The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Silver Thoughts For The Beginner  (Read 9814 times)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Silver Thoughts For The Beginner
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 01:00:47 pm »

I have no idea what that event may be, but until such an event occurs, there is nothing that we can do that would make any kind of impact. And that's the hard truth.

Well, yeah... exactly what I said to start with. :)  But I think you badly underestimate the number of people who just might be willing to take back authority of their lives.

I've trained nearly 200 of them in my gun classes alone the last five years or so... And I meet more of them daily.

No, they can't complete the operation right now, for the most part, but they will be ready when that "event" comes around. The trick is to find and nurture those around us now, while we yet may. If we write off everyone as beyond the pale... it's going to be lonesome.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »

I have no idea what that event may be, but until such an event occurs, there is nothing that we can do that would make any kind of impact. And that's the hard truth.

Well, yeah... exactly what I said to start with. :)  But I think you badly underestimate the number of people who just might be willing to take back authority of their lives.

I've trained nearly 200 of them in my gun classes alone the last five years or so... And I meet more of them daily.

No, they can't complete the operation right now, for the most part, but they will be ready when that "event" comes around. The trick is to find and nurture those around us now, while we yet may. If we write off everyone as beyond the pale... it's going to be lonesome.
Agreed. While I may not have enlightened as many as you have, I do my best. For me, considering my location, it's takes a bit more vetting, but when I DO find someone that is receptive, it is a very rewarding experience. :mellow: Luckily, most of my family "gets it". That helps.

rbryant

• The day of reckoning is a-comin'!
    • NoFEMA.com
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 12:36:46 pm »

A couple of thoughts on silver:

- Understand the difference between "coins" and "rounds" (coins are issued as currency by national mints)

- During "times of plenty" the 'Numismatic' (collectable) value of coins can be a big factor - during challenging times it is the "meltdown value" that is important (which keeps it simple - do not expect "times of plenty" in the Western nations for a long, long time)

- Since a 1oz silver round is worth roughly $20 today, it's a good idea to file away for future reference that it's equivalent to 5 gallons of regular gas.  This will help you to understand its value if and when the dollar goes unstable.

- If you purchase physical metals, don't mention a thing about them unless it's absolutely necessary.

Finally:

- When you hold one-ounce silver round in your hand you quickly understand, at some deep level, that you're holding "real money".

I dedicated an appendix of my book "When There is No FEMA" to the topic of precious metals in disaster preparedness.  They can certainly play an important role in surviving disaster, though not so much during the initial stages.
AUTHOR: "When There is No FEMA - Survival for Normal People in (Very) Abnormal Times"

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 03:02:29 pm »

rbryant, the "dollar" has been unstable for an incredibly long time. It is now very close to negative value. That will be the signal event.

Silver has no magical properties that make it more "money" than anything else people value.  Its value will be determined by the people who are using it at the time. What does gasoline have to do with it?
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2014, 09:11:35 am »

If you are collecting, and considering possible melt value, skip anything that is clad or plated.  Usually some sold "At cost" or "Below melt value" is one of these items.  The cladding or plating detail is often hidden in the fine print........  There is a company out there catering to "Collectors" called the untied states mint, that is like those old music deal where you can get music recorded "By The Original Artists".  That mint is a private operation.  The band was named "Original Artists" and didn't always play up to snuff........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

slidemansailor

• A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves
    • The Bitterroot Bugle
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2014, 09:17:35 pm »

Ask your search engine about "uses of silver" to get a real education. Health, electronics, solar, money ...  do your own research. 

Silver is consumed at a far greater pace than it is mined and refined. However 98% of the trades are in unfulfillable paper promises - the price has NO RELATIONSHIP with silver's actual value today.

