The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weaponized Sonar  (Read 1639 times)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Weaponized Sonar
« on: August 12, 2012, 09:54:15 am »

Just saw this show about something with Mermaids.

http://dsc.discovery.com/show-news/mermaids-the-body-found.html

For myself, I think the mermaid part is complete fiction, though an interesting theory. And why not? If other mammals can evolve on land and then go back to the seas to become aquatic mammals like dolphins and whales, then why couldn't our hominid ancestors also evolved that way? After all many of those stages of Hominids species had evolved and actually lived far longer than our own distinct specie ever did. We're still newcomers to the "stage".

Of course, I think the evolution of the aquatic ape is far more complicated than they make it out to be.

The only things beleivable about this whole story is the theory of the Navy developing sonar into a weapon. That it may caused all the recent beachings of all these mammals. The Navy putting a "lockdown" on these beachings is mostly believable as they wouldn't want to stop their development of the sonar weapon. The main problem as I see with that is they'd need to get to the beachings before the general public do. That would be hard to do, or maybe not if they'd "know" where to look.

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

DiabloLoco

Re: Weaponized Sonar
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:52:22 am »

I saw this too. It was cool!

For the mermaid part, not probable, but possible IMO. There IS evidence to support the theory , though it was sketchy, not conclusive. Even if the "aquatic ape" theory is wrong, who knows what kind of DNA manipulation or splicing experiments are going on around the world. Perhaps the DNA of a human spliced with the DNA of a dolphin? What would THAT creature look like? (makes ya think of a mad scientist in a secret lair :laugh: ) Also, let's not leave out the alien variable. As kooky as it sounds, these creatures (if they are real) could be extraterrestrial in origin. :dontknow:

As for the sonar part, what do you think about a HAARP style system, on a smaller scale, deployed underwater? Or ground penetrating sonar, looking for oil deposits in the ocean, deployed at an angle, refracted across a wide area of water instead of directly into the ground? Kinda like a dog whistle. They do what they gotta do to get away from it. Even if it means "beaching" themselves.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:57:39 am by DiabloLoco »

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 01:32:44 pm »

No, by the conclusion reached on the show about the weaponized sonar, it hit those poor creatures like a fast car would hit you or me. Not just the "mermiads" but the other creatures like the whales and dolphins. Remember those "scientists" mention they had been hit by blunt force traumas. It's like taking battering rams to each creature in the area that thing is pointing at.

In my opinion, that's the most important thing about the show.

We don't do well sharing the planet with any other intelligent species. I'm not even sure if we're intelligent.

S.

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

DiabloLoco

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 01:43:25 pm »

No, by the conclusion reached on the show about the weaponized sonar, it hit those poor creatures like a fast car would hit you or me. Not just the "mermiads" but the other creatures like the whales and dolphins. Remember those "scientists" mention they had been hit by blunt force traumas. It's like taking battering rams to each creature in the area that thing is pointing at.

In my opinion, that's the most important thing about the show.

We don't do well sharing the planet with any other intelligent species. I'm not even sure if we're intelligent.

S.
I missed the end....fell asleep :laugh:

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:49 pm »

Yeah, well, the guy in charge of the research team is supposedly still "out there" trying to get in contact with them in order to "save them".

The rest of the "team" left him to move on. Thinking the best thing to do for the Mermaids is to leave them alone to hide. I'm inclined to agree.

S.

Pages: [1]   Go Up