The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great--Homeschoolers in the news  (Read 6577 times)

Desertrat

Great--Homeschoolers in the news
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2005, 07:17:27 pm »

Ragnar, I imagine it's due to what most see as insufficient punishment under prevailing law.  So, if the law doesn't mete out appropriate punishment, maybe outlaws will.

Proper nutrition during the first three or four years is an extremely important factor in maxmizing intellectual capapbilities.  It continues to be important onward in time, of course, but the first few years are critical.

Even good-hearted parents can err in this matter.  They think that because a kid is fat and sassy, all's well--even if it's mostly from carbo from junk food.

This must be coupled with intellectual stimulation.  The alphabet blocks, reading to the little folks early on...Interactions with other children and with adults, as opposed to using the TV as a baby-sitter.  And never forget the importance of hugging and cuddling--a known major factor in avoiding autism.  (This latter is part of why nurses hug preemies.)

I've often wondered if this isn't causal to the problems described in "The Bell Curve".  The mix of poor diet and lack of intellectual stimulation is most common in the lower economic groups, and the relative demographic percentages surely affect the overall averages.  Genetics might not be all that much of a factor.

'Rat

« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 07:19:07 pm by Desertrat »

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2005, 11:18:46 pm »

Speaking of Utah, Senate Bill 59: Homeschool Freedom Bill has been proposed by Mark Madsen - he seems to be one to watch! He is also proposing a bill that allows non-licensed people to carry their guns loaded in their cars. Currently only those with concealed carry are allowed to do this. News Artcile on Gun in Car bill.
The only problem I see with the stuff the article mentions about that homeschooling bill is that bit about "the same length of time" needs to be spent.  Why should it be,  if you can do the job in less time,  which is something that I would expect with home schooling?

I wonder if that gun thing specifies a permit from that state or not?  Nice to see things moving in that direction,  anyhow...
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin

Roy J. Tellason

• Techy Kinda Guy and Serious Bookaholic
    • Roy J. Tellason's Home Page
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005, 11:23:38 pm »

Ragnar, I imagine it's due to what most see as insufficient punishment under prevailing law.  So, if the law doesn't mete out appropriate punishment, maybe outlaws will.

Indeed.  Kids are the most defenseless people,  and anybody who *tortures* kids...   One bit that stands out in my memory from the brief bit of what I caught on the news as I was going by was something about one of those kids having toenails pulled out with a pair of pliers!  What's the law going to do to compare with that?

This must be coupled with intellectual stimulation.  The alphabet blocks, reading to the little folks early on...Interactions with other children and with adults, as opposed to using the TV as a baby-sitter.  And never forget the importance of hugging and cuddling--a known major factor in avoiding autism.  (This latter is part of why nurses hug preemies.)

Yep.  That's why I try to pay as much attention as I can consistent with getting things done to those grandkids of mine.  And trying to counteract the TV is another issue,  the parents in this case are tv junkies,  it's on *all the time*,  but what can ya do?  I aim to see in coming months...

I've often wondered if this isn't causal to the problems described in "The Bell Curve".  The mix of poor diet and lack of intellectual stimulation is most common in the lower economic groups, and the relative demographic percentages surely affect the overall averages.  Genetics might not be all that much of a factor.

I thnk it's something of a factor,  but not as much as some people like to use it as an excuse for.
Member of the toughest, meanest, deadliest, most unrelenting -- and ablest -- form of life in this section of space,  a critter that can be killed but can't be tamed.  --Robert A. Heinlein, "The Puppet Masters"
--
Information is more dangerous than cannon to a society ruled by lies. --James M Dakin
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up