The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.  (Read 21089 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2013, 11:35:29 am »

I am however looking for some good sausage recipes I did a search and just scanned threw some of the posts but did not see any new topics about making sausages. I can't post any new threads yet so I wanted to get your guys input threw this thread.

See the new thread on Sausage! :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2013, 09:31:13 am »

Joshy, is there an exposed drive shaft on that grinder?   If so there may be a keyway/ notch in that shaft, if there is The gringer catalogue probably has a pulley and key spline to fit that.  Now all you do is drill a hole out near/in the rim of the pulley and buy a long bolt and nuts to fit that hole, you now have your crank.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Joshyjosh

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 07:32:40 pm »

That might be something to look into, but I bought it with a warranty so probably would only do it if I had to.
"Show me that age and country where the rights and liberties of the people were placed on the sole chance of their rulers being good men, without a consequent loss of liberty?"
-Patrick Henry-
(Speech on the Federal Constitution, Virginia Ratifying Convention 5th of June 1788)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2013, 04:10:13 pm »

Has anyone used a coffee grinder to make powder from oats or brown rice (short grain)? [I'd like to make my own baby cereal.]

Anyone have experience freezing cow or goat's milk? If so, tips?
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Lonewolf72

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2013, 04:20:00 pm »

No experience using a coffee grinder, but my sister had a baby food mill from Lehman's.https://www.lehmans.com/p-4237-baby-food-mill.aspx It worked great.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2013, 04:43:34 pm »

Has anyone used a coffee grinder to make powder from oats or brown rice (short grain)? [I'd like to make my own baby cereal.]

Anyone have experience freezing cow or goat's milk? If so, tips?

You'll go through a lot of grinders if you try to grind the uncooked grains. Get a proper grain mill for that. But I made my own baby cereal... just cook the stuff, and then use the blender. :) My children got a little of whatever I made for the family - for the most part - from the time they started eating solid food.  I'd be very cautious about introducing brown rice myself. Not sure just how fine you're going to get the bran regardless of how you grind it. Might want to wait until the baby is at least a year old. The oats, however, will work just fine. You might want to mill them some before you cook them. Otherwise, it takes a while. Tough little stinkers. :)

As for freezing milk, it's as easy as freezing anything else. I found it best to freeze in small amounts, myself. Large jars do not freeze uniformly, and it takes a long time for them to thaw. What did you plan to use the frozen milk for? Might make a difference.

LaughingBear

« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2013, 05:45:46 pm »

I use a food processor to "grind" rolled oats.  I use them in a veggie burger mix I make.  I know this doesn't directly answer your question but just wanted to share my method.
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are."

H. L. Menken

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2013, 03:13:09 pm »

LW - Thanks! I'm checking out all the reviews on Amazon.

ML - Brown rice cereal was the first food for the twins and as far as I know, there was not an issue. This time around, I'm thinking about making bananas, avocado and sweet potatoes (spaced out, of course) Little Man's first foods. Then I would introduce the cereals, oats being first.

LB - I have a heavy-duty Cuisinart food processor and was trying to avoid dragging it out when I just need to grind some oats. I have also wondered about just purchasing organic oat and rice "flour" from Bob's Red Mill as that would give me what I need without having to grind.

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2013, 03:19:10 pm »

I have also wondered about just purchasing organic oat and rice "flour" from Bob's Red Mill as that would give me what I need without having to grind.

Good heavens, yes! :)  And it's interesting to hear about the brown rice.  Good deal, since the bran has so many extraordinary nutrients.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2013, 01:19:28 pm »

I have enough to do these days so it seems like buying the powder/"flour" is the way for me to go.  :thumbsup:

Oh, and I think I finally figured out the best way to cook rice on my gas stove top!

Tipitaka

« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2013, 03:25:42 pm »

I have enough to do these days so it seems like buying the powder/"flour" is the way for me to go.  :thumbsup:

Oh, and I think I finally figured out the best way to cook rice on my gas stove top!

Have you ever had bamboo rice? You use the thick piece of bamboo and put in the rice and water and plug the hole with clean cloth or a wood stopper. Then put it on the coals of a campfire and wait 25 minutes.The bamboo adds a nice flavor and the rice is steamed without burning.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2013, 01:20:03 pm »

Have you ever had bamboo rice? You use the thick piece of bamboo and put in the rice and water and plug the hole with clean cloth or a wood stopper. Then put it on the coals of a campfire and wait 25 minutes.The bamboo adds a nice flavor and the rice is steamed without burning.

I have not had bamboo rice - it sounds quite yummy. And a lot of work. So if you're ever in my neck of the woods, I'd let you make me some!  :thrbiggrin:

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2013, 01:21:19 pm »

Anyone have some recipes involving oatmeal? I have a fantastic cookie recipe so I'm not in need of that. Maybe a cake or bars or something along those lines?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2013, 02:32:02 pm »

Anyone have some recipes involving oatmeal? I have a fantastic cookie recipe so I'm not in need of that. Maybe a cake or bars or something along those lines?

As a Scotswoman, I've used oats all my life. Most of my ancestors used "cut" oats, but I much prefer the rolled ones. Don't try to use the cut oats in a recipe that calls for rolled oats. The cut sort take a lot longer to cook.

I make yeast bread with oats often, my favorite recipe. I'll send that in email if you want it.

Here is my best scone recipe. It's a bit of a cross between a cookie and a biscuit. They've been favorites in my family for centuries. :)

Original recipe makes 16 scones

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups rolled oats

1/4 cup white sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup dried currants optional (or raisins)

1 egg, beaten

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/3 cup milk

(Some whipped cream and fruit compote or any jam are very nice toppings.)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
    In a large bowl, mix the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, salt, and currants. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl, beat egg until frothy, and stir in melted butter and milk. Pour into the well, and mix to create a soft dough. Pat dough into two 1/2 inch thick circles. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Score 8 wedges into each circle of dough.
    Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until risen and browned. Split wedges, and serve warm.

If you are in a hurry, or don't want to bake it all at once, dough can be frozen to bake later. You can also make a roll and cut "coins" to bake like cookies or biscuits later.  Just allow to thaw JUST until you can cut it. Place on a greased baking sheet and allow to finish thawing until it starts to rise. Then bake in hot oven for ten or fifteen minutes, depending on how small the pieces are.

Tipitaka

« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2013, 11:23:10 pm »

I have a recipe for oat bread. Grind the oats in a grain mill on the finest setting, and use 15 to 20% oat flour with the rest wheat and/or barley flour. Should make a soft and slightly denser loaf than a regular country white bread recipe. Use your favorite recipe with this modification.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up