Silver is a SOLID place to store your savings.  When paper promises turn to dust, silver will still be there.  Every balanced portfolio includes silver.
If you don't work for liberty,  you don't get it.

http://BitterrootBugle.com/

Rarick

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 06:24:28 am »

Yep, the paper money and certificate will al be woth their house warming BTU content and little else.  The actual real deal dent with a hammer object will be worth far more.   I remember a point made by Ron Paul about the actual value of those 10 silver quarters someone used to earn in a days work actually out valuing the hundreds they currently earn.......
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 08:33:01 pm »

Also, don't forget that by accumulating ACTUAL physical silver, you are taking wealth OUT of the banking system, protecting yourself from a collapse as well as accelerating said collapse. You are giving them less money to work with. Buying in semi-small quantities keeps Uncle Sam from noticing too. They can't tax or confinscate what they don't know about. :mellow:

jamie

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 10:59:46 pm »

A couple of thoughts on silver:

- Understand the difference between "coins" and "rounds" (coins are issued as currency by national mints)

- During "times of plenty" the 'Numismatic' (collectable) value of coins can be a big factor - during challenging times it is the "meltdown value" that is important (which keeps it simple - do not expect "times of plenty" in the Western nations for a long, long time)

- Since a 1oz silver round is worth roughly $20 today, it's a good idea to file away for future reference that it's equivalent to 5 gallons of regular gas.  This will help you to understand its value if and when the dollar goes unstable.

- If you purchase physical metals, don't mention a thing about them unless it's absolutely necessary.

Finally:

- When you hold one-ounce silver round in your hand you quickly understand, at some deep level, that you're holding "real money".

I dedicated an appendix of my book "When There is No FEMA" to the topic of precious metals in disaster preparedness.  They can certainly play an important role in surviving disaster, though not so much during the initial stages.

I believe your point is correct

Here is a quote from Silver from another thread.

In the late 1960s a silver quarter bought just over 1 gallon of gasoline.  Today the melt value of that silver quarter is $3.443, and the price of regular in the same market is $3.377.  A silver quarter still buys just over 1 gallon of gasoline after 50 years.

the fundamentals for silver and the many uses of silver really explain why it has been so valued and used as money for  thousands of years.

All else being covered it makes sense to have the poor man's gold.

rbryant

• The day of reckoning is a-comin'!
    • NoFEMA.com
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 09:26:03 pm »

rbryant, the "dollar" has been unstable for an incredibly long time. It is now very close to negative value. That will be the signal event.

Silver has no magical properties that make it more "money" than anything else people value.  Its value will be determined by the people who are using it at the time. What does gasoline have to do with it?

Silver does have a couple of properties that are "magical" to me.  The first is that the government can't create it willy nilly from thin air as they do dollars.  The second is that, unlike pork bellies, it doesn't lose its value with passage of time.

The "price of gas" is important (to me, at least) because it give a person a some rough sense of the value they can expect to derive from their silver when the value of the dollar begins to plummet.
AUTHOR: "When There is No FEMA - Survival for Normal People in (Very) Abnormal Times"

DiabloLoco

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 03:56:09 pm »

Silver does have a couple of properties that are "magical" to me.  The first is that the government can't create it willy nilly from thin air as they do dollars.  The second is that, unlike pork bellies, it doesn't lose its value with passage of time.

The "price of gas" is important (to me, at least) because it give a person a some rough sense of the value they can expect to derive from their silver when the value of the dollar begins to plummet.
Not really. If you offered me 10 ounces of silver for even ONE gallon of gas when I could not easily replace that gallon, I'd tell you to go pound sand. If things are still running, that's a different story.

StillaGhost

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2014, 07:26:25 pm »

If it's " magical " then you're living in a fantasyland. If what we all expect to come eventually happens you wouldn't get a gallon of gas , a lb of beans or rice or a box of ammunition from me with useless precious metals.

Bring me lead I can cast with , trade goods I can barter further , food , medical supplies , ammunition , tools etc...........then we'll have a trade........silver or gold?

NOPE.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 09:41:28 pm »

If it's " magical " then you're living in a fantasyland. If what we all expect to come eventually happens you wouldn't get a gallon of gas , a lb of beans or rice or a box of ammunition from me with useless precious metals.

Bring me lead I can cast with , trade goods I can barter further , food , medical supplies , ammunition , tools etc...........then we'll have a trade........silver or gold?

NOPE.
Silver and gold DOES have a purpose, but only in a rebuilding phase. Barter doesn't always work. There IS a use for money, but not until the dust settles.

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2014, 06:07:04 am »

NOPE.

Good thing I have about 150+ pounds of lead ingots on hand!
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Rarick

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2014, 09:12:55 am »

Yep, most of my stuff is about making stuff out of things I can grow or trade skills for other stuff I need.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up