The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.  (Read 25318 times)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.
« on: December 16, 2011, 02:55:43 pm »

I have wondered about many things, but didn't want to start a thread each time. So whenever I have a question or other thoughts, I'll post here. Please add your experiences, too!

I needed a new rolling pin so I decided to purchase a French rolling pin (like this: http://www.amazon.com/Ateco-French-Rolling-Pin/dp/B000KESQ1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324068716&sr=8-1). I look forward to trying a new gadget next week when I make some sugar cookie cut-outs with the kiddos. (Santa will need some cookies ;))

QUESTION: Does anyone have experience freezing cream cheese? [http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2011/02/can-you-freeze-cream-cheese/]
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

mutti

• Mutti
Re: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 03:43:15 pm »

QUESTION: Does anyone have experience freezing cream cheese?

I freeze it frequently along with Fromage Blanc, Chevre, Ricotta, and Mozzarella.

If I purchase the Cream Cheese - I leave it in the packaging - marking last date it should be used (for us 1 year).

If I make cheese, I seal a meal it and freeze it up to one year. Unless it is Mozzarella which I butcher paper and then seal a meal for up to one year.

(TMM General Cheesemaking Stuff)

Also - if you want nice even cookies - either place 1/4" thick rubber bands at either side of your rolling pin. This prevents you from making the dough too thin. Or find a nice woodworker who will make you a frame for around where you roll out that is the thickness of the cookies you are making.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:45:30 pm by mutti »
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 03:06:23 pm »

Thanks, MUTTI! I will freeze the cream cheese then :)

BTW, am I imagining this or did you mention that your groom makes drop biscuits? I've tried Mama Liberty's recipe a few times with success and would like to try another member's as well.

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 03:36:18 pm »

ND drops them. I'm sure he'll be by shortly  ^_^. I'm a "rolled biscuit" snob (not really), but fun to think we've been together almost 18 years and somethings never change!
“Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.”  Jefferson

"The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract." Heinlein

amagi

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:58:58 pm »

My sweetie is pestering me to come up with a device I REALLY need.  I can't think of one. I have a really good mixer, small kitchen tools.  Blender. Any suggestions?  Specialized cheese making tools?  Maybe a potato masher, but that doesn't really say I Love You like something with a motor.
"I also find myself on fairly firm ground identifying good and evil without resorting to my opinion of God's opinion"
LJer Tigertoy

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:09:58 pm »

AMAGI - This isn't a device or gadget per se, however I really like a spreader I picked up from Pampered Chef earlier this year. I probably use it about once a day and I cannot go back to using a regular ol' dinner knife. I'm sure there are similar brands for not a lot of $$:

http://www.amazon.com/Pampered-Chef-All-Purpose-Spreader/dp/B001AO6QSA

There is a William Sonoma outlet near us so I get a few things from them I like as well:

POP-UP SPONGES: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/pop-up-sponge/ (I perfer the regular size for dishwashing)

SPONULA: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/silicone-spatulas-and-spoonula/ (I have them in all sizes)

I picked up this style apple slicer/corer for about $10:

http://www.amazon.com/Calphalon-Easy-Grip-Apple-Slicer/dp/B000SOAT0Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324419509&sr=8-1

Last month I got this spice organizer and so far, I really like it:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17621912
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:20:49 pm by Moonbeam »

mutti

• Mutti
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 04:28:37 pm »

My sweetie is pestering me to come up with a device I REALLY need.  I can't think of one. I have a really good mixer, small kitchen tools.  Blender. Any suggestions?  Specialized cheese making tools?  Maybe a potato masher, but that doesn't really say I Love You like something with a motor.

Food Saver? Wine making kit? Whisper Grain Mill? Sausage stuffer? Plyban for cheesemaking (Hoeggers or Caprine Supply)?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 05:30:15 pm »

I just bought something I've needed for YEARS... a cooking thermometer made especially for milk. I've been fooling around all this time with a candy thermometer, but it is not graduated finely enough and I had to guess. Just made yogurt with the new one this morning and I'm so tickled. It will work fine for cheese as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Rattleware-7-Inch-Easy-Steam-Thermometer/dp/B0016CDFDK/ref=sr_1_8?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1324423639&sr=1-8
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

krosey

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2012, 03:01:17 pm »

I bought a cheap popcorn maker to roast my green coffee beans.  Yum. 

I am looking for long term spices though, does anyone know where I can find them? If you know of a place how do they send them?  Mylar or just in jars or what? 

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 03:10:06 pm »

I bought a cheap popcorn maker to roast my green coffee beans.  Yum. 

I am looking for long term spices though, does anyone know where I can find them? If you know of a place how do they send them?  Mylar or just in jars or what? 

http://www.bulkfoods.com/

Buy in bulk, do long term storage packaging yourself. Saves big bux. :)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:11:19 am »

Has anyone ever made unleavened bread? Experience? Recipe?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:46:13 am »

Has anyone ever made unleavened bread? Experience? Recipe?

Yes, tortillas for the most common. I've had other, but can't say I care much for it. :) I'm not sure if the AmerInd "frybread" is leavened or not.

The most interesting one I tasted was made from regular flour and cattail pollen. Strong flavored and very chewy, but ok if you didn't have anything else. Don't have a recipe, but I can find one. :)

Zookeeper

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 04:52:17 pm »

I have a recipe for Pumpkin Fry bread if you want it . It uses self rising flour in the recipe.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 05:05:23 pm »

I have a recipe for Pumpkin Fry bread if you want it . It uses self rising flour in the recipe.

That would be great in a regular recipe section. This question was about unleavened bread, however.

I'm partial to pumpkin anything! :)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 09:42:17 pm »

Just curious about a recipe for a loaf of unleavened bread...

Anyone have experience with freezing cooked potatoes such as mashed or home/southern-style potatoes? I'd like to freeze already cooked meats and I was wondering about freezing cooked potatoes as well.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up