The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cop 'power trips" on innocent man  (Read 2132 times)

7gitm7

Cop 'power trips" on innocent man
« on: July 09, 2013, 08:28:10 am »

Didn't see this posted yet...

http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/video-outrage-cop-power-trips-on-innocent-man

Multiple video clips at that site. Here is the story:

Video shock: Cop 'power trips' on innocent man
Footage exposes officer's treatment of driver who broke no law
Published: 12 hours ago

Police in Tennessee are reviewing a viral video revealing how a driver was bullied, intimidated and shouted at by an officer at a checkpoint looking for drunk drivers.

The officer refuses to answer questions from the driver, and interestingly, the driver notes that at no time during his detention was he asked by those running the DUI checkpoint whether he had been drinking.

According to the Daily News Journal, the officer who was caught shouting at the innocent driver was Rutherford County Sheriff’s Deputy A.J. Ross.

The video was set up by the driver, who ultimately faced no charges from the checkpoint.

“We’ve gotten worldwide response for this,” said Axl David, the communications director for the state’s Libertarian Party.

He explained a Chris Kalbaugh, a 21-year-old junior from Middle Tennessee State University, let him know about his plans.

David told the Journal that Kalbaugh said he was going to “exercise his rights” and record the results on video.

The online video reveals Ross asking Kalbaugh at the checkout to roll his window down more, but Kalbaugh refused because he said he could hear the officer clearly.

Ross quickly orders him to pull his car over and get out, repeatedly refusing to answer the student’s question on whether he was being detained. Kalbaugh also alleges that the officers there got a drug-sniffing dog and instructed the animal to “check” his car, whereupon the dog jumped up against the vehicle and scratched it repeatedly.

No drugs were found, even though the officers said the dog an indicated they were present.

“I looked at the video later on when I got home, and I noticed that every time the officer said, ‘check here,’ the dog scratched my car,” Kalbaugh told the paper.

He said he was careful to be certain he broke no laws, and tried to be respectful.

“The officers would not let me leave, but they would not answer if I was being detained.”

“He’s perfectly innocent and he knows his rights. He knows what the Constitution says,” the officer admitted while out of Kalbaugh’s presence. “He’s got air fresheners under the seat…”

Then a flashlight from another officer zeroes in on the camera.

“Oh yeah.”

“It’s running,” is heard.

Then the camera is turned away from the officers into the darkness, followed by sounds of fumbling around in the car, something being torn or something being shifted.

Kalbaugh said, “I was yelled at, bossed around, my car ransacked without my consent, had my rights taken away from me, all because of my window. All while not being detained. I broke no laws. Officer Ross told me that my constitutional rights did not matter at checkpoints.

“Happy 4th of July,” he said.

Gabriel Fancher, secretary for the Rutherford County Republican Party, said the situation highlighted by the video is “a tough one.”

“I realize that these road blocks help keep drunk drivers off the roads, and illegal searches like the one witnessed in the video are bound to turn up illegal drugs every now and then, but this is an example of soft tyranny,” Fancher told DNJ. “Our founders put in place rules and laws to limit these offenses, but over time we have slowly given up these rights — sometimes without even realizing it, because most people are good people and will mind a police officer when they tell us to do something.”

“Our trust in the government is being damaged at all levels,” Fancher added.

Such incidents are not restricted to Tennessee. There also was a recent incident at another DUI checkpoint at Lake Tahoe:
(3rd video clip)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
Re: Cop 'power trips" on innocent man
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:09:51 am »

“I realize that these road blocks help keep drunk drivers off the roads, and illegal searches like the one witnessed in the video are bound to turn up illegal drugs every now and then,

This, of course, is a big lie. There is no legitimate authority to violate the rights of any person, much less for these things. It is NOT about safety, no what the rhetoric... it's about control. Always, every single time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_checkpoint
There is a dearth of research regarding the deterrent effect of checkpoints. The only formally documented research regarding deterrence is a survey of Maryland's "Checkpoint Strikeforce" program. The survey found no deterrent effect: "To date, there is no evidence to indicate that this campaign, which involves a number of sobriety checkpoints and media activities to promote these efforts, has had any impact on public perceptions, driver behaviors, or alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes and injuries. This conclusion is drawn after examining statistics for alcohol-related crashes, police citations for impaired driving, and public perceptions of alcohol-impaired driving risk."[14]
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 03:42:21 pm »

Does the fire department drive around looking for fires? Do ambulances drive around looking for sick/injured people? Does the coroner drive around looking for dead bodies? The police have no business going out in search of "trouble" with no indication that there is any.

DPR 2006

• Evil MUST be stopped, no matter the cost
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:41:05 am »

Actually, ambulances DO drive around in case they encounter a situation with a sick or injured person (hence the root of their name, ambulatory).  When something nasty does occur, the dispatchers check the locations of the ambulances (these days via broadband), and send the nearest one(s) to the scene of whatever it is.

Not justifying...just sayin'...
Tyrants and criminals prefer UNARMED victims - ME
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats - HL Mencken

knobster

• Come and take!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:45:55 am »

Does the fire department drive around looking for fires? Do ambulances drive around looking for sick/injured people? Does the coroner drive around looking for dead bodies? The police have no business going out in search of "trouble" with no indication that there is any.

