The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Man killed for hugging police officer  (Read 2086 times)

Polearm

Man killed for hugging police officer
« on: December 30, 2011, 10:25:21 am »

When I read the byline on the morning ticker, I got the impression this happened in Canada.  It actually happened in Grenada.

"A 39-year-old Toronto man, who was back home in Grenada for the holidays, was allegedly beaten to death by police after hugging the wrong person on Boxing Day.

Oscar Bartholomew’s death has raised concerns about police brutality and citizens of the small island on the Caribbean Sea are demanding the officers involved be held accountable."

More here:

http://www.lfpress.com/news/canada/2011/12/28/19177261.html

Merry Christmas and welcome home indeed.

R.J.
audax et celer

mouse

Re: Man killed for hugging police officer
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:35:15 am »

From the article:  "Lett said many citizens have expressed concern about the incident to him and he shares their concern.

“I know the police will conduct their own internal investigation,” he said. “But they may also wish to consider setting up a broader commission of enquiry that includes a retired judge to speed up the investigation and uncover all the facts surrounding the incident.”

It would be good to hear any follow up to this story and other stories like it.  Anyone see anything?

Polearm

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:57:23 pm »

You asked for more:

http://test.lfpress.com/news/canada/2012/01/30/19311796.html

Five officers are on trial for manslaughter, but currently out on bail.  Calls have been made for murder charges, but I don't think they could successfully prosecute on them.  The Crown would have to prove the officers intended to kill him, not just get him off the officer he was hugging. 
R.J.
audax et celer

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 01:22:00 am »

That seems like a "critical existence failure" by the moron who hugged an enemy in a decided war zone.  (Hint: anywhere a cop is present, is a war zone with war declared and in progress against ALL non cops.)
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

mouse

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 06:34:30 am »

You asked for more:

http://test.lfpress.com/news/canada/2012/01/30/19311796.html

Five officers are on trial for manslaughter, but currently out on bail.  Calls have been made for murder charges, but I don't think they could successfully prosecute on them.  The Crown would have to prove the officers intended to kill him, not just get him off the officer he was hugging. 

Are you kidding?  "Bound, gagged and brutally beaten" merely to "get him off the officer he was hugging"?  "No intention to kill" - just to "bind, gag and brutally beat"?  There may have been no "specific" intention to kill, but there was most certainly a lack of caring if the victim died or not.

Sounds pretty much like murder to me.  Absolutely clear cut!

Polearm

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 11:35:49 am »

Mouse, I agree.

However, the Crown would have to prove, to a jury, that all of the officers woke up, went to work and agreed as a group that their near mythical police officers intended to kill this man.  Beyond a reasonable doubt.  Police in Grenada are held in the highest regard by the populace.  It (was) something of an honour to join the force as I understand it.

I think the charges of manslaughter, while not the murder we know it to be, is a near guaranteed guilty verdict.  I'm more satisfied with them going to jail for manslaughter than them walking on murder charges.  Remember, even after they get out, they have to live on the island.
R.J.
audax et celer
Pages: [1]   Go Up