The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39   Go Down

Author Topic: Firearms and ammo update  (Read 86641 times)

eyeon

Re: Firearms and ammo update
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:56 am »

I'd feel a lot better if there was a tested "underground" primer manufacturer lurking out there.  I think any decent meth cook could probably whip up some useable batches of powder, however.

Actually, primers may be easier.  I heard some years back about people in some Eastern Europe area who commonly reloaded .22LR as it was hard to get.  By pressing the rims back out they could remake the space for the priming compound, and for the compound itself, they used a solution based on strike-anywhere match heads.  You pack it around the edge of the rim and then spin the case (very fast; build a little gearing) to force the compound back out into the rim.  Allegedly worked fairly well.

Making smokeless powder would be harder.  The chemistry isn't that hard, but there's tricky physical bits to it too; very precise work on the shaping and sizing of the granules, application of retardant coatings, etc.  And you'd have to do a lot of characterization on each lot to have a chance of getting usable loads because there's a lot of variation; manufacturers have to do a huge amount of work to get canister powders as consistent as we take for granted.

Now, making black powder is much simpler.  That's much easier to do on a personal level.  In fact, I think there was a time when it wasn't uncommon for armies to carry individual components and mix the powder themselves in the field (safer to transport, than a big keg of powder ready to blow).  So if you're thinking in the extreme there, calibers like .45 Colt or .45-70 that were designed to be loaded with black powder may be good choices  (the .30-30 was not, contrary to popular belief, originally actually a BP cartridge; all the factory loads were smokeless.  X-ref: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/3030history.htm.  But there's a fair amount of data out there for loading it with BP, so that's a possibility too, though the smaller calibers like that will foul a lot quicker).  Or front-stuffers, of course...

(of course, this doesn't mean you should run off to your garage, dump some sulphur and saltpeter into your barbeque, then cram it in your gun.  But it is a lot easier to make BP than anything like modern smokeless)
Keep talking.  I'm reloading.

gunslinger598

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 10:03:17 am »

a week or two ago I watched a you tube video where they had come up with a tool to reload 22 LR.

I don't have the link but I'm sure it can be found.

I've been on the levergun forum several years now.

A few years back there was a thread about remanfacturing primers as well.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 10:12:06 am »

a week or two ago I watched a you tube video where they had come up with a tool to reload 22 LR.

Considering the mind bending tedium of reloading 30-06 or .45... the idea of reloading .22 is incomprehensible. It is hard to imagine any compelling need to do so. Establishing a co-op factory, and installing the appropriate machinery seems infinitely more rational.

But, what do I know?
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

gunslinger598

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2013, 03:38:29 pm »

After watching the video of them resizing those 22 cases I figured I'd use a sling shot if I run out of everything  else.

Sometimes just because it can be done doesn't mean it's worth the trouble.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2013, 04:00:08 pm »

So.....Should I wait to buy my reloading stuff then? I have been planning to get all the stuff for awhile now. I mean, if I can't get everything that I need to reload, what's the point then?
Nobody responded to this question, so I thought that I would ask again. Should I buy now, or wait?

Docliberty

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2013, 04:26:27 pm »

So.....Should I wait to buy my reloading stuff then? I have been planning to get all the stuff for awhile now. I mean, if I can't get everything that I need to reload, what's the point then?
Nobody responded to this question, so I thought that I would ask again. Should I buy now, or wait?

If it were me I would start to get what I could now (pres, dies, assorted hardware) and then buy components as they became available.  My :twocents:
Doc

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."  Marion Morrison

"I do not fear my government.  I fear what my government will cause me to become."   Docliberty

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 04:32:39 pm »

You might try haunting estate and garage sales. I know of twice where a new widow let a massive amount of this stuff go cheap because she had no use for it. You just have to be in the right place at the right time, of course, with cash.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 05:01:47 pm »

You might try haunting estate and garage sales. I know of twice where a new widow let a massive amount of this stuff go cheap because she had no use for it. You just have to be in the right place at the right time, of course, with cash.
I know someone that works at Redding Reloading Equipment and can get me 70% off, but they can only do it once/year. Is Redding good? I have no idea who makes the highest quality stuff.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/

Mountain Prepper

• Observation, logic, communication, and acceptance is the only rational path.
  • Crafty Mountain Coyote
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2013, 05:09:18 pm »

