The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25   Go Down

Author Topic: Gun Shows  (Read 231245 times)

MeyerLemon

Re: Gun Shows
« Reply #195 on: March 31, 2013, 12:59:16 am »

Regarding the group buy...possibly! Just checking back here because I started a new job (as in house counsel at a very large company in my industry...raise...benefits...YAY!!) and have been crazy busy, so I haven't made it out to pick up any large quantities. My buddy is great, so we'll see :)

By way of update, we decided to go ahead and pay the cancellation fee/DROS charge for that ungodly expensive S&W M&P 15 we were going to buy, and just decided to wait.

Lo and behold...last Sunday we went up to the local rifle range and they had the Sig 516...list price!! Then today we went up to the range to play with it (can't pick up until Wednesday, dang CA), and they had the M&P 15 in a 5.56 for list price, with a nice red dot sight and case/sling package for...list price!! Way to drop a few grand in 7 days on rifles! Funny, but it feels nice to have them (well, at least on Wednesday I will have them) finally.

Now to make an ammo run...

As far as my Sig 239 in the 9mm - well, I should have thrown a tantrum and got the one at the rude guy shop. They are sold out as far as the eye can see out here - lots of places have it in the .40, but no 9mm. Sad. I did get to play with that and the HK p2000 in the 9mm at the range today, and the 239 is just a way better fit for my tiny hands. I'll wait, I guess. I'm a lot less worried about handguns going away than rifles. Maybe I shouldn't be.

In gun show news, just to keep this topical here to the OP, the Glendale, CA gun show is now officially extinct. City counsel voted to prohibit possession, sale, and purchase of firearms and ammo on city property. It is worded so expansively that anyone in senior housing or other city-subsidized housing is now prohibited (technically) from owning firearms. Sounds like a great 2A suit, if someone will take it. We'll see where it goes.

LaughingBear

« Reply #196 on: July 04, 2013, 10:51:35 am »

"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are."

H. L. Menken

da gooch

• Mr. Badger? Only when need be
  • 32*25' N X 77*05' W X 060 Mag
« Reply #197 on: July 09, 2013, 11:10:09 am »

Regarding the group buy...possibly! Just checking back here because I started a new job (as in house counsel at a very large company in my industry...raise...benefits...YAY!!) and have been crazy busy, so I haven't made it out to pick up any large quantities. My buddy is great, so we'll see :)

snip - snip
[for brevity]

That's good news all around MeyerLemon. 
IF [the biggest impediment/word in the English language] the group buy comes to be do let me know?
As to specific items I would order ... whatever the group decides is good for me. I'm looking for the best price on popular ammo mostly, as a "savings account" of sorts, but would have a personal use for .308/762x51. [308 NATO]
[ Always keeping in mind that Rockefeller is NOT my familial name. ]

The shipping and handling after the sale May make my contribution pretty small all things considered.

IF it comes to pass you can contact me here or through one of the admins here.

stay safe,

gooch

Edit to add the gun show info   :rolleyes:  oops.

High Caliber Gun and Knife Shows Schedule
City                       Show Dates
Houston Reliant      July  13 - 14
Houston GRB      July  20 - 21
Pasadena              July  27 - 28
Pasadena              August  24 - 25
Houston GRB      August  31 - September 1
Conroe              September  7 - 8
Pasadena              September  21 - 22
Pasadena              October  5 - 6
Lufkin                      October  12 - 13
Conroe              October  19 - 20
Pasadena              November  2 - 3
Pasadena              November  16 - 17
Houston GRB      November  23 - 24
Conroe              November  30 - December 1
Houston Reliant      December  7 - 8
Pasadena              December  21 - 22
Houston GRB      December  28 - 29

AND...

Lone Star Gun Shows
Next Show
Tyler, TX       August 10 - 11, 2013
Sat 9-5 Sun 10-4
Adults $7 - under 12 Free

Show Schedule
City                  Show Dates
Belton      August 24 - 25, 2013
Ft. Worth      September 28 - 29, 2013
Belton      October 05 - 6, 2013
Tyler              October 26 - 27, 2013
Ft. Worth      November 16 - 17, 2013
Tyler              December 14 - 15, 2013
Ft. Worth      December 21 - 22, 2013
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 11:35:39 am by gooch »
"Come and Take It"  Gonzales, Texas 1835

III

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #198 on: November 09, 2013, 07:45:34 pm »

Hit the local gun show in Cedar Rapids, IA.  Seem to have about 10 shows a year here.  Prices seemed to be a bit calmer on most items.  Plenty of ARs out there in the $600-$700 range.  Primers were actually 29.99 at one of the tables!  It was actually a pretty good show - lots of guns, knives, reloading components, ammo and only one table that was selling food (beef sticks and jerky).  I found a great deal on fired brass: 200 cases of 30-06 for 15cents each; 44mag for 20cents each; 44spc for 20cents each and my best find: 100 cases of 338 for 15cents each.  I did a double take and then cleaned the guy out.  I was close to doing the Snoopy Happy Dance.
You will not rise to the occasion; you will default to your level of training.
In God we trust, everyone else bring data.

OLD TIRED RN

« Reply #199 on: November 09, 2013, 08:22:33 pm »

Knobster, good to hear anytime any of the good folks here have good luck at a gun show.  They are having one near me this weekend, but arthritis is so bad on me that I can't stand to walk all around on that concrete.  Wish I could even if only to see a lot of friends that I only get to see at the gun show.  Kinda fun to go look around even if I don't buy anything, and the prices here at this show are so high that's usually the way it goes, but sometimes maybe hit on some luck.

Best of good luck to you folks who can still get to the gun show in your areas.  Wishing you all the best of good fortune there. 

