The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Subversive Santa  (Read 13441 times)

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Subversive Santa
« on: November 25, 2003, 08:08:25 pm »

I'm working (right now!) on a column about Subversive Santa gifts. I've got some goodies already in the Christmas stocking -- .50 BMG rifles, pre-paid cell phones, reflective license-plate covers, etc.

Got anything you'd like to add? And if I use your suggestion, may I credit it to your handle on these forums?

BTW, anybody know the latest on good, cheap telephone encryption?

Only rule for suggestions is that the items must be something freedom-oriented and actually obtainable for the holidays. "World peace" is out. So is "John Ashcroft's head on a plate." If you can supply a URL or other source info for your Santa suggestion, all the better.

Books, gun gear, privacy tools, organizations to make a holiday contribution to, movies on DVD or VHS, computer security items, freedom-slogan clothing, knives, survival stuff ... ? Gopherit.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 08:09:11 pm by Claire »
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

My life is my message. -- Gandhi

Ted Nielsen

Subversive Santa
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2003, 08:41:28 pm »

I don't know if this counts: http://www.skype.com/

Ian

• aka Elf-Boy
Subversive Santa
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2003, 09:12:29 pm »

A friend and I have been playing around with iGo Incognito - an encrypted IM client - for a while. We haven't gotten it to work very well, though. I can see when people are online and offline, but I have trouble getting messages out. If someone knows how to make it more reliable, it'd be pretty cool stuff.

And Tomlinson took up the tale and spoke of his good in life.
"O this I have read in a book," he said, "and that was told to me,
"And this I have thought that another man thought of a Prince in Muscovy."
The good souls flocked like homing doves and bade him clear the path,
And Peter twirled the jangling Keys in weariness and wrath.
"Ye have read, ye have heard, ye have thought," he said, "and the tale is yet to run:
"By the worth of the body that once ye had, give answer—what ha' ye done?"

Docliberty

Subversive Santa
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2003, 10:31:13 pm »

Silver and Gold, Silver and Gold.   Panda coins are pretty, so are maple leaves and eagles.  And then there is always http://www.libertydollar.us/.

And under the catagory of fun useful and do-it-yourself, http://www.mangonel.com/
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 10:35:18 pm by Docliberty »
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Subversive Santa
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2003, 10:44:24 pm »

I don't know if this counts: http://www.skype.com/
Heck, yes, it counts! Very good one. Too bad it's only for W******s.  :(

This reminds me ... couple of years back a friend and I tried the earlier program, Speak Freely. Sounds like it does much the same thing, but as I recall SF didn't do it all that well. It was sort of like astronauts talking to Houston with a time lag. (But then, neither of us had a high speed connection at the time.) Got any idea how well this one works, by comparison?
Just as the flattery of friends often leads us astray, so the insults of enemies often do us good. -- St. Augustine, Confessions, Book IX, Chapter 8

When faith ceases to be a challenge to the standards of polite society, it is no longer, or has not yet become, faith. -- Donald Spoto, Reluctant Saint:  The Life of Francis of Assisi

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Subversive Santa
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2003, 10:47:13 pm »

A friend and I have been playing around with iGo Incognito - an encrypted IM client - for a while. We haven't gotten it to work very well, though. I can see when people are online and offline, but I have trouble getting messages out. If someone knows how to make it more reliable, it'd be pretty cool stuff.
Yeah, I'd be curious to know, too. Private IM ... Hm, interesting. I never use instant messaging at all, so I wouldn't even know how to begin to evaluate it. But I'd be curious to hear what anyone else discovers. Thanks, Ian.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 10:47:57 pm by Claire »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Subversive Santa
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2003, 10:52:03 pm »

And under the catagory of fun useful and do-it-yourself, http://www.mangonel.com/
Okay, I'll put silver and gold on *my personal* Christmas list, for sure. Now I just gotta go find me some really good friends.  :D Naw, really. Good one.

And by damn, everybody's gotta have a mangonel!!!!

Not to mention the tee shirt: "Cum catapultae proscribeantur tum soli proscripti catapultas habeant." Translation: When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.

Hasher

Subversive Santa
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 12:16:17 am »

Battle Rifle Mags....M1a, Fal, ect.

Battle Carbine Mags...Ar-15, Ak's, ect

Pistol Mags....High cap is good

ammo

Optics...Got my eye on a Luepold M3 Mil dot.

Spare parts for every gun I own.

Did I mention Ammo?

More Surefire lights

And a copy of the Mini Series Amerika

Hasher

Scarmiglione'

Subversive Santa
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 07:20:05 am »

[whistling]

[drops a link]

www.terroristsupply.com

[/whistling]

Oddly, this link is prohibited from my corporate internet connection.
We've built a world safe for fools, and are overrun by them.

Augustwest

Subversive Santa
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2003, 07:44:52 am »

Professional Series Portable Telephone Voice Changer, $249.00 at thespystore.com

Perfect for those Simon Jesters on the go...
\"May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.\"  - Capt. Reynolds

ladylearning

Subversive Santa
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2003, 09:09:00 am »

Claire forgive my veering slightly off topic here but this thread dinged my creative/marketing side.
Do people still send Christmas cards and if so has anyone else thought of designing a liberty oriented Christmas card and offering a set on all our websites for the cost of a donation of say $20.00 or so?  Or maybe a downloadable version that's emailable.  
Also various books could be chosen as a Liberty Primer gift set along with an intro/bio of liberty websites and links.  
It's too late this year obviously but I'll soon have more time to do these kinds of projects.
  :) Good idea, needs tweaking
:( cost prohibitive
 :huh: what are Christmas cards?
:rolleyes: everyone rolls eyes

LL      

Dana

Subversive Santa
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2003, 12:13:30 pm »

[whistling]

[drops a link]

www.terroristsupply.com

[/whistling]

Oddly, this link is prohibited from my corporate internet connection.

That's why you'll want Santa to bring you a subscription to Anonymizer.

Dana

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Subversive Santa
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2003, 12:35:49 pm »

:) Good idea, needs tweaking
:( cost prohibitive

Maybe it's just my hermit nature, but with postage at $.37 and always going up, I fear Christmas cards are becoming a thing of the past. I remember when my folks used to get 200+ cards in December. Now, I get maybe six -- and half of those come from businesses.

How about this tweak, though: Bill of Rights Day cards (Dec. 15). Non-religious, liberty-loving folks who don't want to send Christmas, Yule, Solstice, or Hannukah greetings could send those.

Still ... would they pay $.37 on top of $20 for a box of 'em? Dunno
« Last Edit: November 26, 2003, 12:36:22 pm by Claire »

Claire

• Plain Folks
    • Living Freedom
Subversive Santa
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2003, 12:41:34 pm »

Oooh. Terroristsupply.com. What great, big brass balls they've got! (And what razor wire!)

AnonymiZer (sorry, my lower-case Z just quit working), yep. Good one.

And a voice changer? Well, I dunno how many Simon Jesters would pay $250 for such a thing. But somehow I'm glad to know it's out there. And glad for the reminder to go check more stuff at that site.

enemyofthestate

• Banned
Subversive Santa
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2003, 12:44:36 pm »

That's why you'll want Santa to bring you a subscription to Anonymizer.
I used to use anonymizer for ssh tunneling to an http proxy but $150/year for a sevice where I couldn't change the password was a bit much for me.
Mystical man values human life.  Rational man values the ability to value human life.
--Stephen Carville

Atheist   n.   A person to be pitied in that he is unable to believe things for which there is no evidence, and who has thus deprived himself of a convenient means of feeling superior to others
-- Chaz Bufe, The American Heretics Dictionary
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up