I know someone that works at Redding Reloading Equipment and can get me 70% off, but they can only do it once/year. Is Redding good? I have no idea who makes the highest quality stuff.

http://www.redding-reloading.com/

Good quality solid stuff, all good except the "turret press" the Redding and RCBS turret presses are not designed well.
The majority of the populace remains willfully and blissfully ignorant of the fact that they are simply trained apes owned by the oligarchy. The act of voting is only another delusion to distract, similar to sports, controlled media manipulation, and religion. Nothing is ever “fixed” because “normal” is both mediocre and cowardly.

gaurdduck

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2013, 06:32:00 pm »

I'd feel a lot better if there was a tested "underground" primer manufacturer lurking out there.  I think any decent meth cook could probably whip up some useable batches of powder, however.

Actually, primers may be easier.  I heard some years back about people in some Eastern Europe area who commonly reloaded .22LR as it was hard to get.  By pressing the rims back out they could remake the space for the priming compound, and for the compound itself, they used a solution based on strike-anywhere match heads.  You pack it around the edge of the rim and then spin the case (very fast; build a little gearing) to force the compound back out into the rim.  Allegedly worked fairly well.

Making smokeless powder would be harder.  The chemistry isn't that hard, but there's tricky physical bits to it too; very precise work on the shaping and sizing of the granules, application of retardant coatings, etc.  And you'd have to do a lot of characterization on each lot to have a chance of getting usable loads because there's a lot of variation; manufacturers have to do a huge amount of work to get canister powders as consistent as we take for granted.

Now, making black powder is much simpler.  That's much easier to do on a personal level.  In fact, I think there was a time when it wasn't uncommon for armies to carry individual components and mix the powder themselves in the field (safer to transport, than a big keg of powder ready to blow).  So if you're thinking in the extreme there, calibers like .45 Colt or .45-70 that were designed to be loaded with black powder may be good choices  (the .30-30 was not, contrary to popular belief, originally actually a BP cartridge; all the factory loads were smokeless.  X-ref: http://www.leverguns.com/articles/3030history.htm.  But there's a fair amount of data out there for loading it with BP, so that's a possibility too, though the smaller calibers like that will foul a lot quicker).  Or front-stuffers, of course...

(of course, this doesn't mean you should run off to your garage, dump some sulphur and saltpeter into your barbeque, then cram it in your gun.  But it is a lot easier to make BP than anything like modern smokeless)

Go buy (or download a pdf of) a copy of Foxfire #5. It's got a recipe for making blackpowder the old way.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2013, 06:33:08 pm »

I was talking to my wife about the recent news about the sell out of guns and ammo,
and the DHS purchasing so much. Her reaction: "Time to learn how to us a cross bow."  :love4:

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

stainzblue

• What's that beeping sound?
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2013, 10:58:46 pm »

Get what you can so that maybe you can trade.  Dies will eventually wear out and break (get the common sizes, e.g, do you have friends with ARs (get small base dies), 9mm luger, 45 ACP, 38 Special?)  That would be a good bartering tool.  Get manuals.  Just because you can't get components doesn't mean you should not turn your brain into a sponge and learn everything about the craft that you can.  Build a brass annealing setup and offer to anneal people's brass in exchange of for reloading work or supplies.
"The most important part of survival is the mind. It is your mind that tells you to prepare for hard times. [...] It is also your mind that tells you how to handle hard times you didn't think to prepare for."  
securitysix

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 06:30:28 am »

Do you guys know anything about this company?

http://www.unammo.com/#Rifle

Shame about the name though.

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 06:33:57 am »

I was talking to my wife about the recent news about the sell out of guns and ammo,
and the DHS purchasing so much. Her reaction: "Time to learn how to us a cross bow."  :love4:

Bear

Then you may appreciate this fun "shot".  ^_^

http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20130214/

Take a look at the emblem on the jacket.

If you can't see it that well, go back a few weeks, it "talks" a little more about it.

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2013, 06:42:45 am »

I couldn't read the emblem, so I found the earlier discussion. It starts at http://www.leasticoulddo.com/comic/20130121/ . Buttons to move forward at the bottom of the page. National Crossbow Association
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 39   Go Up