The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Gun Shows  (Read 231219 times)

Bennie

Re: Gun Shows
« Reply #150 on: August 15, 2010, 05:04:58 am »

http://www.texasgunshows.com/

Went to this on Saturday and purchased nothing. I had never been to one of these things. My old navy buddy, who goes frequently, said this was a large one. It seemed large to me. The prices were high I think.

There were lots of everything including tons of ammo. There were giant supplies of everything under the sun and I didn't know what some of the stuff was.

I had hoped to buy another shotgun (not at those prices) and perhaps another winchester 30-30 (now I think I'll sell my 30-30 which should fetch a good price in it's excellent condition and get 2 of something else for the price).

LaughingBear

« Reply #151 on: August 15, 2010, 09:26:50 am »

Bennie,

gun shows are generally high priced.  I go because it's a great way to see a multitude of weapon and put hands on some stuff you may otherwise never get a chance to.  I go, I look, I ask questions, I make mental notes and then I go back home and look online, using what I've learned, find a good price on what I want, and have it shipped to an FFL close by.  Oh yeah, I usually pick up a brick of .22 or something else fairly reasonably priced.  Every once in a while you may actually run across a good deal on a weapon, but I never really expect to.
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are."

H. L. Menken

Bennie

« Reply #152 on: August 16, 2010, 03:48:11 am »

LaughingBear

Yeah, it was a learning experience. I saw weapons I had only seen in magazines or pictures posted on this forum. I listened to conversations and some of them were kind of funny----old guy in his 80's looking at knives got a tear in his eye and said, "My daddy used to carry one of them," to which somebody replied, "that's some memory you got there old man!", and of course everybody hooted and laughed. There were so many people there (99% men), and it was crowded. I saw guys pull out rolls of hundreds and count out thousands of $$$ for a pistol I can't imagine why they would want but mine is not to reason why. A few cops were there in uniform, and I was surprised at their laid back attitude and enjoyment of pleasant conversation with the patrons who were from every walk of life. I came close (just because) to picking up a couple of pretty clean Mosin-Nagant 91/30 for $99 each but I really did not want them. Like I said, I had never been before. Everybody there seemed to be decent people who were happy being in the scene. It was fun.

Pballer3223

« Reply #153 on: March 25, 2011, 09:43:47 pm »

There's a gun show in East Peoria Illinois tomorow and Sunday from 9-5.

JerryCanMan

« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2011, 11:54:43 pm »

I love the gun show. I go even when I don't want to buy anything. Did I mention I love the gun show?

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2011, 05:38:28 am »

Going to a show here in Grand Rapids in a couple of weeks.  I'll bring my cash with me just in case a nice 30-06 catches my eye...
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

IrishPyroWolf1994

• Don't Tread on Me!
« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:23 am »

Going to a show here in Grand Rapids in a couple of weeks.  I'll bring my cash with me just in case a nice 30-06 catches my eye...
[/quote

Do you mean the one in Grand Rapids, MI? Because I might be going to that one with my uncle, either that one or the one in Lansing...if you don't want to say in the public part of the forum, just shoot me a pm.

gaurdduck

« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2011, 02:18:35 am »

LaughingBear

« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2011, 09:11:31 pm »

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:14:21 pm by LaughingBear »
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are."

H. L. Menken

Basil Fishbone

• Administrator
    • http://
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2011, 10:53:58 pm »

I'll bump this Montana gun show schedule for newbies.

http://www.wcsofmt.com/schedule.cfm

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #160 on: August 05, 2011, 06:45:09 am »

Our gun show season is just starting too. First one in this area is always in Upton, a tiny little town about 20 miles northwest of here. They put on one heck of a nice show, with vendors from all over. I bought my very first carry gun there five years ago. Aug. 27 and 28 - if you happen to be in the area. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

LaughingBear

« Reply #161 on: August 15, 2011, 05:54:05 am »

H. L. Menken

dubber308

« Reply #162 on: August 15, 2011, 07:58:15 am »

Gun show in Libby, MT on August 20 and 21. There is also a car show on the 20th so parking and motel rooms are hard to come by.
Force shites upon the back of reason. -Ben Franklin

FREEEEZE GOPHERRR!!!!!!!  -Carl the groundskeeper

I'll bring you precious contraband
And ancient tales of distant lands
Of conquerers and concubines, and
Conjurers from darker times
Betrayal and conspiracy
Sacrilege and heresy
     excerpt from Steve Earl's "I Feel Alright"

MommaHen

« Reply #163 on: August 15, 2011, 01:13:20 pm »

Gun show at the county fairgrounds here...what appears to be every two weeks?

Have to be a member to buy a gun. The member stipulations and cost are just silly to me.
Most prices are high, but some vendors have random survival gear they will deal on just to get it off their table (med supplies, tools, books etc).

I did get some 7.62x54R in a spam can. Paid what I would for it online, but with no shipping and a cash exchange. Not that I could afford to buy it, but I didnt want to pass it up. :D
Also got some sutures, I intend to practice on a meat bird before butchering next month.

**MH

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2011, 09:13:53 am »

Also got some sutures, I intend to practice on a meat bird before butchering next month.

"Before" butchering? Isn't that cruelty to animals?  :rolleyes:

This is how we started when I learned:

First practice the surgical knots on plain cloth with ordinary fine thread, using the surgical tools. Get good at it first that way.

Then cut out some different thicknesses of plastic. Match two pieces of the same thickness and practice your sutures.

Then layer several different thicknesses in two matched piles. Staple or glue the outer edges together and then, starting with the lowest layers, suture them together in matched pairs.

A good book on surgical technique might be another helpful purchase.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 25   Go Up