The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Chicken keeping chronicles  (Read 6828 times)

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
Re: Chicken keeping chronicles
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 11:48:04 am »

Hens, generally tend to be your typical girl (ML, you don't qualify as typical, so don't get upset on this) in that they do not pay attention to their surroundings while they're doing their hen thing...

Only, ML, eh?  :rolleyes: :)
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

Who...me?

« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 03:37:09 pm »

quote author=Moonbeam link=topic=31073.msg423499#msg423499 date=1399135591]
...a good shotgun with buckshot works wonders. Especially on stray dogs. They don't normally run alone, and when you kill one it scares the others. (That has been my experience, YMMV)

There are not any stray dogs in my neck of the woods - not to say it couldn't happen. All the neighbors know each other's pets so shooting what would most likely be a neighborhood pet is not an option. :)

I'm more concerned about attracting the coyotes or a fox or something along that vein. We plan to have the coop enclosed, but I was wondering what to do to protect them from something coming up underneath.
[/quote]

Dig at least a 3 foot deep trench and bury your fencing at least that deep.  Renting a trencher for a few hours will save a  lot of work.[
"If you are in a fair fight, Your tactics suck"

"The kind of man who demands that government enforce his ideas is always the kind whose ideas are idiotic." - H. L. Mencken

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 07:52:08 pm »

Hens, generally tend to be your typical girl (ML, you don't qualify as typical, so don't get upset on this) in that they do not pay attention to their surroundings while they're doing their hen thing...

Only, ML, eh?  :rolleyes: :)

I haven't met you.  Speaking of which, have you MET ML?  She's one scary shortie... that look!  Woah!
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2014, 12:03:16 pm »

Well, looks like I need to add the list of potential problems... Yesterday while walking past my kitchen window I caught sight of a turkey walking across my front lawn. Color me surprised!

DF - I am starting to suspect ( :rolleyes: ) you have had your fair share of experience with bimbos...

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2014, 01:05:42 pm »

Well, looks like I need to add the list of potential problems... Yesterday while walking past my kitchen window I caught sight of a turkey walking across my front lawn. Color me surprised!

I'm a little confused here. :) Do you consider a turkey a potential problem for you chickens? Or is the "turkey" two legged and look suspicious... or hungry... or ??  Armed with shotgun or wire cutters? LOL
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2014, 01:22:36 pm »

*LOL* I was just as surprised as could be to see a big ol' turkey strutting across my front lawn! I guess mentally I was adding that creature to the list of other known critters in the area.  :laugh:

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2014, 05:03:05 pm »

Or is the "turkey" two legged

...Um.....

Nope, she's smart, she'll figure it out....
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2014, 10:31:55 am »

No, no... I got the the two-legged comment. Interesting enough, I have always called the twins my Little Turkeys!

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2014, 05:29:24 pm »

No, no... I got the the two-legged comment. Interesting enough, I have always called the twins my Little Turkeys!

I was actually talking about ML catching it.  Cause, you know, turkeys are two-legged. 
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

Adventurer, Explorer, Inquiring Mind.

• Given up.
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2014, 05:42:55 pm »

DF - I am starting to suspect ( :rolleyes: ) you have had your fair share of experience with bimbos...

You'll have to PM me and explain that remark.  Not sure you're being funny or there's some double meaning I'm not caffeinated enough to get today.

That said, yes, yes I have.  I've known a couple good ones, but... well... we were politically incompatible.  I like hardware, some of it martial in nature.  Those particular chicks were offended by that.  Definitely incompatible.

Once more on that, the only girls I have I trust completely are my birds.  And my guns.  But the guns lack initiative while the birds will come to me and love me... I occasionally turn one into soup... and we eat their oversized ovules, so to speak, and yet they love me, and don't accuse me of being a crazy scientologist or something.  What's not to love about 'em?
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2014, 11:11:01 am »

There's a farm about an hour south of us in MS. Here's what they have: Rhode Island Red, Barred Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington & Ameraucana hens that lay brown, green & blue, medium to large eggs.

I would think those breeds would work where I live, too, right?

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2014, 11:20:48 am »

There's a farm about an hour south of us in MS. Here's what they have: Rhode Island Red, Barred Plymouth Rock, Buff Orpington & Ameraucana hens that lay brown, green & blue, medium to large eggs.

I would think those breeds would work where I live, too, right?

Sounds like it. Those are all pretty hardy breeds anyway. Just remember that the Rhode Island Reds tend to be aggressive and are definitely not child friendly. The Ameraucana are probably the most gentle. They lay the colored eggs too.

Lonewolf72

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2014, 02:19:28 pm »

The Buffs are the most gentle, in my experience. The Ameracana hens are gentle, but the roosters tend to be aggressive, some more than others. That is based on my experience with them. YMMV

Got my Turken chicks on May 17. Yes, they came on a Saturday! The Postal service sent a special truck with them to the local PO.
They are growing well. I think they are growing faster than any other chicken I have had, with the exception of broilers. Fully feathered, now, and very active little buggers. Good at rustling up bugs. So far I am impressed with them.

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2014, 03:01:19 pm »

I don't have to have a rooster do I? (Wasn't planning on it, don't really want one...)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2014, 03:19:17 pm »

I don't have to have a rooster do I? (Wasn't planning on it, don't really want one...)

No, you don't have to get a rooster. They do have their uses, of course. An aggressive one might help keep out some predators, but that's an iffy thing at best. With children around, I'd not keep one myself.  But even if you buy all "pullets," you may wind up with one. Just do what it takes to make that one dinner before it gets big enough to be a problem.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up