The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Same cartridge for pistol and carbine  (Read 9893 times)

kel

• resident montanarchist
Re: Same cartridge for pistol and carbine
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2007, 10:58:56 pm »

The gp100 is a great gun. Nearly as strong as the famed Blackhawk, and with double action and speed loaders. Spend the 50-100 frn on a good trigger job and it will be nearly equqal to a s&w, and take a lot more abuse. Long range shooting is a matterof the right loads and lots of practice. If there is a NRA or IHMSA silhouette club in your area, I highly reccomend hooking up with them for great handgun practice. Some of these old guys use a 200gr cast bullet, loaded hot in a .38 case, in their .357 revolvers to knock over the 49.5 lb targets at 200m. The same bullet in a .357 case is too long in most guns.  I have seen some .44 240 gr hp rounds that would just leave a mark on the same targets. They don't count unless they fall.
I wasn't picking my nose, I was pointing at my brain.

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2007, 10:34:22 am »

I have a Marlin 1894C on order. Should be arriving March 6th or so. I've been wondering what kind of revolver
to choose to go along with it. What do you think of the GP100?
GP-100 is very good revolver.   Strong as all get out.  I replaced the stock grips with a Hogue monogrip making it quite about more comfortable for me to shoot.  The stock trigger could stand some work but it's not too bad overall.  The action is simple and easy to maintain.  It's roughly the same size as a S&W 686 (K-frame ?) so if you have small hands or short fingers it may be too large.

HK speedloaders are $8.35 each from http://www.pistoleer.com/hks/revolver/
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2007, 10:58:23 am »

The stock trigger could stand some work but it's not too bad overall.  The action is simple and easy to maintain.  It's roughly the same size as a S&W 686 (K-frame ?) so if you have small hands or short fingers it may be too large.

I have large hands. I was wondering if the grips would be big enough. Are there any custom grips
that make the grip area longer?

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

enemyofthestate

• Banned
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2007, 10:31:20 pm »

The stock trigger could stand some work but it's not too bad overall.  The action is simple and easy to maintain.  It's roughly the same size as a S&W 686 (K-frame ?) so if you have small hands or short fingers it may be too large.

I have large hands. I was wondering if the grips would be big enough. Are there any custom grips
that make the grip area longer?

Dunno.  Pachmayr maybe?  They tend to be larger than Hogue for the same gun.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2018, 10:07:02 pm »

A few more examples. I have a Marlin 1984 Carbine in .44 magnum. It comes in .357 magnum as well. And .45 Colt is the old original rifle/revolver shared cartridge.

Of course you can get wierd about it too. BFR makes a .45-70 revolver. :)

I found a 45-70 BFR at one of the ranges around my place.  The 45-70 revolver made my hands itch pretty badly, and the old wrists were sore for the next day or 2, definately a "training to fit the gun" issue.  I abandoned my Idea of a 45-70 set as far as rifle and revolver went.  A carbine, pistol set would be a good idea if you do not need a full power rifle cartridge (you are in the woods and not the long flats).  It extends your range and hitting power without having to practice intensively.  Since rounds are getting kind of short..........

For the youtoobe mongers, yes it is 10 years old, but  well..... it relates......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RFD1_ESbpM
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

securitysix

• Self Proclaimed Champion Thread Derailer
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2018, 05:03:49 pm »

Funny that you resurrect this thread now.  My head has been stuck on the semi-auto side of this for a while. 

My dad picked up a Sub2000 shortly before they released the 2nd generation of them and a Glock 17 to go with it (I don't recall if it's a Gen 3 or 4, but the 5 weren't out yet).

Neither of us care for the Glock, but the Sub2000 is pretty neat.  Just one problem:  It spits in your face if you're left-handed (I had a similar problem with the full auto Mac-10 I got to shoot years ago).

The Gen 2 Sub2000 has an adjustable stock, and the adjustment might push it forward far enough to keep it from spitting in your face, but I don't know, none of the videos I've found on the Gen 2 Sub2000s say, and I'm too cheap to buy one just to find out.

I really like the idea of a 9mm carbine that folds up small enough to fit in a backpack and takes the same mags as my pistol (I'd go M&P rather than Glock, even though there are no 33 round M&P mags that I'm aware of).  I'm not fond of having my gun spit in my face every time I pull the trigger.

Also, Hi-Point is now making their carbine in 10mm, which makes my sticker peck out a little, despite the proprietary mags.
"That's what governments are for; get in a man's way." - Malcom Reynolds

"This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer." - Will Rogers

ZooT_aLLures

• Administrator
    • http://www.thepriceofliberty.org
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2018, 01:42:58 am »

I have a pair of the ugly but useful hi-point 995 carbines and a dozen mags for them.
They complement my browning high power, my ruger model 95 and the other 9mm pistols I have.
They're NOT my main go to gun, BUT they're great for the smaller shooters in my clan, and a lot of fun in the meantime
Even some cowboy and indian outlaws in the 1800's eventually stopped sleeping under buffalo skins, and came to town to entertain paying customers. For some I imagine the bruising of their ego never healed.

We all have some scar tissue that never lets us completely forget the intent of the adventure.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2018, 05:18:37 am »

Reminds me I need to take the Hi-Point 9mm carbine to the range... just as soon as the snow melts and the mud dries at least a little. End of March, probably, at best. :) I can use the same ammunition between the carbine and the XD I carry, but of course they don't share a magazine type. I have plenty of magazines for both, however.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up