Old Tired RN
When freedom fails, the best men rot in filthy jails, and they who cry APEASE APEASE are hanged by those who they tried to please.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2013, 07:16:49 am »

No more shows around here until spring, unfortunately. Hoping they will return to actual gun shows instead of all the artsy craft stuff they've been filled with the last few years. Not that I have anything against arts and crafts... just go to a gun show to see GUNS. :)
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2013, 02:27:17 pm »

No more shows around here until spring, unfortunately. Hoping they will return to actual gun shows instead of all the artsy craft stuff they've been filled with the last few years. Not that I have anything against arts and crafts... just go to a gun show to see GUNS. :)
Amen to that.  I was happy to see 95% guns, knives and ammo at this one. 

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #202 on: November 11, 2013, 05:36:00 am »

The ones we have travelling thru my neck of the woods seem to have a "stuff/garage sale row" and then everything else is Gun Sellers who may also have other stuff as well.  last show I was at had 3 ammo booths doing business. 2 of them were roaring and the third was not.  As I was getting ready to avoid a line I heard "you are from cali?!  Never mind"  Market dynamics.....eh?
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #203 on: January 03, 2014, 07:37:08 am »

Heading to the local gun show in Cedar Rapids, IA this weekend.  Have a long list of brass to look for.

OLD TIRED RN

« Reply #204 on: January 03, 2014, 11:15:04 am »

Good luck at the gun show, Knobster.  Hope you find just what you need.  How about letting us know how the show went and what all you saw there.  Be very careful as there is a lot of winter out there this time of year and cold temperatures outside. 

RN
When freedom fails, the best men rot in filthy jails, and they who cry APEASE APEASE are hanged by those who they tried to please.

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #205 on: January 03, 2014, 11:18:39 am »

Good luck at the gun show, Knobster.  Hope you find just what you need.  How about letting us know how the show went and what all you saw there.  Be very careful as there is a lot of winter out there this time of year and cold temperatures outside. 

RN

Will do.  I was never that impressed with the gun shows I attended in Michigan.  Seemed half the tables were packed with artsy stuff.  And yes, lots of winter out there this year!

knobster

• Moderator Group
  • Come and take!
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2014, 08:16:41 pm »

It was quite the show in Cedar Rapids on the 4th of January.  Pretty well attended but not shoulder to shoulder which was nice. 

Guns:
Plenty.  Rifles, pistols, shotguns, the latest AR with all the frills down to quite a few nice looking WW1 bolt actions rifles.  The prices were high but I wasn't really looking for yet another boomstick so I didn't spend much time looking at price tags.

Ammo:
Plenty except for 22lr.  Prices were insane.  Even the surplus 7.62X54R was 50 cents a round.  9mm hollow point rounds were 80 cents each.

Powder:
Where?  Did you see any?

Primers:
Handful of tables had some.  Prices were surprisingly 'normal'.  Picked up 1000 large pistol primers for $28.  Prices ranged from 28 to 32.

Brass:
Again, only a handful of tables had brass and most was common calibers.  40s, 45s, 223.  Prices were OK.  I found one table in the back corner selling 44spc and 44mag so I cleaned them out.  Picked up 200 cases for $40.  Not too bad especially for the magnum cases which I rarely find.  Found one table selling new cases so I purchased a bag of 30-30 for 30 cents each.  Won't complain too much.

Bullets:
Lots of them and for good prices.  Picked up 100 55gr VMAX bullets in 22caliber for $15.  Typically find these in local gun shops for $20 so I bought a few boxes.

All in all a good show.  Very few tables selling non-gun stuff which is solid gold in my book (at a gun show).

LaughingBear

« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2014, 08:39:35 pm »

NC State Fairgrounds   
Raleigh, NC

Jan 18-19th 2014
May 3-4th 2014
August 2-3 2014
Nov 22-23 2014
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable, and so, if he is romantic, he tries to change it. And even if he is not romantic personally he is very apt to spread discontent among those who are."

H. L. Menken

LaughingBear

« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2014, 08:42:10 pm »

Greensboro Coliseum Special Events Center
1921 West Lee Street Greensboro, NC

February 1 - 2 2014
September 6 - 7, 2014

H. L. Menken

OLD TIRED RN

« Reply #209 on: January 06, 2014, 11:28:31 am »

It was quite the show in Cedar Rapids on the 4th of January.  Pretty well attended but not shoulder to shoulder which was nice. 

Guns:
Plenty.  Rifles, pistols, shotguns, the latest AR with all the frills down to quite a few nice looking WW1 bolt actions rifles.  The prices were high but I wasn't really looking for yet another boomstick so I didn't spend much time looking at price tags.

Ammo:
Plenty except for 22lr.  Prices were insane.  Even the surplus 7.62X54R was 50 cents a round.  9mm hollow point rounds were 80 cents each.

Powder:
Where?  Did you see any?

Primers:
Handful of tables had some.  Prices were surprisingly 'normal'.  Picked up 1000 large pistol primers for $28.  Prices ranged from 28 to 32.

Brass:
Again, only a handful of tables had brass and most was common calibers.  40s, 45s, 223.  Prices were OK.  I found one table in the back corner selling 44spc and 44mag so I cleaned them out.  Picked up 200 cases for $40.  Not too bad especially for the magnum cases which I rarely find.  Found one table selling new cases so I purchased a bag of 30-30 for 30 cents each.  Won't complain too much.

Bullets:
Lots of them and for good prices.  Picked up 100 55gr VMAX bullets in 22caliber for $15.  Typically find these in local gun shops for $20 so I bought a few boxes.

All in all a good show.  Very few tables selling non-gun stuff which is solid gold in my book (at a gun show).

Thanks so much for the report on the show.  Good on you for finding lots of stuff you were looking for.

RN
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 25   Go Up