The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.  (Read 21094 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2013, 10:57:21 am »

Trying to psych myself into starting the freezer cleaning. Rummaged through it a bit and discovered a bag full of something labeled, "Mutti bean soup."

Ok... Mutti has sent me some neat stuff, but I don't recall getting anything frozen...

Looked at it a little longer and realized it said "MULTI bean soup" and that it came from a good friend down the road. Her printing with a "sharpie" could use a little improvement, I guess.  The date was actually the real shocker... 10/2009. I am seriously late cleaning out the freezer!!

Don't get old. The memory thing really messes with your head sometimes. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 11:02:47 am »

Or have kids!  :rolleyes:
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 11:05:29 am »

Or have kids!  :rolleyes:

The combination is a real doozie. LOL

Tipitaka

« Reply #48 on: June 17, 2013, 11:29:21 pm »

Really good pickles I made today and yesterday:

Pickled Mustard Leaves
http://park.org/Cdrom/Pavilions/Kimchi/e10106.html

Heath Benefits of Pickled Mustard Leaves
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs12257-007-0127-4#page-1

Do Chua (sweet and sour Vietnamese pickles)
http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/2009/05/daikon-and-carrot-pickle-recipe-do-chua.html

Garlicky Pickled Cucumbers
2 sliced cucumbers
1 tbs salt
1 tbs granulated garlic
a slice or two of fresh ginger
1 tbs rice vinegar

mix together and pack into a jar. in a few hours, there should be enough juice to cover, but if there isn't, add a little distilled water just to cover. Store in the fridge. Keeps until about 5 minutes after they're done fermenting (2 days). I've kept a jar up to a year, and they were still good... but it's a fridge pickle, so keep it there.

Joshyjosh

« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2013, 10:56:45 am »

Hello I am new to the forums, and just wanted to see if you guys could give me some input on this question. Where can you get a good manual meat grinder? Doing some online research Cabela's seems to have the most selection but from all of the reviews on their web site it looks like their manual grinders don't quite cut it (pun intended). What would really be nice is an old meat grinder from before everything was motorized but the chances of finding one that is in good condition, with out a lot of rust and other problems is pretty slim. Your input would be greatly appreciated.
"Show me that age and country where the rights and liberties of the people were placed on the sole chance of their rulers being good men, without a consequent loss of liberty?"
-Patrick Henry-
(Speech on the Federal Constitution, Virginia Ratifying Convention 5th of June 1788)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2013, 11:10:06 am »

Hello I am new to the forums, and just wanted to see if you guys could give me some input on this question. Where can you get a good manual meat grinder? Doing some online research Cabela's seems to have the most selection but from all of the reviews on their web site it looks like their manual grinders don't quite cut it (pun intended). What would really be nice is an old meat grinder from before everything was motorized but the chances of finding one that is in good condition, with out a lot of rust and other problems is pretty slim. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome! You might find a good, old fashioned meat grinder at a yard sale or thrift shop. I've seen several. A little rust is not really a problem. Just scrub it good, sand off the rust, then coat the grinder with lard. Store it that way, and then wash it when you go to use it.

Look here for new ones. http://www.sausagemaker.com/manualmeatgrinders.aspx  They are not cheap, but they will last a lifetime with good care. Buy extra grinding plates and a repair kit, if possible, when you purchase the grinder. Then you'll never need to worry about it again.

Joshyjosh

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2013, 11:24:47 am »

Thanks! Those do look better than Cabela's.
"Show me that age and country where the rights and liberties of the people were placed on the sole chance of their rulers being good men, without a consequent loss of liberty?"
-Patrick Henry-
(Speech on the Federal Constitution, Virginia Ratifying Convention 5th of June 1788)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2013, 11:54:47 am »

Thanks! Those do look better than Cabela's.

You are most welcome. That was just the first hit in the search. Do a search for "manual meat grinders" and you'll probably find others. Cabelas is a very nice store. I like to go in and look sometimes when I get to the city once or twice a year. I don't buy anything there because it's all badly overpriced. When I need something I look in the local thrift stores, gun shows, the hardware store and even the general mercantile here first, then on line. :)  If you get stuff at Amazon.com ( http://www.amazon.com/?tag=clairewolfeco-20 ) use this link and Claire Wolfe will get a few pennies commission for the sale on most things.  Don't know who Claire Wolfe might be? Just ask, and we'll be glad to fill you in. 

gunslinger598

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »

That looks like a good site. I have it saved .... Thanks

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2013, 01:28:07 pm »

Lehman's is a great site for non-electric gizmos.

https://www.lehmans.com/

Here are the search results for "meat grinder."

http://non-electric.lehmans.com/search#w=meat%20grinder
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:29:44 pm by Klapton »
"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2013, 03:28:59 pm »

Second Lehman's, amother thing to consider is the local weed and feed stores in rural america.  Making a random purchase on a retreat hunting trip, as a thought.  Rural Estate sales too, a lot of oldsters are retiring from life and all sorts of stuff turns up.  I understand the visitors log from hitler's retreat showed up...... :rolleyes: :laugh:
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

gunslinger598

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2013, 04:28:28 pm »

Every Sept. there is an Amish  school  auction about 65 miles from here. They always seem to have stuff  that folks like us will put to good use. It's a huge sale with anywhere from 10,000 to 15,000 people attending. Often they  will have 6  sale rings going at the same time.

The problem is stuff  gets really  priced out  of reach because folks wanna take this stuff home & put it on a shelf for a decoration. I saw a quilt sell there for $6,000.00.

I still try to make it over there every year. Once in a while if  everything is just right a person can find what they need at a price they can afford to pay.

The Amish  ladies have a tent where they  sell home made foods from. It's usually  completely  sold out  by about 2 pm.

There is a craft fair combined where ya can find about anything for cooking or  using in the house. One guy makes &  sells everything ya need for cooking outside in the old timey ways. Another guy makes brooms.

It makes for great entertainment  for a day  even if ya don't  buy  much.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2013, 12:35:30 pm »

The problem is stuff  gets really  priced out  of reach because folks wanna take this stuff home & put it on a shelf for a decoration.

This happens here in SouTex as well.

I try to console myself with the thought that these items MAY [crosses fingers] wind up in the local Goodwill when the fad for "antiques" moves to another era or technology.

sigh
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:46 am »

There are some vaccum containers on lulu that looked interesting, but they haven't gone on sale yet.  Picture something like a cross between Tupperware and those Snapware containers that vaccum pack themselves.   Yopu can also use the "main lid" to pump down other lids as well......
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Joshyjosh

« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2013, 09:51:36 am »

Got a electric 1/2 HP meat grinder but I am still looking for a good manual meat grinder (for a back up).  I am however looking for some good sausage recipes I did a search and just scanned threw some of the posts but did not see any new topics about making sausages. I can't post any new threads yet so I wanted to get your guys input threw this thread. A favorite cook book of mine Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman and Brian Polcyn which is a very good book for all things cured. I'm most excited to try my hand at Tuscan Salami, in a prolonged WTSHTF sausage that is dry cured might be helpful for the advantage of not needing any refrigeration or smoking. Except for the higher risk for food borne illness, trichinosis would be a big one in pigs and bears. Also some fun information that maybe has been posted before spinach has natural nitrites that can help in curing process. Hope to hear some of your guys recipes!
-Patrick Henry-
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up