The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.  (Read 25290 times)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
Re: General Kitchen: food, storage, recipes, questions, tips, etc.
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2014, 11:34:59 am »

I have been on the hunt FOR YEARS to find a good yellow or white cake recipe.  :BangHead:

Anyone have one?
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2014, 02:10:55 pm »

I have been on the hunt FOR YEARS to find a good yellow or white cake recipe.  :BangHead:

Anyone have one?

You bet!

My favorite: Betty Crocker yellow cake mix. Ok, I don't really care much. LOL

Second favorite is from an old community collection cookbook:

2 cups half and half
2 cups sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs
3 cups white flour
(1 tsp vanilla flavoring optional)

Blend in mixer until smooth and pour into large sheet cake pan. Bake at 350o for 25 - 30 minutes, until tooth pick comes out of center clean.  One half of this recipe fills an 8 inch square pan.

This recipe also makes marvelous "shortcake" cups for strawberries or other fruit. Bake 1/4 cup batter in a greased ceramic ramekin or desert dish. Reduce baking time. 
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2014, 11:05:39 am »

Oh great! I'll let you know when I try it. It will be awhile as I'm pretty caked-out right now!

I have a great chocolate recipe and I've tried it without the cocoa, but it's not the same. I'm thinking that the cocoa alkalizes or something to make it so fluffly and moist that removing it and not increasing the baking powder and/or soda leaves it lacking...

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2016, 03:00:55 pm »

I really want to invest money/care into some cast iron cookware. However, I am a smidgeon intimidated thanks to some carelessness on my part about 20+ years ago. What are some good brands? Some of the cookware already comes "seasoned;" what exactly does that mean and should a novice go that route? Otherwise, how can I properly season and care for the equipment? And what would be a good first piece (skillet, pot, bakeware)? TIA!

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2016, 03:47:08 pm »

I really want to invest money/care into some cast iron cookware. However, I am a smidgeon intimidated thanks to some carelessness on my part about 20+ years ago. What are some good brands? Some of the cookware already comes "seasoned;" what exactly does that mean and should a novice go that route? Otherwise, how can I properly season and care for the equipment? And what would be a good first piece (skillet, pot, bakeware)? TIA!

There is very little advantage to cast iron for most cooking uses, and some real disadvantages. Most men do NOT need extra iron in their diet, and excessive use of cast iron is a large source of iron poisoning in men. Also post menopause women. The only way the body can actually get rid of iron is to bleed... 

Even with proper "seasoning," the iron bleeds into the food. You don't want much of that. It is important not to cook wet food, especially none with any acid, because that dissolves the "seasoning" and sets up rusting immediately. This bleeds large amounts of iron, besides making the food taste rusty. Plain iron or cast iron pans for baking are the same.

I have a deep cast iron "chicken fryer" that came down from my grandmother. I seldom use it these days because I oven "fry" chicken.
I have a small cast iron skillet that I use to brown/sear beef, mostly, or single breasts of chicken for that smoky flavor once in a while.
A flat, round cast iron pan is perfect to heat tortillas and make a grilled cheese sandwich.
My 12 quart cast iron "Dutch Oven" used to see a lot of use in camp. Have not used it in years now.

Why do you want cast iron? It is seriously over rated, and very difficult to maintain. Glass or stainless steel is far, far superior in both flavor and health.

Tahn L.

• Neither Predator Nor Prey
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2016, 03:47:54 pm »

Lodge is the modern mfg. that is the best although some older stuff such as Griswold is excellent if you can find it (thinner walls and smoother) , although it is no longer being made. Old grunge can be cleaned up in a hot campfire although cracks will ruin it. Cast iron is strong but brittle and can crack or break.

http://www.lodgemfg.com/     Lots of info on this site.

I like pre-seasoned although you should know how to season a piece if it gets polluted with soap, which is a NO-NO with cast iron.

The neatest starter piece that I often give for a wedding gift is a "combo" pan. It can be used as a pot, skillet, roaster, popcorn popper, whatever.

https://www.lodgemfg.com/deep-skillets/3-quart-cast-iron-combo-cooker.asp

A lot of people are switching to enameled since it can be cleaned with soap and water.

I like camp ovens for baking. They have a rim around the edge of the lid to keep coals on. The shallow ones are for baking and the deeper ones are for roasts.

If you find antique cast iron, there are different types for different eras of cooking, from a "spider" (campfire)  to  a "smoke ring" (wood burning cook stoves).
All human beings have two dogs within them. A good dog and an evil dog. The evil dog is always attacking and fighting the good dog. Which one wins?
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

Government is a meme, woven within a supporting memeplex.

Who ever frames the argument, kicks ass.