Or better yet, do fire fighters go around starting fires?  Do EMTs go around hurting people?  Do coroners go around killing people?

On a side note, I just found out the dad of a cub scout friend to my son is a police officer.  The next time we meet I'll ask a few questions.  Like "why did you become a cop", "what are your thoughts on gun confiscation", etc.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:17:42 am »

Or better yet, do fire fighters go around starting fires?  Do EMTs go around hurting people?  Do coroners go around killing people?

Yeah. I like your version better. :thumbsup:

gunslinger598

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 08:48:27 am »

In the town that is my  mailing address, there are lots of old abandoned wooden houses, Seems like every trip to town I  See one or two have completely  burnt to the ground. The land owners are long  gone. Often dead. No one to make pay  for a demolition. I'm pretty sure the city is torching them. While the fire dept  gets their practice for free so to speak.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:57:17 am »

In the town that is my  mailing address, there are lots of old abandoned wooden houses, Seems like every trip to town I  See one or two have completely  burnt to the ground. The land owners are long  gone. Often dead. No one to make pay  for a demolition. I'm pretty sure the city is torching them. While the fire dept  gets their practice for free so to speak.
"Controlled burns", as they are called, are pretty common. I have been a witness to many. I have even seen a 10 acre field burned because one of the members of the fire department was going to build a house there.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 09:22:25 am »

"Controlled burns", as they are called, are pretty common. I have been a witness to many. I have even seen a 10 acre field burned because one of the members of the fire department was going to build a house there.

We did a "controlled burn" to eliminate the debris from the wrecked mobile home on my property. The volunteer fire department here declined to participate. They get plenty of practice, unfortunately.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 09:36:30 am »

<Insert bevis and butthead> Fire, fire, fire!

Now that that is out of the system.... I agree that ambulances do not go looking for slivers or headaches and such like cops do.   

I see it as an out growth of the old Tammany Hall and Precinct Protection Rackets.  The old sanctioned gangs had to prove they were "On the job" or lose market share to a rival "Security firm"...........and therefore the income.  I like the older- perhaps more honest- Protection for a Fee system, except for the fact that there was no "Protection by Herd" option.  If all the shop keepers around you were protected by gang X there was no option to "Sneak by" and not pay.......

Hey! that sounds like Govt and Taxes!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:00:11 am by Rarick »
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

DiabloLoco

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 09:43:12 am »

<Insert bevis and butthead>

Now that that is out of the system, I agreed that ambulances do not go looking for slivers or headaches and such like cops do.   I see it as an out growth of the old Tammany Hall and Precinct Protection Rackets.  The old sanctioned gangs had to prove they were "On the job" or lose market share to a rival "Security firm"...........and therefore the income.  I like the older- perhaps more honest- Protection for a Fee system, except for the fact that there was no "Protection by Herd" option.  If all the shop keepers around you were protected by gang X there was no option to "Sneak by" and not pay.......

Hey! that sounds like Govt and Taxes!
A tithe would seem more likely. Parishioners of a church are encouraged to add to the till, but it is not a requirement. Security could work that way as well. Just a thought.

*I am not religious and do not attend a church*

Rarick

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 10:05:16 am »

Yeah, the old "Voluntary financing of a necessary service".  There is a strange cultural influence in there, and that make the difference.  I*s it a small town or neighborhood "Pitch in and get it done according to ability" or is it a case of "I ain't gonna pay for that unless everyone pitches in their fair share".........

Then once the security is contracted for how do you keep the company from going over the line, turning into lord and master like the cops are starting to do, when a successful business discovers it has a semi-monopoly.......
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 10:27:39 am »

Then once the security is contracted for how do you keep the company from going over the line, turning into lord and master like the cops are starting to do, when a successful business discovers it has a semi-monopoly.......

Several things. First, every person who is physically capable would be armed and prepared to defend themselves and the community, or at least their own families. This is a very powerful "competition" to start with. Then there would be other companies available, and any company that did not satisfy the needs of the customer - especially if they got heavy handed - would not be "successful."

The power to TAX and compel people to disarm, etc... that's the only way any bunch can become even a "semi-monopoly." As long as people understand this and do not allow themselves to be robbed or disarmed, it's not going to happen.

The reason it happens now is that most people have been fooled into thinking that the "government" does have a legitimate authority to do those things. That's what has to change.

Rarick

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 10:36:55 am »

Yep, people have leveraged the "community of Ideas" where there is a consistent "Ideaman/ Leader/ Patriarch" into the idea of "The problem solver in charge".  Since people tend to pass on skills, a group of problem solvers, or a family of problem solvers can develop a sort of Govt. if people aren't careful.

Silver

• thrivalist
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 04:06:36 pm »

The big lie is the notion that any of this is at all unusual.  Every time any thug stops a mundane, they do the same "power trip."  If the mundane shows anything less than complete groveling subservience, they risk anything from kidnapping (as in this incident) to a beating to summary execution.  The odds of the thug paying any price are all are essentially zero, no matter how egregious their behavior. 

The difference in this case is the young man prepared and got documentation of what goes on all day every day in this police state hell.  What he did was unusual.  What the thugs did was SOP.

Peace,

Silver
Pages: [1]   Go Up