The Mental Militia Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st Snowstorm of 2014 (well the first one for my area)  (Read 50949 times)

mi6a2lm

• http://emtaz.com
Re: 1st Snowstorm of 2014 (well the first one for my area)
« Reply #135 on: August 19, 2014, 03:41:45 pm »

Storm petered out by the time it got here ... New River is north valley.  The first pic:  House was carried away and smashed against two trees.

http://www.kpho.com/story/26315734/surge-brings-more-rain-to-valley-of-the-sun
---
A flash flood warning for Maricopa County and surrounding areas was extended until 2:15 p.m. Tuesday.

Structures were demolished, heavy equipment was carried away and ranches were covered by the raging waters in New River, where more than 4 inches of rain was reported. 

A man could be seen in a house surrounded by the raging waters and waving a white piece of cloth at news helicopters near 46100 N. 43rd Ave.
---

On the other hand, when life gives you lemons break out the salt and tequila.

---
In another Laveen neighborhood three dogs were enjoying themselves with a romp through stomach-high water.
---
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 04:05:36 pm by mi6a2lm »
“This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end - which you can never afford to lose - with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.” - ADM James Stockdale

mi6a2lm

« Reply #136 on: September 08, 2014, 11:16:24 am »

This is the I-10 (6 lanes on either side) at 43rd avenue:

Apparently wettest day on record in Phoenix metro area.  School closures/road closures and such.  It's not a monsoon-like rain but more like a Midwest steady rain.  Pulled the van out of the garage to get it washed by God - he's been slacking off and I don't think I'll tip unless there's Tire Shine applied to the tires ... gratis, of course.

http://www.kpho.com/story/26462862/rain-pounds-valley-morning-commute-a-mess
---
Record-breaking rainfall in the Valley of the Sun played havoc with early morning commuters, closed schools and caused extensive power outages.

Heavy downpours early Monday morning brought freeway traffic to a crawl, closed many surface street intersections and placed the state on a flash flood watch for the rest of the day.

Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport reported 3.06 inches of rain since midnight, breaking the record for the date by nearly 2 inches, Ken Waters of the National Weather Service said.

It marked the wettest day on record for Phoenix since record keeping began in 1895, Waters said.
---
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:18:58 am by mi6a2lm »
“This is a very important lesson. You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end - which you can never afford to lose - with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.” - ADM James Stockdale

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
  • Non aggression, self ownership
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2014, 11:25:06 am »

I just can't believe it!! First frost here is usually about the end of September, and I had tomatoes still ripening last year the first of October... but not this year. Thanks to 'global warming,' I guess, we are looking at first frost this coming Thursday. And snow. Will have to bring in all the green tomatoes and immature squash on Wednesday, just to be sure.  A "high" of 47 on Thursday? Good grief.

Wednesday Night Rain showers likely before midnight, then rain and snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. North wind 7 to 9 mph becoming east after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Thursday A chance of rain and snow showers before noon, then a chance of rain showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 47. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Thursday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 29.
The lust to control the lives and property of others is the root of all evil.

Rarick

• Rarick in the Gulch-O-Dome did decree.......
« Reply #138 on: September 09, 2014, 07:14:58 am »

Still have flash flood warnings active here, fortunately........(on a better him than me basis) Phoenix is catching most of it.  The rain 2 months ago was far worse so far.
........Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side, a darkside and holds the universe together.  It is theoretically reinforced with strings too.  (The dome has a darkside, lightside and strings of rebar for reinforcement too!)
-------------------------------------------
Most of the time news is about the same old violations of the first principles of consent and golden rule with a dash of force thrown in........ with just enough duct tape to be believable.

mi6a2lm

« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2014, 10:20:12 am »

Another load of rain coming:  Hurricane Odile beat up Cabo and now heading north.

http://www.kpho.com/story/26529236/again-hurricane-moisture-poses-az-flooding-threat
---
The newest threat comes as category 4 Hurricane Odile churns near Cabo San Lucas, where it's producing rainfall amounts of 5 to 10 inches with isolated totals of around 15 inches in Baja California Sur.
---

Moonbeam

• Faith Hope Love
  • I am blessed!
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2014, 02:55:01 pm »

I have not read any reports/predictions for this coming winter’s expectations. My own observations have me curious.

About 3 weeks ago we experienced an increase in the hummingbird population in our yard. This is our third summer here and in this time the hummingbirds have stayed pretty consistent in numbers. We have two feeders about 7 feet apart and there are usually three to four birds fighting over those. Three weeks ago though, the number increased to about 10 (hard to count those busy-bodies!). We added a third feeder and I needed to make a double batch of syrup every day, and I cleaned and added fresh syrup daily.

This lasted for two solid weeks until about last mid-week when the numbers returned to the usual 3-4 hummingbirds. My thoughts were that the increase was due to migrating hummingbirds. We see the hummingbirds in our yard until about the 2nd or 3rd week of October. So I thought perhaps it was a tad early to see some migration – perhaps an indication of an early and bitter winter? Then and again, I am unfamiliar with the paths and timing of hummingbirds who may reside further north from us.

No matter. I love these little creatures and they bring me such joy!
I'm not where I want to be, but I'm better than where I was!

Freedom is not being able to do what you want to do; freedom is being able to NOT do what you don't want to do.