From MamaLiberty; "The Price of Liberty (is) self ownership, self control, integrity and non-aggression."

"The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil". MamaLiberty

Tahn L.

« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2016, 03:54:45 pm »

Why do you want cast iron? It is seriously over rated, and very difficult to maintain. Glass or stainless steel is far, far superior in both flavor and health.

Cast iron can be more difficult or easier, depending on how you use it. I have a round griddle with a handle that has not been washed in soap in years, just an occasional hot water scrub. Many newer stainless pots and pans have a high nickel content and are also risky health wise. Enamel is a great way to go. With cast iron, it is heavier but heats more evenly.
All human beings have two dogs within them. A good dog and an evil dog. The evil dog is always attacking and fighting the good dog. Which one wins?
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

From MamaLiberty; "The Price of Liberty (is) self ownership, self control, integrity and non-aggression."

"The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil". MamaLiberty

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2016, 04:27:10 pm »

I'm ignorant about cast iron cookware so I was not aware of iron leeching into the food. Any commentary, any review I read, any person who speaks about it loves their cast iron. I was looking into using it for health reasons. That is, I don't want the chemicals from non-stick cookware leeching into the food.

TAHN - I will take a closer look at enamel, thanks!

Klapton Isgod

• Long-Haired, Over-Fed, Leaping Gnome
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2016, 05:03:31 pm »

The ceramic coated cast iron dutch ovens are GREAT.  Excellent for "low and slow" braising especially.  Also good for stove top frying, because the mass of the iron holds lots of heat.  That means the heat of the oil bounces back quicker when you add the cooler food.

"I got things under control, that's why people call me an extremist.  I'm autonomous.  I understand that I declare my independence every day."  Ted Nugent

"It is the conservative laissez- fairist, the man who puts all the guns and all the decision-making power into the hands of the central government and then says, 'Limit yourself'; it is he who is truly the impractical utopian."  Murray Rothbard

Tahn L.

« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2016, 05:13:06 pm »

I would most certainly prefer a little extra iron in my system than some cancer causing chemical made by DuPont. With regular use, I don't know if iron actually leaches into the food using a good oil coating on the cast iron.  Would be interested in any research you find.   
The one you feed!
  Native American Story

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2016, 03:40:36 am »

Iron is a nutrient for the body, I am sure it knows how to handle any trace iron far better than trace non-stick gunk...

It was pretty amazing 20 years ago I was fat, sick and too tired to cook from scratch.  Then it occurred to me that the easy food and maybe the trace stuff in it was what was at the root of my problems.  Now I do not eat unless I am hungry enough to actually cook.  No pre-prepared stuff.  My weight dropped, my energy levels came up, a lot of the conditions I was in and out of the doctor for disappeared too.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2016, 05:03:23 am »

Iron is a nutrient for the body, I am sure it knows how to handle any trace iron far better than trace non-stick gunk...

No indeed. Too much iron is toxic, especially to men. "Non stick" is not the only alternative. Stainless steel is durable, non-toxic and much easier to cook with. I have found that tempered glass is superior to anything else for baking. Cast iron is great for occasional use, for specific things, but is not good for general use every day.

There is sufficient iron in everyday foods for most people.  Those who are diagnosed with a deficiency have metabolic problems with absorption, not any lack of intake.

This gives a lot of good information:
http://www.arltma.com/Articles/IronToxDoc.htm
Retention

About 75% of the iron in an adult is found in hemoglobin, myoglobin and iron-containing enzymes such as catalase and peroxidase enzymes. The other 25% is stored in the liver, spleen and bone marrow.

Excretion

Normally, 95-100% of iron is retained by the body. This is a common reason why iron toxicity occurs. Iron is normally excreted in the bile, but is reabsorbed in the intestines. The body does not seem to have specific excretory mechanisms for iron. Kidney involvement in iron excretion is negligible. Menstruation is the most common cause of iron loss.

Metabolic Effects Of Iron Toxicity
Deposition in Body Organs and Tissues

The detrimental effects of chronic iron toxicity are due in part to iron accumulation in various organs. These include the heart, liver, brain, pancreas, and joints.

Displacement of Vital Nutrients

Many of the symptoms of iron toxicity are due to displacement by iron of zinc, copper, manganese and other vital nutrients.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2016, 08:02:24 am »

Interesting information. I love my cast iron skillet. But I use it only to fry omelets, and that only a few times a month.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2016, 08:08:37 am »

Wow, I always thought the body would generally let it pass thru if not needed.....
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2016, 01:53:46 pm »

Question on iron excretion ML.

For men, women who are past their menses stage, ( past menopause?) does donating blood help with the over abundant iron reduction?
How often would a person (see defining character definitions above) need to donate for it to be beneficial?
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up