The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Gun Shows  (Read 231189 times)

MommaHen

Re: Gun Shows
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2011, 11:32:10 am »

Also got some sutures, I intend to practice on a meat bird before butchering next month.

"Before" butchering? Isn't that cruelty to animals?  :rolleyes:

This is how we started when I learned:

First practice the surgical knots on plain cloth with ordinary fine thread, using the surgical tools. Get good at it first that way.

Then cut out some different thicknesses of plastic. Match two pieces of the same thickness and practice your sutures.

Then layer several different thicknesses in two matched piles. Staple or glue the outer edges together and then, starting with the lowest layers, suture them together in matched pairs.

A good book on surgical technique might be another helpful purchase.

Ahaha typo fail. My fingers moving faster than my brain perhaps.
I will practice AFTER butchering the meat birds. :D

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2011, 09:24:28 pm »

High Caliber Gun and Knife Shows

This is only one company [in the Houston area] that puts on gun shows in Texas.
I will see if I can get some of the others up as well.

The Linky is HERE.

From the website:
      Conroe, TX
      Lone Star Convention Center
      August  13 - 14  <==  notice date ===
      Sat 9-5 Sun 10-4
      Adults $7 - under 12 Free
      (936) 538-8000

Free Parking

Upcoming Show Schedule
      City           Show Dates
      Conroe    August  13 - 14
      Pasadena    August  27 - 28
      Houston    September  3 - 4
      Houston    September  17 - 18
      Conroe    September  24 - 25
      Pasadena    October  8 - 9
      Houston    October  15 - 16
      Conroe    November  12 - 13
      Pasadena    November  19 - 20
      Houston    December  3 - 4
      Pasadena    December  17 - 18

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lone Star Gun Shows
[up in the North East section of Texas east of Dallas]

Linky is HERE.

Beaumont, TX
Beaumont Civic Center
September 10 - 11, 2011
Sat 9-5 Sun 10-4
Adults $7 - under 12 Free

Free Parking

Upcoming Show Schedule
City               Show Dates
Belton      September 24 - 25, 2011
Ft. Worth      October 01 - 2, 2011
Tyler              October 29 - 30, 2011
Ft. Worth      November 12 - 13, 2011
Beaumont      November 19 - 20, 2011
Tyler              December 10 - 11, 2011
Ft. Worth      December 17 - 18, 2011

More when I get it.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:26:58 pm by gooch »
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

drdexter33

« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2011, 08:44:36 am »

nice info.

thanks!

MeyerLemon

« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2011, 05:39:28 pm »

Any thoughts on the "Crossroads of the West" gun shows? There is one near-ish me in Southern California next year and I might attend. Are any of these shows good for "first time" gun purchasers, or would I do better elsewhere?

Thanks!

Mr. Dare

• Administrator
  • My Strawman will beat hell out of yours any day!
« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2011, 05:55:33 pm »

In general I think gun shows are best for people who have some experience to aid them in the fast paced market of a gun show. Yes there are good deals to be had, but there are some lemons kicking around as well and the buyer had better have some idea what they are looking at to avoid overpriced goods and duds. The real newbie will benefit from the good advice and services of a reputable local seller who values his/her reputation. I'm not saying fraud is rampant at gun shows, you just need to be able to spot it when it occurs or you will likely have little or no recourse if they get taken. Most sellers are good. If you have a "short list" of potential buys, then do a bit of research on those items so you know a good buy when you see it and try your luck at the show! Just stay focused don't let anyone pressure you into a sale. The good stuff will sell on it's own merits, if someone seems anxious for you to buy that would be a sign you need to walk away.
"He's no fun, he fell right over!"
"I've got Deku Nuts coming outta my ass and I still can't kill this bastard!!!" (my sweet wife...)
"The road to Hell is paved with happy plans..."
"I do not avoid Twinkies, Duck, but I do deny them my essence." Joel

Bear

• Curious Bear
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2011, 05:59:12 pm »

You know you're living in the West when someone suggests
going to a gun show to do some Christmas shopping. You
know you are definitely living in the West when you go to
a gun show to go Christmas shopping for your wife.

Bear
"There is no good idea so perfect, so pure,
that Government can't do it badly."
-- Bear

da gooch

« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2011, 06:42:30 pm »

You know you're living in the West when someone suggests
going to a gun show to do some Christmas shopping. You
know you are definitely living in the West when you go to
a gun show to go Christmas shopping for your wife.

