The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Oh Noes! Here we go again!  (Read 5894 times)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
Oh Noes! Here we go again!
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:35:40 pm »

Here's another scare tactic to make us fear 3D printers.

http://gizmodo.com/the-worlds-first-entirely-3d-printed-gun-489975583

The headline in the link is not even true. Because it still uses metal, at least for the barrel lining.

S.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:08:17 pm by S. Jester »
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Oh No! Here we go again!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:42:26 pm »

Not too impressed with the trigger... but it's getting there. Just need to be able to print METAL, or something that will withstand the heat and pressures of a cartridge being fired.

But, fun as this is, I'm sure there are lots of other potential weapons that could be produced this way. What about lasers, "ray guns" or something like that?

The bottleneck will still be the cartridges with this gun... So, unless we can print ammunition, it's only of mild interest for me now.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:24:38 pm »

It's only a matter of time before we get a Star Trek replicator technogly. As for between now and then? Once we can print metal, and strong metal parts that can stand up to a lot of stress at that, it's all over as far as guns are concerned. The only weak points then will be the gunpowers and primers.

Oh, there's another thing that's coming around again. Big Sis want more. "Please sir, may I have more?"

http://www.infowars.com/dhs-seeks-millions-more-rounds-of-ammunition/

Are they expecting something in a few months? Hmmm.

S.

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

penguinsscareme

• Keeper of the red button
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 02:16:00 pm »

Just need to be able to print METAL

It's called sintering. Observe:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lisa_harouni_a_primer_on_3d_printing.html

As Jeffrey Tucker said when someone showed him the functioning 3d pistol that Defense Distributed has created, "It's a new world."
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

Sportos, motorheads, dweebies, wastoids...they think he's a righteous dude.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 02:24:09 pm »

Just need to be able to print METAL

It's called sintering. Observe:

http://www.ted.com/talks/lisa_harouni_a_primer_on_3d_printing.html

As Jeffrey Tucker said when someone showed him the functioning 3d pistol that Defense Distributed has created, "It's a new world."

That's terrific... now we just need to print ammo!

penguinsscareme

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:45:26 pm »

And more on 3d printing:

http://blog.ted.com/2013/02/07/7-talks-on-the-wonder-of-3d-printing/

This really is very, very big. It could very well do for manufacturing what the internet has done for information.

I really don't see how printing ammunition is a possibility, though. Someone far smarter than I will have to step forward with that breakthrough.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

The utter waste of our $2,000,000,000 a day military-industrial machine was never demonstrated more vividly than on 9/11.

You do what works.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 02:55:27 pm »

I really don't see how printing ammunition is a possibility, though. Someone far smarter than I will have to step forward with that breakthrough.

Indeed, which makes printing the guns more or less irrelevant. Who needs more plastic paperweights? :)

penguinsscareme

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:19:09 pm »

Why does the inability to print ammunition make any kind of guns irrelevant? We can't print ammunition now, but guns are still pretty relevant.
O Lord,
Thine Ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.

You do what works.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:10 pm »

Why does the inability to print ammunition make any kind of guns irrelevant? We can't print ammunition now, but guns are still pretty relevant.

Of course not... but if we can't get ammunition at all, by any other means... then it gets to be a problem no matter where the guns come from.

I suspect the printer folks need to think about guns that don't need unprintable ammo, that's all. :)

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:25:53 pm »

Maybe someone can improve on the coil-gun tech enough to shrink it down to handgun levels, then all we need is a good battery and electrical generation to charge it with. Then the signal truly can't be stopped.

S.

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 06:56:00 am »

Maybe someone can improve on the coil-gun tech enough to shrink it down to handgun levels, then all we need is a good battery and electrical generation to charge it with. Then the signal truly can't be stopped.

S.
:drool:
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 08:53:44 am »

Metalstorm type weapons (On you tube) are most of the way there. They still use powder, but they stack the rounds in the barrel.  If you got batteries with a power density high enough (THE current limitation) to simply substitute them for the powder you might get a hand held package. 

I Think the current handgun they have conceptualized is a 4 barrel style that has 4 various types of round available  (Something like judge dredds dial a gun....)
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 11:44:47 am »

I Think the current handgun they have conceptualized is a 4 barrel style that has 4 various types of round available  (Something like judge dredds dial a gun....)

Hmmmm, decisions, decisions... should I use the .38 or the .45? Nah, the 12 gauge shell... Oh shit, here he comes again... guess I have to go with the .38 - it's all I have left!

I'll take my full cap magazine of 9mm, and the spare mag... no decisions once I figure I need to shoot. 

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 10:48:15 am »

Usually it would be a lethal/ not so lethal option....
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 11:18:25 am »

"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up