognese sauce. Since it has meat (and it's a tomato base) would the jar need to be pressured cooked or could I do a water bath?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2016, 05:40:00 am »

FOR ANYONE:
I was curious about canning my bolognese sauce. Since it has meat (and it's a tomato base) would the jar need to be pressured cooked or could I do a water bath?

Yes, you need a pressure canner for that. Consult the "Ball" canning book for the correct time. :)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2016, 11:46:31 am »

All righty! I tried the jam today (PB&J) and it was yummy! I think next time I will add some more cinnamon ;)

WWalker

« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »

If your thinking of getting into pressure canning I can recommend the all american products as a good choice.  Pricey...so if your not sure how serious you are about pressure canning maybe something cheaper would be a better choice.

I can a fair amount of meat, and like to can green beans from the garden so it has been worthwhile for me.

The canner http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecanner.htm came with a really good instruction manual that covers the procedures of pressure canning and has a number of recipes for pressure canning.

The Ball book covers both.
I renounce the oath I swore to the Constitution of the United States.
I regret any harm that my ignorance may have caused.

"Stop resisting" -- the refrain of rapists, police, and other violent degenerates.
                                                                                              –William N. Grigg

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2016, 06:05:13 pm »

Hi Walker, thanks for the recommendation. I freely admit I'm a wee bit intimidated trying my hand at pressure canning -though I am intrigued. Making the strawberry jam and water bathing that was my 2nd time canning. This Ball book comes up a lot in my discussions and reading/research so guess I'll have to get around to purchasing it sooner rather than later! :)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up