Bear

And that you have become a "westerner" when you wait for the gun shows to buy your presents to yourself.

Now if there was just one closer to me ...

III

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2011, 07:40:40 am »

Don't know about the shows where you folks are, but I've nearly stopped going to them here. Most guns are being sold by dealers, and the few private sales are pretty high priced and usually beat up old things. "Gun" shows are getting to be more and more like any flea market, filled with crafts and junk being promoted as "antiques." I don't have anything against them selling whatever they want, of course, but I go to handle and look at guns - not jars of honey or dried up western holsters and boxes of ancient ammo at high "antique" or "collectible" prices. Oh, there's a deal every once in a while, but it's usually very disappointing, and not worth the long drive or admission price.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

da gooch

« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2011, 06:21:30 pm »

Don't know about the shows where you folks are, but I've nearly stopped going to them here. Most guns are being sold by dealers, and the few private sales are pretty high priced and usually beat up old things. "Gun" shows are getting to be more and more like any flea market, filled with crafts and junk being promoted as "antiques." I don't have anything against them selling whatever they want, of course, but I go to handle and look at guns - not jars of honey or dried up western holsters and boxes of ancient ammo at high "antique" or "collectible" prices. Oh, there's a deal every once in a while, but it's usually very disappointing, and not worth the long drive or admission price.

Yep.

That and being as poor as a church mouse kind of makes it hard to be excited about most of the overpriced stuff they have for sale.

Then since I can barely afford the travel and entrance fees ... why was it I came here?
If I don't have any money to spend I don't go. It keeps me from being depressed by leaving with nothing.

YMMV

III

Gypsy

• 1% Biker/Bad Guy
  • Your Laws, Not Mine
« Reply #174 on: December 26, 2011, 04:56:39 pm »

Exactly ML.  :angry:
Party Like Its 1776

Mountain Prepper

• Observation, logic, communication, and acceptance is the only rational path.
  • Crafty Mountain Coyote
« Reply #175 on: December 26, 2011, 06:46:53 pm »

I quit buying from “private people” because the average seller of a gun (gun show or not) has no clue how much it is worth and almost without question wants more than you would pay for new in the box... Some of the prices folks want for some old beat up POS is downright delusional.

I know everyone is squeamish about “dealer forms” but I am on so many “bad lists” I don’t care, I was a licensed FFL holder and dealer for years along with type/class 6 and in business with a type/class 3 a few forms a year now don’t equate to anything added to what I already carry...
The majority of the populace remains willfully and blissfully ignorant of the fact that they are simply trained apes owned by the oligarchy. The act of voting is only another delusion to distract, similar to sports, controlled media manipulation, and religion. Nothing is ever fixed because normal is both mediocre and cowardly.

MeyerLemon

« Reply #176 on: December 31, 2011, 02:35:27 am »

Interesting! I will be taking my Uncle with me, since he is not only experienced with the guns themselves but has worked at a range as an instructor (CCW classes and police/fire training) so knows value and suitability of weapon to person (size, etc). That actually IS my Xmas present from my Aunt and Uncle :) training and a gun to go with it.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #177 on: December 31, 2011, 06:11:12 am »

Interesting! I will be taking my Uncle with me, since he is not only experienced with the guns themselves but has worked at a range as an instructor (CCW classes and police/fire training) so knows value and suitability of weapon to person (size, etc). That actually IS my Xmas present from my Aunt and Uncle :) training and a gun to go with it.

Excellent!!! Just be sure to get the gun that actually fits your hand and feels "right" when you hold it. Don't let anyone tell you different. :)

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2012, 03:42:28 pm »

Is it just here or are "gun shows" getting more and more like common flea markets? The last one I went to in Gillette was a farce. Almost no guns at all, just a bunch of junk and various things like honey, jewelry and "art" stuff. One whole section was given to cosmetics and junk like Tupperware, for pity sake. Even so, the room was half empty and there were very few people there. I didn't see much going out the door either. Not sure I'll bother driving the 80 miles - one way - to get there next time. sigh

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #179 on: December 05, 2012, 06:45:50 am »

Yeah the stock has been getting bought up. Crossroads of the west is thru 'vegas on an almost monthly basis and has some good regular vendors.  It is the strangers and newbies I see that I am careful about, and there are a lot of them lately.  People keep on picking up weapons plainly labelled "Ask Permission first" too, irritating for the discourtesy.  I understand why so many weapons have the "Full table cable" on them.........
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25   Go Up