The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Patrick Henry Project  (Read 3575 times)

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
The Patrick Henry Project
« on: February 09, 2012, 04:40:29 am »

A couple of weeks ago, Western Rifle Shooters posted an idea from Ann Barndhardt. She had posted a YouTube video of her recitation of Patrick Henry's famous "Give me liberty or give me death" speech. She asked others to make their own videos and for someone to collect them. I've been working since then on a web site to collect those videos. I just got it fully functional. Take a look, and if you're moved to do so, please record, upload, and post on the site your own video.

http://patrickhenryproject.org/
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

knobster

• Come and take!
Re: The Patrick Henry Project
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:36:51 am »

It is always amazing to see how people talked back then.  Almost poetic.  I can't imagine someone addressing the congress with such a command of the English language these days.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:28:15 am »

It is always amazing to see how people talked back then.  Almost poetic.  I can't imagine someone addressing the congress with such a command of the English language these days.

Don't really care if they were addressed in Klingon... as long as they got the message. That might actually have more impact on them. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

gaurdduck

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 10:49:37 am »

Don't really care if they were addressed in Klingon... as long as they got the message. That might actually have more impact on them. :)

I'd tell them, "Ima deikan, Yi'mej Plapkoh Yi'mej gétal paliya." in Altherkin Itak.... It's something to the effect of "Please, go commit suicide, right now."

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:21:41 pm »

How about his very short speech, "I smell a rat in Philadelphia."
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 08:46:31 am »

I finally made a video of myself speaking the final paragraph. http://patrickhenryproject.org/view/1

Please add your own.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:19:31 pm »

Going to zombify this thread, since I just found it.  I watched the lady's video...rather, I started to.  She may be a firm supporter of liberty, and she may believe in the speech strongly, but I got a serious impression of sarcasm from it.  A few seconds on YouTube found this recital, which I found far more moving.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 05:46:24 am »

Wow.  Great stuff ss.  Thanks for sharing.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

stainzblue

• What's that beeping sound?
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 10:51:32 pm »

She may be a firm supporter of liberty
I read her stuff and I like a lot of it.  However, I honestly don't think she believes in "Liberty" for everybody.  I think her religious views prevent her from doing so.  She is extremely homophobic.  If you believe in freedom, nobody stands at the back of the bus, regardless of how you feel about them or their lifestyle on a personal level. 
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

jamie

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 12:32:59 pm »

She may be a firm supporter of liberty
I read her stuff and I like a lot of it.  However, I honestly don't think she believes in "Liberty" for everybody.  I think her religious views prevent her from doing so.  She is extremely homophobic.  If you believe in freedom, nobody stands at the back of the bus, regardless of how you feel about them or their lifestyle on a personal level.

This has always been a   problem in the so called freedom movement. Too many people want this or that freedom but don't want someone else to have a freedom they disaprove of. And then there are those who don't care if a certain freedom is taken away because they don't indulge or whatever.

hangman

• Senator, +Lampost, +Rope. Some assembly required
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 07:06:09 pm »

How about his very short speech, "I smell a rat in Philadelphia."

I've read it years ago, but I can't find a text of it. Any clues.
Live Free Or Die: Death is not the worst of evils.

"Resist much, obey little." ~ Walt Whitman

If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws. EDWARD ABBEY

stainzblue

• What's that beeping sound?
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 05:52:50 pm »

This has always been a  problem in the so called freedom movement. Too many people want this or that freedom but don't want someone else to have a freedom they disaprove of. And then there are those who don't care if a certain freedom is taken away because they don't indulge or whatever.

Yup.  Imagine if we can get that wrinkle worked out? 
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

RagnarDanneskjold

• Four-Leaf Order of PSM
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 03:09:03 pm »

This isn't part of the Patrick Henry project, but I thought it might fit here better than starting a new thread. Maybe I will link to here from my I had a rant thread. I've been doing a vlog lately. I talk about various stuff. Yesterday I read the first part of James Otis speech against Writs of Assistance. John Adams said of the speech, "Then and there, the child Independence was born". I sure wish we had the whole 5 hours. A lot was lost to posterity when Otis, suffering dementia from a whack on the head with a sword, took all his papers out to his yard and set them ablaze.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Lg0-lAcZg&feature=share
The Mayor is the Problem
The flagpole is the answer
We hung the first one
We can hang another one

The Firesign Theatre - from the album Boom Dot Bust

Dear Government
You are a ass shit.

A note from my younger son when he was 3.

When rights are outlawed, only outlaws will have rights. - Me

Round up everybody who can ride a horse or pull a trigger. Let's break out some Winchesters.  - John Wayne (Chisum)
Pages: [1]   Go Up