"We must not amuse ourselves with the notion that we have done something when we have only formed a good resolution. Power comes by doing and not by resolving." Charlotte Mason

"Don't hurt people and don't take their stuff." Courtesy of FreedomWorks

S. Jester

• Sovereign Anarchist
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2014, 09:53:12 pm »

What I fear: Colder, wetter Summer = even Colder Winter. Especially an earlier arrival of Fall.

S.
"Humanity wouldn't so bad if it weren't for the People"   -Me

"Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes its laws." –Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild

Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor; and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst.  - Robert A. Heinlein

bennie

« Reply #142 on: September 24, 2014, 02:51:55 am »

About 3 weeks ago we experienced an increase in the hummingbird population in our yard. This is our third summer here and in this time the hummingbirds have stayed pretty consistent in numbers. We have two feeders about 7 feet apart and there are usually three to four birds fighting over those. Three weeks ago though, the number increased to about 10 (hard to count those busy-bodies!). We added a third feeder and I needed to make a double batch of syrup every day, and I cleaned and added fresh syrup daily.
No matter. I love these little creatures and they bring me such joy!

We always have a feeder up in the spring and summer. Usually can count on half a dozen of the little snotty kamikazes hanging out fighting each other for sole owner of the food. The one that is the baddest  badass we always name him Gomez.
About a month ago the numbers increased and my wife put up another feeder. She has had to add food 2-3 times daily...keeps a stash in the frig. There have been at least 30 non-stop guzzlers (impossible to count there are so many). One thing is that with the increased numbers they have stopped fighting each other and have learned to share very well.
Monday was the first day of autumn and we got  a cold snap (highs in the 80's and lows in the 60's). Yesterday morning I only saw 3 of them feeding. Guess it is time for them to move along perhaps. It will warm up later this week so maybe we haven't really seen the last of them.
Usually we have ruby throated hummingbirds but this summer we have at least 3 types of the birds. One of them are very large hummingbirds and we haven't figured out what they are. Lot of babies born this summer and they grew up quick.
We do enjoy all types of birds and never know what will land in the yard. We keep a book and binoculars to indentify something we are not sure about. Hummingbirds are really a blast to be sure and our favorite. When they get used to you they will chatter away to you, even buzz by your head, or fly up to the window to watch what you are doing in the house.

mi6a2lm

« Reply #143 on: September 26, 2014, 12:44:35 pm »

Hmmm - there's not a cloud in the sky.  Very slight breeze, though.

http://www.azfamily.com/weather/Pacific-storm-system-brings-rain-to-the-Valley-this-weekend-277200031.html

---
 A storm system tracking out of the Pacific Northwest is expected to bring rain the Arizona, including the Valley, this weekend.

This system will tap into moisture already in place across the state and produce storms that may be severe at times with damaging winds, hail and localized flooding. An isolated tornado is also not out of the question across Northern Arizona.
---

{emphasis mine}

"It's quiet.  Too quiet."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:02:33 pm by mi6a2lm »

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #144 on: September 26, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »

Not going to get even close to 90 today, right at 81 now at noon... but see the drop during next week. By next Thursday the day time high is expected to be just 59 degrees.  Everything left in my garden is just so CONFUSED. sigh Some freeze touched and half dried tomato vines are trying to put out new growth at the bottom. Weird.

Most recent forecast:

This Afternoon Sunny, with a high near 92. South wind 8 to 10 mph.
Tonight Clear, with a low around 57. Calm wind becoming east 5 to 7 mph in the evening.
Saturday Sunny, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 8 mph in the afternoon.
Saturday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 54. East wind 5 to 9 mph becoming light and variable after midnight.
Sunday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 7am. Partly sunny, with a high near 74. Light and variable wind becoming east 5 to 9 mph in the morning.
Sunday Night A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms, then showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm after 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 48. East wind 8 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Monday Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 64. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Monday Night Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 47. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Tuesday A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 65.
Tuesday Night A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 43.
Wednesday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny, with a high near 59.

mi6a2lm

« Reply #145 on: October 12, 2014, 08:24:16 am »

Triple digits are gone - but power $ decreases.  yay

DiabloLoco

« Reply #146 on: October 12, 2014, 08:51:48 am »

I just turned on my heat last night. Been cold here at night and in the morning. There has been frost on the vehicles for the last 4 mornings.

MamaLiberty

• Administrator
    • The Price of Liberty
« Reply #147 on: October 12, 2014, 12:20:22 pm »

51 and rainy outside today, 65 and comfortable inside. No heat needed so far.

Bill St. Clair

• Techie
    • End the War on Freedom
« Reply #148 on: October 12, 2014, 01:09:39 pm »

Temp went below freezing for a couple of hours this morning, but no detectable frost.

Heat's been on at night for a couple of weeks.
"The state can only survive as long as a majority is programmed to believe that theft isn't wrong if it's called taxation or asset forfeiture or eminent domain, that assault and kidnapping isn't wrong if it's called arrest, that mass murder isn't wrong if it's called war." -- Bill St. Clair

"Separation of Earth and state!" -- Bill St. Clair

colonial shooter

« Reply #149 on: October 12, 2014, 01:59:43 pm »

Inside temps 60-63. started first fire of the season yesterday. May be a long cold winter.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up