The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.  (Read 25268 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 06:40:55 am »

Just curious about a recipe for a loaf of unleavened bread...

Anyone have experience with freezing cooked potatoes such as mashed or home/southern-style potatoes? I'd like to freeze already cooked meats and I was wondering about freezing cooked potatoes as well.

You can certainly freeze them, but I've never found them to taste very good afterwards. They are mushy and lose the nice texture of fresh potatoes.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:39:44 am »

Hey does anyone know an easy and efficient way to skin an avocado?
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.¬  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.¬  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 09:13:38 am »

Cut in half and pull off the seed, use a spoon to scoop out the fruit. Works best if the avocado is just ripe. Too green or too ripe and it gets messy.

Rarick

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 09:16:21 am »

I was hoping for something better than that one..........it ends up kind of messy using my hands.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.¬  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.¬  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 09:23:22 am »

I was hoping for something better than that one..........it ends up kind of messy using my hands.........

Hmmm, well, some good things are just like that. LOL  You could always use your feet... but I'm not sure you'd want to eat it then. :)

The real trick is to have them "just right" ripe. Too green and they are hard and the skin clings to the pulp. Too ripe and they squish.

Why is a little mess a problem? :)

Rarick

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2012, 09:28:08 am »

100 avocados x 1 little mess each=  Kitchen armageddon..........   I was just thinking of when the green coated pits of doom ripen again this year and remembered a question I forgot to ask......   Life is messy- you are born a mess and you leave a mess when you go out, I realize this.  I just try to make an efficient mess when possible...........

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2012, 09:41:38 am »

100 avocados x 1 little mess each=  Kitchen armageddon..........   I was just thinking of when the green coated pits of doom ripen again this year and remembered a question I forgot to ask......   Life is messy- you are born a mess and you leave a mess when you go out, I realize this.  I just try to make an efficient mess when possible...........

I see... 100 avocados would certainly present more of a mess than one. I've never cut more than two or three at a time in my life. You could recruit some teens to help you process them... but that might well result in a far larger mess. I'm fresh out of ideas. :)

What do you do with all those avocados at once? Can they be frozen?

Rarick

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2012, 10:03:48 am »

Guacamole, then freeze, that that doesn't go into "The Final Grocery Bag" for processing............

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2012, 10:08:12 am »

Guacamole, then freeze, that that doesn't go into "The Final Grocery Bag" for processing............

That's good. I never made "guacamole" because I don't like it. Just figured avocados could not be frozen at all. They sure are ruined if they freeze on the trees. :)

Rarick

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2012, 10:13:31 am »

They get real mushy, but that is what guacamole is supposed to be.............I think of it as green orange juice. A freeze while the fruit is ripening is a disaster, but frozen preserves of one sort or another can be a good thing.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2012, 10:30:13 am »

They get real mushy, but that is what guacamole is supposed to be.............I think of it as green orange juice. A freeze while the fruit is ripening is a disaster, but frozen preserves of one sort or another can be a good thing.

Indeed... but some things simply don't lend themselves to being good to eat after freezing. Potatoes come to mind.

Anyway, I wondered if you'd have a little less mess on your hands if you cut the thing in half, scooped out the seed with a spoon, then placed the fruit cut side down on a very coarse sieve and pressed the pulp out that way. I have always used the avocado sliced, but if your goal is to mash it anyway, that might kill two birds with one stone.

Rarick

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 08:22:37 am »

<face Palm>   why didn't I think of that?   I already get the pits out by the "Chop into it with a knife and twist" method. Kind of like lifting/ moving wood with an axe by puttting a "Biteing chop" into it..........  But now if it can use a seive/ screen with the right "Gauge" of open to closed............

Oh yes, BEWARE THE MANDOLIN SLICER!  I have about 1/8 inch still healing on a couple of finger tips, heck I may even have different fingerprints when they finish healing?  It works gret for veggies, but things like meat and cheese where you have to use a relatively large amount of force are better cut by a knife............

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 08:39:33 am »

Let us know how that works out for you. :) My mother used to call that "creative laziness." Never do things the hard way.

Jebur27

• Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 08:30:28 pm »

Cut in quarters and the skin of an avocado will usually (most of the time) pull right off.
There is only one thing that remains to us, that cannot be taken away: To act with courage and dignity and to stick to the ideals that have given meaning to life.
-Jawaharlal Nehru

There's no joke we can tell about the fedgov that they can't turn into an even more absurd truth about themselves.
-Claire Wolfe

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest". -- Denis Diderot

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2012, 10:53:48 pm »

Just want to give an update from my first post: I absolutely L-O-V-E my French rolling pin and highly recommend owning one. I cannot go back to the handled-style pin. And I would like to get the French-style in some different sizes too.

I also pIcked up a pastry mat. I just dampened the bottom and it held firm just fine on our dining table for rolling out the cookie dough.

http://www.amazon.com/Conimar-Kitchen-24-Inch-Helper-Non-Slip/dp/B002OOVB12/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1332993435&sr=1-1

ML - Did you find the recipe for the unleavened bread?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:01:53 pm by Moonbeam »
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up